Need computer help!! VIRUS

• jldii

It appears my ‘puter caught a virus.

I accidently clicked on a ad that looked like it was from Microsoft. “Antivirus 2009”. I realized right away it wasn’t a good thing and closed out of it, but it must have been too late.

This computer is running slower than a Yam….

Any ideas on who I should call? Geek Squad, ect….

NickJohnson

call the geek squad and quit using it asap we had same thing and continued to use it and lost everything it will run you about 300 bucks they said they were getting good at fixing this one

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Try a system restore

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Where are you located? Probably an easy fix, i could take a look at it for you if you are around me. Im in Maple Grove.

jldii

I’m in Maple Grove too!!

Just off 101st and Zachary.

Give me a call. 763 360 5811

Bassn Dan

I agree with PeteyB, run System Restore first (going back to a date PRIOR to the virus) and then update and run your antivirus software. If you don’t have antivirus software, download AVG’s Anti-Virus Free Addition from download.com and run that to hopefully clean this out.

If none of this works, transfer your data to a CD, etc. and format the hard drive.

Good luck.

Dan

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Download Malwarebytes anti-malware. It will knock that sucker right out of there. Typically, I have seen that downloaded when someone tries to launch a video. If the video prompts you to run an executable, don’t do it.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

Download Malwarebytes anti-malware. It will knock that sucker right out of there. Typically, I have seen that downloaded when someone tries to launch a video. If the video prompts you to run an executable, don’t do it.

Malware bytes should do it

jldii

Quote:

Quote:

Malware bytes should do it

I’ve downloaded Stopzilla to do the work that my McAfee wasn’t doing, and have been told to uninstall one or the other since they combat each other, so I gave McAfee the boot.

Do I need to uninstall the Stopzilla to download the Malwareantibytes? The Stopzilla was $9.95.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Dunno, I would just download it an try, malwarebytes is free

mypearl

i can help you from my home if you want to call me. send me a pm and lets fixer. might take some time and hard work (as in waiting). BTW system restore wont work. try this for starts ok.

1. all windows updates are done!

2. install and run ccleaner on all users, clears out stuff before virus scan.

3. install avg and update avg anti virus

4. turn off system restore

5. go into safe mode and run avg anti virus. ya know scan the machine

6. your done. you should be 100% clean and brand new again.

7. reboot to normal and turn system restore back on

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

I had the same problem with my kids computer and ran the Malware and it got rid of all the crap! ?? now is every time I start the computer it wants me to do a disc check? I usually “press any button to skip it” but it’s annoying to have to do it! Any ideas as to how to get by that? And…now I can’t see any images (pictures or graphics?) on the internet. I installed DirectX 10 again but it said it failed and to check the log? What would I be looking at in the log?

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

I got the pictures thing fixed (internet options, show pics) now I just need to fix the disk check thing at start up.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

You have let the disk check run fully through right?

I can’t offer any advice, I have some ideas of what I would try, but I’m far from a computer wizz, I’ve just messed mine up a bunch of times

Sorry can’t help ya better myself.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Quote:

You have let the disk check run fully through right?

I don’t have to. I can hit any button and it ends it but it’s annoying to do each time the computer starts up. Even if I let it scan it and let it start up it still wants to scan the next time it’s turned on. Maybe I need to go into the safe mode and change the settings there?

nick
    Lakeville, MN

It’s probabaly with in msconfig, normally I google around til I find an answer, so far it’s helped me everytime, though it isn’t always the easiest or fastest. I supect someone who knows what they are talking about will come along soon enough

mypearl

Let the disc check thing complete! Then it won’t prompt u next time. Don’t try msconfig anything that’s kinda playing with fire, no disrespect. Go up a few posts and do my directions, and actually anyone could. Those steps got me called the goto guy for an “oil change” at work. It’ll make your computer new again. Hope I’m helping ya.

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

Quote:

Let the disc check thing complete! Then it won’t prompt u next time.

I do and let it run thru but it still wants to do the disc check. And when I go into the safe mode all I get is this screen that shows all the registry keys?? I think that’s what it is?

jldii

I downloaded the Malware, and it knocked the problems out of there, and everything is good now. Haven’t had any problems with it running a scan all the time either, only when I click on “scan now”.

Thanks for everyones advice with this problem.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.