Not fishing, but just have to brag about the boy

• 2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

My youngest boy is a Pro Staff Shooter for Matthews bows, and he has been doing exceptionally well this year.

He was at the 2009 NFAA World Archery Tournament in Las Vegas, and after three days of shooting, was tied with 17 other guys with all of them shooting a perfect 300 every day, and the same number of x’s (there were 177 guys total in his class). They had a shootout to determine the winner, he finished 8th, but still in the money, and his highest ranking to date.

There is a clip in the attachment, quite long, but they do a short interview with each shooter before the rounds begin (like they weren’t nervous enough), but it gives you an idea of what pressure is. Grant is about the 5th or 6th shooter introduced. His full name is Grant Schleusner.

And this past weekend, he attended the Wisconsin State Tournament in Wisconsin Rapids, and he shot a clean 600 w/ 120x to take first place. Next will be Nationals in Louiseville, KY.

Las Vegas Shootout

June

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Good Luck Grant!

(here I thought this post was going to be about Tom P! )

redneck
    Rosemount

That is very impressive!!! Good luck to him at the upcoming tournament–not that he’ll need it. Sounds like he is deadly with a bow!

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Congrats Grant!!! Good luck at the next shoot.

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Quote:

Good Luck Grant!

(here I thought this post was going to be about Tom P! )

I get it….not about fishing…so it must be TomP….. ……if it doesn’t get to be fishing time pretty soon, both Tom and Jim will start getting snarly. They are going through withdrawals.

Jeff Matura
    Sumner, IA

That’s awesome…

Another kid growing up with the outdoor spirit! Great job Dad!

jmm

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Congrats and Good Luck!

FDR

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Quote:

That’s awesome…

Another kid growing up with the outdoor spirit! Great job Dad!

Quote:

The credit really goes to mom, June, she is the sharp shooter who in her earlier years has a collection of trophy’s for a number of regional,state , and national championships under her belt. She has retired from the circuit but come deer hunting season she still gets into the hunt. That’s when I have to make my own “cookies”.

Jim

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Awesome& Congrats to you and your son!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Congrats Grant!

I participated in the Vegas tourney myself.That many shooters on the line at one time is a true test of ones mental discipline and concentration.That is truly a significant accomplishment!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

That is sweet! I just started shooting Bow last fall and am shooting a Switchback XT by Mathews. Hopefully someday I shoot half that good! Good luck too him I’ll have t o keep checking the updates at our archery club now that I have someone to watch.

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Quote:

That is very impressive!!! Good luck to him at the upcoming tournament–not that he’ll need it. Sounds like he is deadly with a bow!

I have always been amazed at his skill……but I was truly impressed this fall when he shot a buck at 65 yds…..through the heart. He said he couldn’t resist. But then, he does shoot up to 80 yards in outdoor tourneys.

June

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Quote:

Congrats Grant!

I participated in the Vegas tourney myself.That many shooters on the line at one time is a true test of ones mental discipline and concentration.That is truly a significant accomplishment!

I had a shoot-off in a state tournament once, I was standing on the line, in the third round of shooting, on the second arrow, the swedge broke on my string, and the string slapped back, cut my forearm, and slapped me across the left chest (and girls tend to be chesty)….the arrow hit the wall, I hit the floor. A friend pulled out his sons bow, and got it set up as close to mine as they could within the 15 minute time slot allowed. Then I got 10 arrows to sight in before I had to continue scoring. By the time I had to shoot, all the other shooters were off the line. I didn’t think I could muster the calm I needed to shoot a bow again, much less on the line alone. But all of the male pro shooters came and stood on the line with me, and stayed until I finished. Somehow I shot it clean and won my division. That was the hardest test of nerves I ever had to go through.

June

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Shooting that many X’s with a 600 score is very very good. I commented last year when you posted how many X’s he shot on a 300 round and I said he had to be one of the best in the nation, looks like he is. Isn’t that a perfect score with that many X’s on 60 arrows? Congradulations!

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Quote:

Shooting that many X’s with a 600 score is very very good. I commented last year when you posted how many X’s he shot on a 300 round and I said he had to be one of the best in the nation, looks like he is. Isn’t that a perfect score with that many X’s on 60 arrows? Congradulations!

Thanks to you and everyone else for all the comments.

Yes, it is a perfect score. two practice rounds of 5 arrows each, then the scoring rounds are 12 rounds of 5 arrows each, with a possibility of each of the 5 arrows scoring 5 points towards the score, and an “x” count for every arrow in the “x” ring. So a perfect score per round is 300 with 60x. Most state, regional and national tournaments are one round of shooting on the first day and one round the second day. The World Tournament in Vegas and the shoot in Atlantic City are usually three days of shooting.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Congratulations!! I personally seek out Grant at Scheels for any bow questions I may have. Very nice and fun to talk to.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

What the X’s mean for those that don’t know is 300 points is a perfect round in points and alot of guys shoot a 300 point round. Besides having shoot off after shoot off to the point where the archers start fatigueing to see who wins they score whos the better shot by placing a 1/2″ high X in the circle. Any archer with a 300 point round and the shooter who hits the most X’s is the winner, thats how they keep track of the very good shooters. At 20 yrds thats hard to do.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.