WHat’s everyone’s opionion on Glooomis Vs St Croix

• jmiller
    Blaine, MN

Just wondering what everyone prefers for rods. 3 category’s

1) jigging (vertical or snap jigging) Me i like a sjr721 glx 6ft.

2) Rigging Rod. IMX9000 med lite 7ft

3) Pulling spinners with big weights 1-4oz.
    I don’t have a rod i like for doing this right know i have a 8’6 lightning rod and i hate it. There is no sensitivity at all.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

3. St Croix Avid in an 8 ft length works well up to 2 oz weights….anything above that I use the cabelas depthmaster bottom bouncing setup, plus they are dirt cheap!

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

#3 G-Loomis HSR981C
    back when I built custom rods this blank worked great as a hvy weight (1/2-3oz) trolling rod
    fast tip lots of backbone
    It’s listed as a salmon hotshot rod but it will work great for what your doing

GNFISN

Look at the 6′-3″ Med. Avid spining – Nice.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

I don’t think any other rod can beat a fast tip Loomis for vertical jigging, pitching jigs,three-way jigging or casting light baits if you pick the correct model for weight and purpose. For trolling or casting heavier baits and weights where sensitivity is not a major issue many less expensive products will work.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I agree with the SJR721. Nice Jigging rod.

For bottom bouncing I use a St. Croix Avid AC80MF. 8 foot, 8-20 lb test, 3/8 – 3 oz lure.

For rigging – a Loomis IMX HS9000.

das_bass
    Mound, MN

I prefer my Loomis over my St. Croix, except when it comes to prices. Unfortuanatley, had warrenty work to deal with for both Loomis and a St. Croix a year or so ago, and the Loomis warrenty resulted in less money out-of-pocket to get the replacement rod in my hand. If you think your rod is going to be in a possition where it can get banged up over the years, I would probably go with the Loomis. Otherwise, I would go for the St. Croix.

fearnofish82
    Warroad/LOTW

I prefer loomis over St. Croix as well. I don’t have time to check what all the model numbers are right now though . I believe they make a very quality product, although u do pay for it. I’d never fish with anything else now. I also like the excellent customer service and the ultra fast warranty/ replacement services. A few years ago, a rod tip got broke on a saturday on the way up to a week long vacation, due to poor unpacking procedures , and i had a replacement shipped to the resort by tuesday morning .

rembrant
    Waterloo,Iowa

Crossing, I have done all that you mentioned with a GLX sjr722. Pulled 2 oz. sinkers with rapalas or spinner rigs. Vertical Jigged and trolled crankbaits and even lead lined some with no complaints, Oh yea this is all without any rod holders! Thats why we fish isnt it to feel that solid “thump” on the rod?!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Both companies make a good product but I’ve never found a Loomis I liked at all for casting light jigs. Their rods feel short and stubby to me. St. Croix has really raised the bar with some of their newer rods… their IPC technology going into the tournament and elite rods has really elevated their offerings while I don’t think Loomis has really made any improvements in their lineup in a few years.

I don’t think a guy could go wrong with a rod from either company but I do prefer St. Croix and don’t believe there’s a better rod made by anyone, anywhere.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I certainly agree with James on these rods. The St. Croix rods that I own, and thats a bunch, to me are the best rods around. I’m a St. Croix diehard you could say. They do everything I want and need them to do and them some. Very sensitive, very high quality, and they feel right in your hands. I’m VERY much sold on them.
    Thanks, Bill

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

The difference as I see it (alluded to by James) are the rod taper/actions. One of my fishing partners was Loomis sponsored and had several 6’6″ and 7′ Walleye rods.

We have tried/compared each others extensively.

St Croix tapers very quickly and to very small tip diameters in their top line rods for great sensitivity and quick loading for hooksets…the fine dia. tip also helps casting light offerings…I find the Loomis rods excellent albeit more moderate tapered with heavier tip sections.

I’m sure you could get used to both as far as jigging/rigging rods go…I like the XFast action and sensitive tips of the St.Croix… especially the 6’8″ MXF

For heavy BB rods…I have limited experience…

jerry_ruffolo
    Manitowoc, WI

I find it hard to compare St Croix rods to G Loomis. I have 4 G Loomis IMX series rods I used for vertical jigging and they are awesome. I also have 4 St. Croix Avid rods designed for the same type of fishing. They are great but I like the feel of the G Loomis IMX series better. I do agree with James about casting…..I prefer the longer St. Croix rods for pitching plastics and live bait. The tapers for these rods are different, as the SJ series of Loomis rods is stiffer and, in my opinion, is not made for pitching and retrieving. The 7′ St Croix Avid ML action I have is my favorite all around rod, as it can double for live bait rigging and pitching. It is rated as fast but compared to the Loomis it’s taper is slow and it’s tip is softer, making it beter for casting bait and plastics.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.