What is “light piping”????

• Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

Hello all. One question.

What is “light piping” in reference to some clear fluorocarbon fishing lines? I have read of it, every now and then, but each article does not give out an explanation. The only sample I could dig up is In-Fisherman April/May 2008, page 38. That article mentions using a green tint fluoro to eliminate it… so I am guessing “light piping” is a bad thing.

Does the sunshine pipe all the way down to the lure while it is in the water? Kind of like a fiber optic cable? Would that be a bad thing?

I see no real disadvantage if it is just an above water line sparkle.

Maybe I am thinking too hard about this. Anyway, I am off to a BBQ competition. (YES!) (arm pumps)

I will check next week for any reply.

Thanks
    – Boogs

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Light piping is what you give the queen after she has had a baby.

Heavy piping is what you give the gal you meet at the club, after 1AM

The Dog.

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

“light piping” in the automotive industry is a term used to describe a condition in which you have back light coming through in areas of the dash board you do NOT want light to be coming through. For instance, your little green blinker arrow. The arrow should illuminate when you turn your blinker on. If there is process issue while screen printing that particular applique, areas around the green arrow would emit light too. Heck, it may not even look like a green arrow if the condition is bad enough.

Not sure how the term is applied to fishing line. I’d be curious as to what others have to say on that.

garydickmeyer
    plymouth

it coudn’t mean checking out a boat seeing him catch fish then moving in on his “line” at a distance from his boat knowing that eventualy you will get to the spot on his “line” that he caught fish. unless that boat is a tiller

riverfan
    MN

Light piping is an optical phenomenon where light bounces of the wall of, and stays within a media such as fiberglass strands of a fiber-optic bundle. I’ve seen underwater footage where the fishing line appeared to glow from sunlight within the line. I wouldn’t expect the process to be unique to fluorocarbon line. Any translucent fiber will light pipe.

John

big_g
    Isle, MN

Light piping, is when you have run out of Zig Zags & your getting low…..

Really, I have no idea…

big G

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.