Bear Facts & Fish Tales

• ggoody
    Mpls MN

Does anybody else agree that listening to Larry Bollig WHINE on the Bear Facts & Fish Tales radio show is getting old and hurting the show.

For starters he’s still on his rant about websites that give EXACT gps coordinates to his buddy The Griz’s “private spots” wing-dams, creek mouths, etc, of course WE “IDA” know all about his false accusations on that rant.

And tonight his ranting was about Map chips and how they are ruining Mille Lacs. He basicly was saying all of his and his Buddy’s spots they have discovered are now being fished by others he was even peeved about 8 mile because after all he was the one who discovered it was 3 miles long.

Oh I almost forgot his rant 3 weeks ago was he was hoping it was illegal for me to call and tell you I caught a limit of Crappies on a particular Lake he didn’t think that was right and maybe Illegal.

Mark Fisher does a great job and you could just feel the embarrassment when he told Larry it was probably legal.

I’m sure he’s great guy and I understand technology has helped immensely I just think he’s going over board and it’s ruining the show IMO.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I haven’t listened to the show, since the day he attacked an “un-named website” and an “un-named fishing guide”.

As far as “taking someone else’s spot”…….
    Unless you PHYSICALLY went out to Mille Lacs and found your own, uncharted mud-flat or rock pile…….and file “name claim” of it, it ain’t yours……..That goes for any body of water.

Very, very, very few fisherman I know actually “found” a spot that is a “super hole” of fish. Someone else told them about it and they possibly figured out how to fish it better.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

You know what Larry? If it gets a Dad/Uncle/Brother out there with a kid and have some success on the water? You are darned right I think the advancements in fishing are great! You know all fishermen and women have searched for more ways to put fish on the ice or in the boat, or even pulled onto the shore. If you (Larry and Griz) choose to live in a cave, than get off the radio, and write an article in a newspaper that no one will read anyway. I this day and age of video games, and all the other indoor activities kids involve themselves with, I need all the help I can get to get them out at times! But! You stick one kid in front of a Marcum fish finder or camera, and watch their faces light up! Even if they are not catching, they are watching and learning.

More than I can say about some of these shows out there on radio and TV.

Watch IDO TV and videos. You WILL learn more about different ways of fishing than you will by taking in any other form of media.

Larry, prove me wrong.

catmando
    wis

I have lot to say but not to interested in typin that much. This larry fellow if your take on him is correct i wonder if he has a gps, depth finder, ect ect ect. fishing has changed alot in my time.limits , biggest. and the way you caught them.Im sure this is true for others with a little age on them they see people on spots were you fished 30 years ago and found by chance or hard work. I just smile and think. they should seen it 25 years ago.. theirs always new and differnt spots or water. just harder to find.Dan

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

They are old school guys with old school ideas, and wish the old days were still here. Face it, there are a lot of “Average Joes” like folks here on IDA who could probably hand them their lunch now on a lot of lakes they thought they “Owned.” Is the fact that people are better at fishing than they were in the days of old? If you look at sizes of fish in Mille Lacs, the Mississippi, and other bodies of water, I would say no.
    They have chosen not to progress with the times, and would rather sit on the air and gripe about it.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Average Joes”

Who are you calling “average” joe?

Just kidding, it is public water, I seem to recall a article about how license sales are going down, if sites like this help you out awsome.And helps people get their kids out on fish

I guess Larry is excited about people loosing interest in hunting and fishing sports

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It’s too bad Larry doesn’t know how to read he email.

…or at least reply to it.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

If you have ever seen Bollig you would understand why he is on radio.. Thank you! That’s my cheap shot for the day!

dd

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Interesting twist you guy’s put on the show.
    First time listeners perhaps?

Their show is the same as this web site. It offers different views and opinions on different subjects. You are entitled to yours, I’m entitled to mine, they are entitled to theirs.

Larry has GPS,locators, heck maybe even a under water camera. Just because he has it does not mean he has to think that they are good. I agree with him, anyone who can afford a GPS with a chip can now find all the traditional spots. Will it help them catch fish? No, but there will now be more lines on that reef then 20 years ago so more fish will be caught.

Using Mille Lacs as an example, how many guy’s have taken off from work in the afternoon and raced to Mille Lacs when the bite was “on”? You were able to do that because trucks are built better for towing these days. Also you are using bigger, faster boats to get onto those spots. You no longer need to factor in winds as much as you did 20 years ago. Now your GPS puts you right on the “hot” reef, your locator tells you fish are present and the game begins. At the end of fishing you head home with the idea you just might do it again later in the week!

20 years ago you didn’t make what I call speed trips to Mille Lacs. You did weekends, or over nights during the week.

I live right on HWY 169, I see the rigs racing up the highway at 2 or 3 o’clock.

In closing Larry was stating “his” opinion, which he is entitled to.(Personally I believe he is right to some extent.)

To those of you who disagree I suggest you do the same that I do with Saturday mornings fan outdoors show with Rob Dreislien. Either take the show and information as his opinion, or just turn the knob and shut it off.

I’ll be interested to see what the Mille Lacs guy’s have to say.

Just like Bear Facts and Fish Tales, these are my own opinions.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Brian, I think my main “problem” if it’s call that, is that it’s a one way street…there isn’t away to expose the other side of the coin.

But your right…and I choose not to listen.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I have to disagree with his statement that map chips are ruining mille lacs. There are more and more people fishing areas that the guides and locals fish. Thats not ruining the lake, thats technology at its finest. The last two years and this winter I have come up to areas where I fish and find people right on the spots. Sure I get upset, but theres 130,000 acres of water to fish. If your a guide on mille lacs and you have a few spots that you rely on, you probably shouldnt be guiding. Theres one guide that constantly complains people are fishing his spots and thats why hes not producing. If you know how to read the lake, you should be able to produce no matter what end of the lake your fishing. And when the fishing is slow, admit it, dont blame others for being in “your” spots.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Quote:

If you know how to read the lake, you should be able to produce no matter what end of the lake your fishing. And when the fishing is slow, admit it, dont blame others for being in “your” spots.

Well said Derek!

desperado

They may be old school in their attitudes toward GPS and putting in the time and effort to find your fishing spots.

BUT don’t kid yourself on them keeping up with equipment and modern methods.

In fact, Larry probably knows more about depth finders than any of us.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Derek, I can’t speak for them but I don’t know if the word “ruin” should have been used. I don’t know if that is what he intended. You have to admit that the chips are putting more and more people on the “spots”. I think that was the point he was attempting to make. “Fishing pressure” can come several different ways, electronics being one way.

I’m not here to defend or convict the guy’s. I’ve listened to their show religiously for years. I don’t always agree with them but I believe they are allowed their opinion.

I don’t believe everything Tom Newstrome says, Griz, Brother Butch,they are pumping product be it guide trips or cook books.

It’s all just opinion.

Boatnut

For the aforementioned host to be sqwauking about someone telling where they catch fish being illegal is kind of like the pot calling the kettle black.

Bear Facts and Fish Tales is usually promoting a few guides/resort owners who are operating without the proper USCG licensing and are therefore uninsured. These folks are doing something that is both illegal and highly unethical and are putting there clients at risk uneccesarily due to the fact that they do not have valid insurance.

The rants may also just be a way to get people to listen and boost ratings.

jldii

I personally have witnessed an increased number of people over the last couple years fishing “spots” that I have been using as guide spots for many years. How much of that increased pressure is a result of these people getting and using new technology, or having seen my boat there repeatedly over the years, I don’t know, but I just accept that as the way things go. I kind of know Bolig, Griz, and a number of other “fishing personalities” and have come to the conclusion that what is happening today is the result of something they and many other “fishing personalities” started years ago, and that is the education of other fishermen. When they started their educating of others it was for their own carreer development and profit. Now that more and more people are getting to a par level with them on the same waters they made their reputations on, they are upset. I guess that the old saying “you made the bed, now you have to sleep in it” holds true here. If they can’t accept that, then they were very short sighted back when they first got the idea of educating and showing others what it is that catches fish. The fishing world is evolving, but apparently they aren’t.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Brian H, I am not at issue with their format whatsoever. I am refering to the “Pot calling the Kettle Black” as was mentioned. He took a IDA Guide to task by stating they were giving “Spot on Spot” information and GPS coordinates. All of which was simply not true. I used to be a faithful listener, and used to call in from time to time. When the whining started, I chose to go elsewhere.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Well said Derek, Jack, and Chris.

That is what this thread is about. It would apply to us as well, if “we” acted the same way.

I too use to listen to their show for many years. My radio is on 1500am more than most other stations.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

You are right Chris. Griz originally went after IDA for giving out GPS coordinates on the river. Maybe I should, but I don’t even use my GPS on the river. Wingdams aren’t that hard to find. Break out your copy of the DNR’s Mississippi River Guide and you will find every single one marked. It was just whining on the radio about something that wasn’t true and IDA didn’t even do.

dd

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.