Barges

• Art

Been out of area all week working, see in Rochesters thursday paper there were 3 barges in Fountain City racing for St. Paul. Any status reports. Tried to check everything, but couldn’t find any reports. Thanks

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

There was at least 5 (that I saw) make there way through pool 8 this week.

There should also be a lot of coal headed for Alma. The power plant ran out over a week ago. I bet someone got there chewed out

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

Thursday afternoon I was out on Pool #4 in Wabasha and a Barge went by heading north.

HYBES
    SE MN

I heard Cooperative Venture is at the cities today.

Art

Thanks. I’ve heard for years that the first barge company that gets through get’s free docking for the year. Sounds like a lot of $ involved. Anybody know for sure about this? Have heard a lot of story’s about this both ways(usually after a couple Windsors).

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

I heard on the radio this afternoon that the first barge went thru lock & dam # 2 at Hastings today.

River is up 6-8 feet above normal.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

The Patrick Gannaway came through Lock and Dam #1 “ford dam” yesterday.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Was that the one right at dark at the ford dam. The boy cam out of no ware. Sure was cruising down river also. How would you like to be the one to drive those barges threw hidden falls area.

Pier. Where you fishing the creek again last night. I had my bigger boat out last night and had a heck of a time getting a anchor to hold there.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

That’s funny you should say that he came up through the lock and never missed a beat while the fire, lock and sheriff rescue boats were still in the area he didn’t seem fazed by anything including the helicopters hovering just above the water.

I think he makes 5 or 6 runs a day we saw him at about 2:30 pm.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Was that the one right at dark at the ford dam. The boy cam out of no ware. Sure was cruising down river also. How would you like to be the one to drive those barges threw hidden falls area.

Pier. Where you fishing the creek again last night. I had my bigger boat out last night and had a heck of a time getting a anchor to hold there.

One sharp curve below Lock No. 1 bears the name Monkey Rudder Bend, a name given by old rivermen because of the number of boat rudders bent or broken in trying to navigate it.

No I was above the Dam.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Saw the first one I’ve seen this year go through the lock on Pool 1 rigt below the 35W bridge.

damman
    Pepin county Wi

There are no docking fees, they just get the bragging rights to be the first one to make ST Paul for the year.

duramax_2001
    Hastings, mn

Quote:

There was at least 5 (that I saw) make there way through pool 8 this week.
    There should also be a lot of coal headed for Alma. The power plant ran out over a week ago. I bet someone got there chewed out

I have been one of the many trucks hauling coal from Genoa up to Alma. Nice run along the river in a few spots. SOunds like we are done now that the barges are in service. maybe a couple more weekends but that is it. Alot of guys fishing down in Genoa. I couldn’t believe all the people and boats fishing down there. My question is, are they bitting or are you guys just making it look good? I even saw the Amish down there one day. They had there horse a buggy parked across from the dam. They have been fishing it hard the last couple weeks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.