It may have been ugly but…

• fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

…I can now consider the Packers season a success even if they lose next week to the Bears practice squad and end up at 7-9. Any season that the Packers beat the Purple Pansies (Vikings for those of you who are color blind) twice in a season is a successful season in my estimation. A win in Chicago against the Bears practice squad might just be all it takes for Favre to hang it up. According to the experts there is a very slim chance that the Pack could still end up in the playoffs if several things fall into place. I’d rather not see them make it if they are going to get trounced in the first round especially if this is Favre’s last season. In any case despite last night’s win being as ugly as it was it was still a win and better yet it was against the Vikings!

Eyehunter

jdbruesewitz
    Isle, MN

Sure is alot of football talk on here today. I don’t know why were talking about either team.

tcfishing
    Anoka, MN

How much did those people get paid pretending to do thier jobs? Good lord that was ugly on both sides of the field (mostly the purple side).

jdbruesewitz
    Isle, MN

I don’t think I would have a job if I performed like that every week.

2Fishy4U

I suspect Bubba Franks is gone, my dog can catch better then he can.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I thought the highlight of the game was when the endzone fans trounced Smoot when he went up for a leap….That was awesome.

scottd
    wisconsin

A major blunder by Childress starting Tavarius Jackson.
    If Brad Johnson would have started-I’m thinking the Vikes
    probably would have won.

But Tavarius is the FUTURE-lol.
    (He’s no Michael Vick.)

P.S.People forget Brad won a super bowl and Bubba Franks has made a lot of key plays in Packers wins in the past.

sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

The past is the past, my friends. Jackson did fine. He wasn’t great, but he was fine. The plays that were made got called back on penalties. He had lots of drops, too. No, he wasn’t perfect, but he made some plays and throws that Brad simply couldn’t make. Brad was a good QB in this league – was. As in past tense.

Also, congratulations, you won a meaningless game and now you’ll draft 5 spots higher than us. You’re the big winners here! I was praying for your kicker to make that 44 yarder.

I would have preferred we played better and lost, but the draft is where we need to get better next year. Hopefully we’ll lose next week and find ourselves in the Calvin Johnson sweepstakes somehow.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

I thought the highlight of the game was when the endzone fans trounced Smoot when he went up for a leap….That was awesome.

Funny how the media trounced the vikes fan for doing the same thing to pretty boy Brady. However it was warranted by GB drunken slobs. I personally laughed, but it was a reminder how everything in Lumbeau is sacred. Stupid packers!!

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Ugly, but at least the Packers won–even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. Both teams did not play good, and that seems to be the most frustrating part. Favre’s interceptions were due to Jennings running wrong routes (Sharper did get a great X-mas gift!)and with all the dropped balls, the real score should have been 42 to nothing. I know you viking fans are bitter and depressed, but you sure do have a great defensive line–never seen a front that could stuff the run like that-too bad the viking 2ndary does not have the cohesiveness–but sharperr proved at Green Bay that he more concerned with dancing and broken plays than being a leader and sticking with a game plan. Favre still proved he is one of the best, just in the fact that he never gives up. We Packer fans are used to 3 interceptions a game cause the guy could still win it for you. As I remember, Babe Ruth also had a ton of strike outs and still was the home run champ.

Go Pack.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I would have rather wasted my time watching an ice cube melt…….Atleast THAT would have been more entertaining!

sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

Doc,

Not sure you quite understand the game or not. Favre didn’t prove he’s still one of the best by any means. He’s good, but not great anymore. The talent around him certainly doesn’t help, but he’s just not that great anymore. Good? Yes. Great or one of “the best”? Not even close.

Our DB’s aren’t necessarily the problem with our team and their cohesion isn’t a big issue. Nobody can cover receivers for 8 seconds. We have the most inept pass rush in the league. Our d-ends are brutal and offer no pressure. We need to bring LB’s blitzing to make any dent in an O-line, and that leads to hot receivers being open a LOT, especially if the blitz doesn’t get there … which happens fairly often.

It was a battle of who’s less good, not who’s better. Our DT’s are outstanding. Our LB’s are fine against the run, but aren’t good in open space or coverage. Our corners are pretty solid (Smoot is crap and he just got a gift last night), but Griffin and Winfield are very solid. Safeties are fine and aren’t a big concern. Sharper’s fine. But when you don’t have a pass rush, you’re going to get picked apart, plain and simple.

And I don’t think many Vikes fans are depressed. We understand we’re not very good and need quite a few pieces to get there. I’m glad we lost and hope we lose next week so we CAN get to the point of being rebuilt. The way to do that is through the draft and free agency. Going 8-8 doesn’t help your cause, it only mires you in mediocrity for years to come. Enjoy!

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

I’m not sure it matters where the Vikes pick. I’m sure they will just waste the pick on another WR that can’t catch.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

If that was Favre’s last performance on Lambeau’s ground than I’m glad it was a typical Favre day…He always has to have two or three incredibly stupid passes. Smoot is a terrible CB but even he could see what Favre was about to do. Sharper looked like a center fielder on that “up for grabs” pass he threw. Viking DB’s are truely going to miss his frequent mistakes.

As far as T JACK (as we viking fans are coming to call him) he is not the second coming of Christ. He is a rookie in his first NFL start on a cold rainy night in GB and has absolutly no wide recievers to throw to.

Given the choice of an old Favre (that STILL doesn’t know when not to throw the ball…) or a young quarterback that can throw the ball 70 yards…I’ll go with T Jack!!!RR

jld
    Holmen

I will never understand how anyone ever wants there to team to lose. No matter how bad they may be or what the record is you should always want your team to win. You are not a fan, just somebody looking to make excuses. Even though the Pack is more than likely not going to make the playoffs, if they can win their last four games they take all kinds of momentum into the off season. I would love to see the Packers in the playoffs. They would lose in the first round more than likely but so what; you are one of 12 teams that have the privilige of trying to win a championship, which is the goal of every team in July and August. Everybody loves to plie on Favre but at the end of the day he is a great competitor and that oftens gets him trouble but there is one thing I will always admire in him and that is he always wants to win, more matter the record or who he is playing. Losing sucks.

jerry_ruffolo
    Manitowoc, WI

“Given the choice of an old Favre (that STILL doesn’t know when not to throw the ball…) or a young quarterback that can throw the ball 70 yards…I’ll go with T Jack!!!”

And Vikings fans wonder why they’ve never won a Super Bowl????

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Quote:

Favre still proved he is one of the best, just in the fact that he never gives up.

He WAS one of the best, but regarding the never giving up comment… I remember a certain sack record that he just laid down for.

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

I don’t think brady was taunting the fans like smoot was, but that doesn’t justify it anymore. Ted

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

The draft is way over rated!!! The two probowl selections for the packers this year came from the 5th and, I think, the 7th rounds. Ted

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

The VIKINGS the GREATEST team to never win a superbowl. Just ask them when they have a winning record. I tell you what Favre made some good reads thurs night, something that not every QB in the nfl can make. Everone is so critical of Favre and his decisions to throw the ball, and I’ve seen Manning do the exact same thing. The difference between the two is Manning usually has the lead and doesn’t “have” to throw on every down. So when the defense has a 3 man front and 8 in passing lanes……yeah your gonna have to force the ball at times! There is not one team in the NFL that wouldn’t want him as their QB. Even as a has been he’s still one of the greatest to EVER play the position. It’s ok for you Viking fans to put Favre down….women do it to pretty women all the time…..yeah you guessed it because they are jealous! Merry X-mas all you Viking fans and I hope your “draft” goes well for you this year.

2Fishy4U

Thanks for a comment that is right on target. Brett Favre may not be the greatest QB ever to play in the NFL, but for the last decade and a half he has been the most influential. His willingness to express his emotions, and the guts he constantly displays when he blocks for the Pack backs and ends are beyond reproach.

And yes, the Vike fans are jealous, I can still remember when they were wearing Randy Moss shirts.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

I’d have to say one of Favres best games was the Monday Night game a day after his father passed away. He threw 4 touchdowns. I don’t think I could have even played that night. I give Kudos to him for that!!!

Ed

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.