Looking For Filet Knive!

• jhierlinger
    Lauderdale, MN

With Christmas around corner, I have hopes of recieving a good filet knive. I am looking for suggestions. Any of you use the electric knives? What knife would you suggest me getting, both electric and nonelectric.?
    TwinsEyes

Tyee
    Greater St Michael Area

I have the Rapala rechargable knife that I really like when cleaning lots of fish (and the tough to clean Perch).

For a filet knife I have and recommend a Leech Lake knife….spendy but sweet.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Leech Lake Knives. I’ve had one since the mid 90’s. By far the best filet knife I’ve seen or owned.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

I

Looks like you beat me to it.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I own 2 of the Mister Twister electric fillet knives and I love them.

Eyehunter

timmy

Quote:

Quote:

I

I have used one since the mid ninties as well. If I lost it – I would replace it without hesitation . Thousands of fillets can’t be wrong. It may be expensive, but if it lasts this many years(and how many more to come??? )…it is almost free……

Tim

mskyfshntchr
    Dodge Center, MN

I have the rapala electric. A buddy has the Mr. twister electric. Each has its advantages.
    Rapala comes with many accessories that make it easy to use while anywhere. Hook up to 110 or 12V. Very long cables so you don’t have to be real near a plug in or battery. Has the curved tip on the knifes, like a normal filet knife which makes it very easy to remove Y bones from pike. You get 2 sets of knifes with this one.
    The Mr. Twister is FAST and POWERFUL! Blows the rapala knife out of the water. 3-4 times faster when cleaning fish, not even close! The blades are square at the end, so more of a pain that way. As far as I know, this one just comes with a 110 plug in and not all the extra cords to hook up for 12V. Also, I believe only 1 set of blades.
    So, you would have to decide which model is more for you. Both work and do the job.

Fireball

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I

I have used one since the mid ninties as well. If I lost it – I would replace it without hesitation . Thousands of fillets can’t be wrong. It may be expensive, but if it lasts this many years(and how many more to come??? )…it is almost free……

Tim

I have had one for years. used it so much I had them make it into a panfish knife and purchased another, they are sweeeet

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

where does one buy of thse LL knives ?? or see them?

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

I love my Mr Twister eletric…I have not used a cordless yet that can compare to my eletric. But I clean almost all my fish on my cleaning table. So I always have a plug.

I will bet you Knife guys that if you use an eletric for a season your blade knife will grow cob webs.

There is a learning curve as with anything new.

But I fillet sunfish crappie whitebass.

White bass are made easy with an eletric.

Been converted for two years now. And my cleaning time is cut in half. Also my end product is bone free, and just as good as a blade cleaned fish.

The other great part it was at Wallmart for 19.95 on sale.

Hope this helps, and Mr Twister does not sponsor me.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

sliderfish
    LL knife,,are these blades flexable or stiff 7 1/2 blade??

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Unless it has changed LL knives can only be purchased from Reeds in Brainerd or Walker.

eyebuster
    Duluth

The one I have is pretty flexible and double sided for the blade, It comes in handy but you better remember it is there. Well worth the $$$

timmy

Quote:

I will bet you Knife guys that if you use an eletric for a season your blade knife will grow cob webs.

Nope. My electric sits idle! For trout/salmon/eyes (most of my cleaning) I keep up to the ‘lectric guys, and get a lot nicer looking fillets – in general. I will stick with the traditional way for now….

Tim

eyebuster
    Duluth

The only thing I will use my electric on are Northerns, I want to get them done in as little of time as possible!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I think the “Best” electric knife is still yet to be designed. I have an American Angler. I have used the Rapala and Mister Twister knives. All seem to get the job done. One thing I hate about the Rapala and American Angler is the blade ejection button is right where you naturally put your thumb to apply pressure and often eject the blades while filleting the fish. I like the blades of the Rapala and the power and speed of the Mister Twister. Put all three together and someone would have one heck of a knife!

The LL knifes are nice. But for the money, I just can’t see spending that much when my 15 yr old Rapala blade is holding up just fine. We are talking about filleting fish, not surgery!

-J.

shaley
    Milford IA

My Easly by far is the best I have ever used. had it 15 years before I sent it in to be resharpen. If anyones interested I’ll look around for their card. Lifetime warrenty against breaking or dulling.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

LL knife,,are these blades flexable or stiff 7 1/2 blade??

Flexible.
    If you ever make it to the Northwest sports show, they have a booth there. They also resharpen there also.

Ron

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

They are great knifes, been using mine for 6 years.

Ron

Slider you eat those stinky rotten Bass you catch???? I just use those 20-22″ers for Garden Fertilizer

No filet knife required.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Slider you eat those stinky rotten Bass you catch????

Nope.

I eat fish that are easy to catch walleye and crappies

Ron

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

My electric is an Anglers Best cordless. Kind of a cheapo I guess but it has worked brilliantly for me for three years now. The only thing I don”t care for on it is the handle is a little bulky.
    as far as the straight blade knife I have the plain old wood handle Rapala. This knife has worked just fine for me since I can remember.
    I will say though since I started using the electric I rarely use a regular knife anymore. as a matter of fact one day this fall I came home with a limit and my battery was dead on the electric and I had to clean the wallys with the knife. Well, lets just say I was very rusty. The fillets were not pretty. Buying the electric may have been my best fishing investment since I bought my first Shad Rap!!!

crank205
    la crosse wis

JUST WENT AND LOOKED AT MY LEECH LAKE FILLET KNIFE–1996 AND I THINK IT WAS 40 BUCKS THEN —-BEST KNIFE I’VE EVER USED. A FREIND OF MINE HAS 3 OF THEM AND THE SMALLER VERSION HE USES FOR CRAPPIES AND BLUEGILLS AND LOVES IT. YOU TRULY CANNOT GO WRONG WITH THIS KNIFE AS A NON-ELECTRIC. GREAT FISHIN !!!

timmy

Quote:

Quote:

Ron

Slider you eat those stinky rotten Bass you catch???? I just use those 20-22″ers for Garden Fertilizer

No filet knife required.

Lip – Spectacular. Nothin better than seeing a hornets nest and giving it a kick!!

Tim

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

my dad baught me a set of stanley filet knives for xmas one year. they came with 2 different size knifes and 1 for scaling. i really like the set, they keep a great edge and I also use them for cutting up deer. check them out!!

shane

troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ron

No filet knife required.

Lip – Spectacular. Nothin better than seeing a hornets nest and giving it a kick!!

Tim

I know if I am planting some trees I like to go catch a big stringer of bass to put in the bottom of the holes before the tree goes in. It helps “green it out”.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

With regards to electric knives, I’ve had a Mister Twister, Rapala cordless, and Anglers Best cordless. Without hesitation, I think the Anglers Best cordless is the best knife I’ve had. The Rapala cordless was the worst, and I went through two of them in a matter of a month. Gander was great and offered to give me my money back, but I said I’d try th AB. The batteries last much longer than the Rapala’s did and they are small. I don’t like the fact that the charger doesn’t shut off after the batteries are charged though.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Interestingly my solution isnt even covered here and its the one most of my friends use. We just use Rapala or recently Gerber Fillet knives. The cheap ones. They are very flexible and sharpen very easily. I suppose if I caught lots of perch I might go electric but I’m set in my ways and will likely always use a blade. Can you even use an electric on a 6-7 inch bluegill??

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Yes Sir,
    I clean all my fish with my electric.
    It just takes practice.
    The thing I really like about the electric, my time cleaning is cut in half.
    It just takes practice.

sundogg44
    Eden Prairie/Mille Lacs

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I

Tim

I have had one for years. used it so much I had them make it into a panfish knife and purchased another, they are sweeeet

Best.
    Knives.
    Ever!!!

I have one walleye and one panfish knife. Outstanding, outstanding, outstanding! I go through a whole year – summer and winter – sharpening once a year at the show! These things are incredible!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.