Yamaha boat motors

• Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between these motors in a 200hp.

HPDI

VMAX

VMAX2

From what I can see, the hpdi is a 2.6 ltr block, and the vmax is 3.3. The hpdi is 60ish pounds lighter than the vmax.

And the rev range is 500 higher on the vmax.

Are the lower units different?

So if you were in the position of buying a new boat, which one would you put on the back?

Thanks,

Jami

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

In general,v-max has a lower gear ratio.
    V-max is pretty much a non-issue for walleye boats in general,as they are no longer available in the long shaft versions for most of todays walleye boats.Bass boats have all the fun!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Too much to type in a short amount of time.

It comes down to the type of engine design and the fuel delivery system. Here is a link to the model comps your looking for. Just click on the model and then the spec.

BTW – I’m a huge fan of the VMAX 2!!

Yamaha

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

A little off topic but I see they list a 200 4 stroke now.Must be new for this year.The HPDI has also been a proven motor if you want a 2 stroke.

Interesting the 200-250 4 strokes are the exact same specs and weight and must be just a de-tuned 250.

camodm
    Wisconsin

Jami. I 2nd what Dean is saying. Unless you are thinking of giving up walleye fishing and spend time fishin the WTC with me. Have a great weekend.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Jami. I 2nd what Dean is saying. Unless you are thinking of giving up walleye fishing and spend time fishin the WTC with me. Have a great weekend.

Sorry Dan, I’ll stick with the white tips…

Jami

camodm
    Wisconsin

I’m not sure what you guys are thinking……fishing in the cold. I did have a good outing with Jason this week with not many fish in the boat. I have to go with it’s better then a good day of work. I did get the used lund sold today that Jason listed so I’m ready for another clean one owner lund boat.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

A little off topic but I see they list a 200 4 stroke now.Must be new for this year.The HPDI has also been a proven motor if you want a 2 stroke.

Interesting the 200-250 4 strokes are the exact same specs and weight and must be just a de-tuned 250.

Always had it Bob…I had it on my G3 a couple years back.

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

Jami,
    I’m guessing you’ve seen these performance reports on Yamahas site.
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/products/otb/bulletins/bulletin_2stroke_hpdi_pro_skt-wx1880-z200txr.pdf

I think the original Vmax series used to be the EFI version. I think it’s an older design engine.
    I’d go with the lighter, HPDI version. It also seems to be the only fit with a 25″ shaft. The HP rating is at 5500 RPM on all of them, but the VMAX’s “range” is up to 6000 RPM. Hmmm?, What are they saying?

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Yea Brian, been looking at those… Wonder what it would do with a 6 inch jackplate…

Jami

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Can you get a 25″ shaft in the VMax2?? I was always under the impression the newer VMax motors were 20″ shafts.

jhalfen

The VMax Series 2 motors only come with 20″ shafts.

The 200 HPDI has a 25″ shaft.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Quote:

Quote:

My memory must be slipin

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

You buying a new rig Jami? or repowering the Lund?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My memory must be slipin

They say it’s the second thing to go!

greg_r
    Woodbury MN

JR, On comparing specs with YAMAHA outboards, the major issue here is to have a lower numerical valued number on the top back portion of the cowling than mine and everything will be just fine… Greg R

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I don’t care what the sticker says, I just want to as I go by…

Jami

jhalfen

The one thing that has entered my thoughts several times in the past few weeks is that the 1880 with 200 HPDI is a 56-57 mph boat. Probably a tick or two slower with a 101 bowmount and a T8, but zippy nonetheless.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Jason,

What is your Ranger’s top end with two guys and a tone of gear?

FDR

jhalfen

Reliably, 48-49.

I have hit 53 before…Solo, low fuel, empty wells.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

You buying a new rig Jami? or repowering the Lund?

Just thinking Brian!!!

Jami

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

That’s where it starts!

Those Skeeters sure look like nice rigs.

Then you start shopping for the goodies to put on it after you get it!

The 202 got a christmas present, a new Lowrance 113C.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Nice, once you have a big screen in the boat, you can’t go back.

Jami

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.