Kansas fall trolling-not what you expect

• sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

Guys its time for that awesome fall bite on mille lacs and with a bad back I’m not going to make it up this year.Last year was awesome.Thanks to James and Chris for all the help learning what to do and the couple great nights we had with them.Thanks also to all the other great guys for the fun we had .Some of you may recognize these two kids.
    We are making the best of it here and have been catching some good fish all summer but never really had time to sit down and write about it but lately it has just gotten awesome.The kids are truly diehard about fishing and the weather isnt slowing them down.About a month ago the water temp droppedto around 65 and the fish moved in to around 12-15 ft during the day and we were catching eyes up to 6-7 lbs and 10-15 wipers from 2-6lbs each day out on frenzys and x raps .color changed day to day depending on wind and cloud cover.we were also catching a few flatheads up to 10lbs. Then the weather got warm again and things fell apart.water temps went back over 70 and it was even tough to pull in a wiper.Then last week the cold weather moved back in and all hell broke loose.Saturday the kids were dead set to fish and in the light rain and 50 degreeday with 10-15 mph winds I was a little sceptical.We loaded up and were on the water about 2 with winter coats and frogg toggs.We started trolling some of the earlier hot spots dragging an assortment of firetiger frenzys a orange x rap and a model a bomber. We hadn’t even gotten a good start when a pole doubled and my daughter thought she had her first wiper that drug off 30 ft of line on a walleye trolling rod.After the fish tUrned she said it wasn’t a wiper but didn’t know what she had.A few minutes later a 10 lb flathead was in the boat .Odd way to start out but that set the stage for the day.Nearly all flatheads hanging over rocks in 13 ft of water .We caught a couple 15-20″ saugeye but ended up with 6 flathead in about 6 hrs of fishing.The kids fought and landed all of them except the one I have in the picture .It was the 3rd largest of the day and we took it on a 6’6″ walleye jigging rod trolling it short behind the boat on 8# line. A couple of the fish we culdn’t get pictures of because the rain was coming down so hard at the time.I was real proud of the kids for how good they did fighting these fish and running the net.Never busted one off all day.Any idea on what they might weigh.I didn’t have a scale in the boat at the time and would guess some of the larger ones might go upper 20’s .Eat your heart out BrianK

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.