Outboard service

• Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

I’m a newbie to servicing an outboard. I’ve inheritied a fishing boat with a 35hp Merc outboard, I beleive the motor and boat were new in 1991. The motor has received little service over the past 5 years, I had it in the water 3 years ago and it seemed to run fine.

I’m wondering if I should take it in for a tune-up or if there is some maintenance I can do on my own? Also, I’m missing the manual for the motor, any thoughts on where I can get a manual or book that would give me some general information on performing maintenance?

Thanks,

Matt

Bassn Dan

Glen at Dornfeld’s Marine in Winona is a real good mechanic and is reasonably priced. He’s located across from Fleet Farm and about a mile down river. (507) 452-2129

Dan

big-muddy
    Rockfalls, Illinois

If it is a two stroke motor, just change the plugs and the lower unit oil. Make sure that when you drain the lower unit oil that it is not milky or viens of white in it. This indicates that you are getting water in the oil through a leaky seal, and it needs to be replaced. Also check the screw on the lower unit when you remove it to change the oil. It’s usually magnatized and will attract any filings or grinding from the gears. If there is an exess of filings you may want to have it looked at. If the motor is going to be stored for a period, you’ll want to fog the cylinders to prevent moisture from building up in the cylinders. Other than that you should have a certified mechanic do any ither work on it.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I would also suggest getting the impeller done too.
    FDR

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.