Unemployed, now what? First timer here

• lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Well, before the inauguration finished I was feeling the “change”.

My work was based on site design in a multi-discipline firm, surveyors, civil engineers and landscape architects. As you know there is not much under construction or being planned for privately or publicly.

This was my first job out of school, almost made it 8 years.

Do I go to a physical unemployment office now to sign up for benefits? Insurance? Friends tell me to look into Cobra from work, sound right?

My wife has not been at her current job long enough to be eligible for health insurance. Best part is she is 31 weeks pregnant, due March 20th, yikes. I also have a three year old daughter.

Just looking for advice.

Jason

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Go sign up for unemployment and look into cobra payments with your health insurance company. Take a week off and enjoy the family, go fishing, get some things done around the house you didnt have time to do before. Then start looking for work again.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

That is rough. I think you can do all of the unemployment insurance online. http://www.uimn.org/ good luck.

witt
    Iowa City, IA

Although it doesn’t help to say it, I’ll say sorry to hear it anyway.
    Every state has a form of state-sponsored health care for children. In Iowa it’s called Hawk-I, it’s very affordable health insurance for children ($20/month).
    As for the new arrival (congrats!), you should look into your states WIC program. WIC stands for Women, Infants, and Children, and is basically food stamps for things like formula, cereal, juice, milk, cheese, etc. If you qualify, you get a stipend for each month, and it’s free.
    The taxes you paid on your income for 8 years went to these programs, now it’s your turn to take advantage.
    Best of luck.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Do I go to a physical unemployment office now to sign up for benefits? Insurance? Friends tell me to look into Cobra from work, sound right?

Just looking for advice.

Jason

I think you can call them to open a claim. Do it right away as they make you wait a week before receiving benefits. So it will be a minimum of two weeks before you see a check.

You can also utilize their employment services.

Cobra is the way to go for insurance for now. It will
    last 18 months.

Start networking which may include fishing with prospective
    employers.

Good luck and stay positive!!

Dan

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Personally I couldnt imagine taking any time off to play if I was unemployed which happened to me last October. I worked hard to find another job. And found one.

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Quote:

That is rough. I think you can do all of the unemployment insurance online. http://www.uimn.org/ good luck.

It is rough in some ways, but I tell you I am relieved in a lot of ways. I have been on short weeks since October with not much promise in sight. Feels good to end it and move on.

Not living in Mn very long I look forward to meeting new people and making new friendships. I have made some great ones in the last seven and a half years. I look forward to who I will meet in the next eight years.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Sorry to hear about the job….that bites.

I would polish up your resume and get it out on the job sites like Monster and others. About 2 years ago I was looking to change jobs and used Monster and was really suprised how quickly I was hearing from potential employers….and head hunters.
    Good luck!!

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Quote:

Personally I couldnt imagine taking any time off to play if I was unemployed which happened to me last October. I worked hard to find another job. And found one.

Yeah, I want to get back to work right away. I am really open to anything also. Learn some new skills, just become a better and more well rounded employee and human being. I like going to work and accomplishing something.

I have been on the design side of things, it might benefit me to be on the construction side or product sales side of things now. Maybe an estimator of some sorts. I look at all the options and get excited.

Best part is I have a boy on the way!

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

Sorry to hear about you losing your job. Good luck finding a new one. Best of luck

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

Hey John!

Thanks for the advice.

I saw you cruising that yellow goat this summer around Waconia, she’s a beaut! If I remember right you’re going to be dad also, ready for the best ride in your life?

Take Care,
    Jason

P.S. We never did make it to Mille Lacs together last year!

bradg

You should be able to file your initial claim online using the site previously posted.

Keep your chin up and something will come along. In the meantime there are many places you can search for work on the web. Here are a few that I most recently used while unemployed.

Minnesota Works
    State Of Minnesota Search
    US Govt. Jobs
    Jobs HQ

There are many more out there too. Polish up your resume, and don’t forget to round up a list of good character and industry references to back you up. Also, don’t be afraid to go and apply to companies that fit your background who aren’t advertising a position. I was unemployed since November 1 and applied to a company that fit my background even though they weren’t hiring at the time, and guess what….A couple of weeks ago I got called for an interview and start a great new job on Friday.

alumanator
    New Hope, MN

Just an idea, checks out the Honeywell web site see if they have a job in your area.

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Lots of Luck,
    Sending you a PM in a minute.
    Give us some more information on what type of work, wage, etc. you may be willing to look at.
    You know how this site works and it might be the time that it works for you
    Good luck
    cheers

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Congrats on the boy! Best of luck on the job hunt.Let us know how it turns out

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I lost my first job back in 1998. in most cases people end up much better than they were at the old job. i suggest building a network of professional contacts. this is a great place to start http://www.linkedin.com
    good luck

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Quote:

I lost my first job back in 1998. in most cases people end up much better than they were at the old job. i suggest building a network of professional contacts. this is a great place to start http://www.linkedin.comgood luck

Agreed
    Consider this one as well http://www.plaxo.com
    Good luck
    cheers

gary_wellman
    South Metro

In your scenario, I would recommend researching “Minnesota Care”, being your wife is pregnant and you are unemployed.
    It may be a better option for your family’s health care.

lots-of-luck
    Mayer, MN

I have had two great days since my layoff. My daughter and I are getting lots of quality time. No fishing, but lots of snowmobile riding, playing at the park, grocery shopping and eating. Lots of support from friends and family.

Signed up for unemployment payments today online, very easy process.

buck-slayer

Look for some cash jobs. I don’t know what you do but small construction projects,bartending to name a couple. If you can find one, cash jobs and unemployment go good together

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.