Mississippi River “Drawdown”

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve always had an interist in biology and the drawdowns have held my interist. The fresh plant seed thats in the water can now rest on the bottom and germinate. I know the areas that now have new plant life in them now have more oxygen that supports all the living species in and out of the water. Where the bottoms of the backwaters, bays and coves use to be void of any plant life theres now vegetation growing. The fish when they spawn have a safer place from predation and the fingerlings have a better chance of survival. With new plant growth the beavers, muskrats, racoons, mink etc. have more vegetation that supports thier food supplies. With the amount of aquatic insects that are going to be available around these plants the fish and birds that feed on them now have more food. The whole ecosystem in the shallows of these pools is improved by the new growth. I know plants support more life in the river bottom backwaters than does a mud bottom. Maybe a drawdown every 2 to 3 years would raise the wildlife populations by 10% to 15%, maybe more, i can only see good letting these plants reestablish themselves again, plantlife is a must in any healthy ecosystem, in or out of the water.

2Fishy4U

If definately helps with the panfish, especially sunfish. On the drawdown pools they spent most of last summer along the wingdam rocks.

As for the Walleye I think it may hurt a bit, albeit I have no explaination why; we just didn’t have as much luck last year.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I don’t know about fishing, but there is NO QUESTION in my mind it did wonders for the vegetation the ducks use on Pool 8.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Someone posted a before and after pic of one they did on the mississippi sometime ago, I remember it being a really dramatic change, which looked to be for the good.

I wonder if the walleye’s have that much more cover so they are harder to find.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.