BUCKY RUNS OVER GOPHERS!

• krisko
    Durand, WI

Badgers make the old Gophers team look like a high school football players today. They kicked butt 48-12. Just wanted to rub it in a little.

rmartin
    United States

Sweet game, the axe is still home

eyebuster
    Duluth

I have been a Gopher fan all my life and even I can tell you the football team sucks! Mason has got to go

jldii

I really don’t think Mason is the problem, but I do think his D co-ordinator is!! David Lockwood has not done the job since he’s been here.

2Fishy4U

Thank God for the Badgers. There isn’t much to brag about when it comes to the Brewers, Bucks and Pack.

krisko
    Durand, WI

Quote:

Thank God for the Badgers. There isn’t much to brag about when it comes to the Brewers, Bucks and Pack.

No KIDDING, at least our colleges do good and turn out players….

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

There isn’t much to brag about when it comes to the Brewers, Bucks and Pack.

Heck, a bad day of fishing is better than watching these guys this season.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

attend a game at Camp Randall and attend a Gopher game at the dreary Metrodome. imagine you are a blue-chipper coming out of high school and given a chance get a full ride at Madison or Minneapolis. where would you go? Goph’s will get better recruiting once their new open air stadium goes up. question: why are they only building a 45 to 47k stadium when most schools in the Big 10 seat 70k or better?

smsmith
    Wisconsin

You hit it on the head SteveO, Minnesota can’t compete for top flight recruits until they get their own stadium on campus. Not that I really care though, gotta love the Badgers. Heck, it’s taken Wisconsin a long time to be able to compete with OSU and Michigan for the best recruits, and they still are ways off from doing it well.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

question: why are they only building a 45 to 47k stadium when most schools in the Big 10 seat 70k or better?

MN has a pretty bad fan base. I think it is wishful thinking that they could fill a 45k stadium, let alone a 70 k seat one.

martin_vrieze
    Eagan

Why not begin with a name change…How tough is a cute, cuddley gopher anyhow? They typically get run over by cars on the highway.

If I were a recruit, would I want to be a cute cudley gopher? Or a vicious badger, wolverine, buckeye?

rmartin
    United States

I disagree with the new stadium arguement. Sure, you may see more of an influx of new talent due to playing in a in a new stadium, but if a winning team is not produced then attendence and recruiting will drop off. Most other schools have open air stadiums, but the ones that get the consistent talent at all positions are the ones that are proven winners year after year. Wisconsin was in the same boat as Minn until Barry Alveraz came along and turned the program around. There is now more money for football and other sports along with scholarships. There was also money for improvements to a stadium that is much older than the metrodome. It starts with the coaching, put a quality product on the field and the people will come and everything else mushrooms. A new stadium is not the magic cure all.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

It is not the magic cure all, but it sure helps

eyebuster
    Duluth

The Gopher football program will always take a back seat to the HOCKEY team!

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

question: why are they only building a 45 to 47k stadium when most schools in the Big 10 seat 70k or better?

To keep Iowa and Wisconsin Fans out. If someone does turn the program around they will be crying to build a bigger stadium. Wisconsin is a perfect example. More people watched to band after the game then actually watched the game. Now all games a sold out.

——————————————————————————–

rmartin
    United States

I am sure the event promoters would be more than happy to sell the unsold tickets to Wis and Iowa fans.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

The above posters are right. We would never EVER fill a 70k seat stadium. We have 4 pro sports and several other minor league teams. There is just not enough people to fill all of these seats. The fall is a bad time too. You have the Twins(postseason), Vikings, Timberwolves, and Wild. And you want to fill a sttadium on a Saturday afternoon. I don’t think so. The new stadium will help, but filling it with 70k would have never happened. And Krisko, not to much bragging to do there. I think the Gophers will struggle to beat NDSU this weekend and they have only been in D1 for about 2 years now. They just lost to much talent to fast. Sure, kick us when we are down. Bring on hockey! The Gophers are looking for revenge this year.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

There will be a bunch of Miamie players available after this season.

I don’t mind losing but why pay Mason? He doesn’t win. He doesn’t promote the program. He doesn’t accept blame.

He just waits for the next job.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

those are good points. i do think an outdoor stadium will draw better players.(at least keeping good Minny kids home. Stocco is the perfect example) Better players mean more wins which will translate into better attendance. Why would you want to keep folks from Wi and Iowas out? People attending games puts big $$$ in the local economy does it not?
    I don’t think Mason is a horrible coach. He just doesn’t have the horses to get it done right now.

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Quote:

WRESTLING team!!!!!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Quote:

WRESTLING team!!!!!

Intermuriel basket weaving.

2Fishy4U

I am a Badger Fan but tend to think if the Gophers had a good college football program they would fill a stadium well over 47,000 in size. The Mpls. SMSA is much larger then most other Big Ten Teams and the competition isn’t as great from other sports as some might think (the Twins season is over). Also strong college football teams just pack them in. If the Gophers were competitive, the Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois fans would show, and I suspect more then a few from Michigan.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I was out for a few days and missed this one. I went to UW in the 80s and you could pick up tickets on the ground before the kickoff. If Minnesota was to have a great coach they could fill a good sized stadium. I still remember when Alvarez was hired here and the first thing he said was get your season tickets now. He brought us a winning attitude and proved to the country not to underestimate the Badgers. The attitude rubbed off on hoops and also hockey.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.