Our parental rights!!

• 1lkstage
    Mankato, MN

During attending nephews graduation, Upon arrival, I didn’t initially put the NRA tee shirts, the whole family and grandparent were wearing togather till they showed us the copy of the Tyler Tribune. What happened by the RTR School board was uncalled for. I have attach a part of it below.
    With us of course, recieving an accual inventation, which shows him with his huntings dogs holding a gun, a beautiful picture of him with a huge walleye, and a picture of him shooting his bow. Some of these photo where not taken out of the year book.
    Long story short, He was unable to participate in the Graduation ceremonies.
    With all the gun/knife restrictions in school, This is what it has led to. Teaching/learning our own kids what the outdoors is all about, This is what they get in return!
    The Grad himself was a 1/2 credit short of graduating, but they were unaware of this till 3-4 days before graduation. My own daughter was short of graduating last year and she was still able to go thru commencement, and complete during summer school.
    I can only pull the following info myself, Hopefully someone out there can pull the full article as it was written by the mother. I will try to get my sister in law/brother to put thier own 2 cents in.
    I’m not sure were they are at know, but they have already received letters directly from the NRA.

TYLER TRIBUNE:
    The Russell-Tyler-Ruthton School Board spent a substantial amount of time discussing proposed changes to the student handbook at Monday evening’s regular meeting. High school principal Pam Bush presented the board with the proposed changes, most of which were changes in terminology. Most of the discussion, however, surrounded a recent controversy over the submission of a picture by a student who was posing with a bow and arrow. Mrs. Bush’s recommendation was to spell out in the handbook the fact that printing photos with weapons would be prohibited. Board Chairman Paul Erickson suggested that more information should be gathered before the final decision is made. “I think we need to check with other schools,” said Erickson, “and with the MSBA (Minnesota School Board Association).” Board member Bill Clark agreed. “I also would like to see what other districts are doing,” Clark told the board.

Board member Mike Barron felt that sometimes less is more when making the rules. “You can only have so much stuff in the handbook,” Barron said. “There are going to be loopholes. It’s too bad we end up with a situation like this. Where do we put the line?” Erickson felt a decision would have to be made, however. “We probably need to address it,” Erickson said, “It has become an issue.”

Mrs. Bush was asked about last year’s annual, where pictures were printed with students holding weapons. “It was supposed to be edited and it did not happen,” Bush explained. “What I’m referring to [with the proposed changes] is the pictures in the senior section.”

Clark hinted that it may be a matter of personal preference, which could change over the course of years. “Just because the current administration finds that distasteful, doesn’t mean the next one will feel that way,” Clark said.

Superintendent Bruce Houck said that the law dictates otherwise. “Under Federal law [the administration has to] assure [that we] will have nothing along those lines,” Houck reported. “If you approve this type of thing, I can’t sign those assurances. We’ve never had anybody challenge the administration before. If you guys want to break the law, that is your business.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.