Problem with my locator, Any advice?

• hardhitter_26
    Annandale, Mn

I just purchased a used Lowrance X-51 locator, set it up on the boat and tried it out yesterday. Got out on the lake and it did show me the water temp. but it wouldn’t show me the depth, it just flashed 0.0 ft. So I turned around after fishing for awhile and on the way back in the depth jumped to 14.4 ft. and stayed that way til I got to shore and loaded the boat up. I was wondering if it might be a bad transducer or maybe the head might be bad on this?

Has anyone ever had this problem with their locators doing this? If so what might be wrong with it?

Thanks, Troy

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Sounds like one of two things… A poorly positioned transducer that isn’t aimed straight down at the bottom OR a completely shot trasnducer. Is the face of the transducer all chipped up?

hardhitter_26
    Annandale, Mn

James transducer looks like new(no chips or any damage I can see) and it is facing straight down. Guess my next thing to do is try another transducer and see if that fixes the problem.

Thank you for the help!!
    Troy

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Or you can come over two doors to my house and hook it up to my system and see if we get a reading at the head… That is if your units hook up is the same as mine..

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Or you can come over two doors to my house and hook it up to my system and see if we get a reading at the head… That is if your units hook up is the same as mine..

If you can walk two doors down and eliminate one possible source of the problem you’ve got a major leg up. We’ll keep our fingers crossed that, if anything is wrong, its with the transducer.

hardhitter_26
    Annandale, Mn

Well just took the locator and used another transducer and power supply and still have the same problem, so I am guessing it is the the head unit that is shot. Well thanks for the help.!!
    Troy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.