lead line to mono

• maurice

need to learn the proper way to tie leaded line to mono leader—help please thanks in advance–snagged

Don Hanson

First remove the desired amount of lead and the tie a bllod knot. Take 8 to 12 inches of fishing line from both sources, holding one in each hand.
    Cross the line, making an “x”, with the 8 to 12 inches available from the tag end of both pieces.
    Hold the right side of the “x,” take the tag end line and wrap it around the spool end line 5 times. Rather than an “x,” the 2 lines should now appear to make a “v” on the left side and twisted on the right side.
    Take the tag end from the right side and bring it down into the crook of the “v” on the left side, making a large loop. Hold the tag end in place.
    Use the left side that makes the “v” shape, take the spooled line and twist it around the tag end line 5 times, being careful to twist in the opposite direction as you did on the right side.
    Put the tag end of this side up through the same center loop as the other tag end was, but be careful to move it through the center hole in the opposite direction as the other tag end entered the hole.
    Grab the spool end lines and pull away from each other (away from the center) once the tag ends have passed through the center hole in opposing directions. Be careful to not put any pressure on the 2 tag end pieces. Pull until the loops in the lines cinch down and become snug against each other.
    Trim the excess line from the tag ends down to approximately one eighth inch.
    Never has failed and I do alot of leadline trolling.

timmy

The blood knot works well – but my favorite is the willis knot….at least that is what I think it is called……

Strip out about 3 inches of lead.

Tie a LOOSE overhand knot in the leadcore – work the knot up away from the stripped section

Insert the mono into the empty sheath until it ‘bumps’ into the remaining lead.

Work the loose overhand knot down to near the end of the leadcore sheath and tighten…..

100% knot strength and it’ll never slip.

This is the knot the charter captains usually use when trolling for salmon. If it holds for a big king, it ain’t slipping on anyhting else! It results in only a single overhand knot in the line that slips easily through the guids and into a reel……

Tim

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

A nail knot might work. That’s one for tying mono to fly line. I use a barrel swivel in this situation.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I use a tiny barrel swivel. I think it also adds a bit of spin security.

jhalfen

I admit to using a tiny swivel.

Takes most of the work out of redoing a leader on the water should you get snagged on whatever….like the gazillion cribs that I snag on Wissota.

It also eliminates the nasty kinks that come when you get a crank that is out of tune and starts doing loop-de-loops behind the boat.

I use a high quality swivel such as a Spro.

I’m putting the finishing touches on a leadcore trolling article that will be a “Leadcore 101” for new users of (IMHO) the best way to troll up a bunch of walleyes. Look for that in the coming weeks.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Quote:

The blood knot works well – but my favorite is the willis knot….at least that is what I think it is called……

Strip out about 3 inches of lead.

Tie a LOOSE overhand knot in the leadcore – work the knot up away from the stripped section

Insert the mono into the empty sheath until it ‘bumps’ into the remaining lead.

Work the loose overhand knot down to near the end of the leadcore sheath and tighten…..

100% knot strength and it’ll never slip.

This is the knot the charter captains usually use when trolling for salmon. If it holds for a big king, it ain’t slipping on anyhting else! It results in only a single overhand knot in the line that slips easily through the guids and into a reel……

Tim

This one works great. A FLW pro showed it to my brother and we’ve been using it ever since.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I’m also a big believer in the “Willis Knot”.
    My king fishing buddy showed it to me. I doubt that there is an easier knot to learn and it has never failed me.

Before that, I always used a “Nail Knot” which also works very well for tying lines of dis-similar diameters. It is also a very strong knot when done correctly and I can’t every remember having a failure with that knot.

I still use a nail knot when tying lead core to superlines. Its easier for me to tie than the blood knot. Lead core to super lines is what I run the most in a years worth of fishing lead core.

Many, many people I know use the “Blood Knot” in this situation. I always had trouble tying this one with lines of dis-similar diameters and that why I always used the nail knot for years.

Jason makes a great point also and when a long lead isn’t necessary, I will also use a swivel to join my leader to the lead core. I like this method when ever my leads are less than 4′ long. I don’t like reeling a swivel into my rod guides and thats why I only use a swivel when using short leads.

Probably best to learn at least two or three different methods of joining lead core to your leader. That way, depending on the situation, you can quickly adapt.

Good luck!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I like to use a small barrel swivel when I run a 6′ or shorter leader otherwise its a “Willis Knot.” I never knew the name, but it sounds good to me.

timmy

With a superline leader (fireline) I just doubled the portion that I inserted into the leadcore sheath to tie the willis…..it worked…..

Tim

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

With a superline leader (fireline) I just doubled the portion that I inserted into the leadcore sheath to tie the willis…..it worked…..

Tim

Hmm…never thought of that.
    What pound test superline were you using?

timmy

10lb fireline. And I can NOT take credit for the idea……I was rigging a rod and my dad was over….after watching me struggle for a minute, he comments(in a very sarcastic tone)…..”If it were me, I would double it to make it stiffer….but that’s just me….”

Thanks dad….

Tim

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.