Replacing wood in transom

• krazzyk45
    La Crosse, WI

I have an older 14′ fiberglass boat and the wood in the transom is rotten. I don’t really want to put a ton of work or money into this boat b/c it’s probably not worth it and I will probably upgrade in the next year or two. Does anyone have any experience with this. Will I be able to just rip out the old wood and stick a new piece in? Any advice on how to make this the least painfull for me? Thanks.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

My dad just did it with his boat. We replaced all of the rotted wood in the boat, the floor, seat backs etc and he fixed up the boat to his liking. Unfortunately, we never checked the transom and found out by busting the mounting bolts through the transom fiberglass.

Long story short, my dad said he would have just junked the boat if he had known the transom was rotted out but had so much work into it that he ended up repairing it.

So, if you want to know how he did it, send me a PM and I’ll give you his phone number, I’m sure he’s love to tell you how he fixed it.

NSD

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Marine plywood. The best place to get it can be your local marina. They usually get a good price, since the use it on all their docks and walkways, and go through a ton of it.
    I just did the stern of a 14′ aluminum, and lucked out, the marina I went to had a pile of scrap and they let me have the piece I needed.
    BTW, I have no idea about whether it was the right solution for a boat stern, but it was the hardest plywood I could find and it had the word “marine” in it , how can ya go wrong.
    Good luck
    STCROIXER

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Fiberglass transom?
    Honestly;
    I wouldn’t touch it.
    The cheapest anyone will do it will be for about $1500, up to $3500.

Reason I wouldn’t touch it is because you have to cut off the top cap. You are dealing with a critical piece of structure that is strictly there for strength purposes.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

That’s what my dad did but he’s retired and has fiberglass experience.

Cut the top off, dig out the old wood, replace with new structure and fill and refiberglass the top. Fun!

krazzyk45
    La Crosse, WI

Thanks for the info guys.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.