Chevy Silverado versus Frod F-150

• 2Fishy4U

My current Ford PU has 181,000 miles on it and is a 4.0L V6 Ranger. After a trip to Rainy Lake from Wisonsin last week it became fairly clear I need a new truck, after the Ranger over-heated several times.

For reasons, mostly involving the quality and service provided by dealerships in the Milwaukee area, I have narrowed my choice down to a Chevy Silverade 4WD drive or a Ford 150-F 4WD. Both would be V8’s, 2 door, normal bed, extended cabs.

The reviews I have read are mixed. Some rate the F-150 highly, other the Silverado V8’s, but not the V6.

The trucks would be 2006, the rebates, etc. including 0 percent financing are good.

If anyone has any knowledge, opinions or owns one of these trucks your comments would be appreciated.

Both dealerships are good. The Chevy dealership my son works at, albeit there is no special discount. The Forsd folks I have dealt with for at least 20 years.

shaley
    Milford IA

Personaly speaking I would go with the Chevy. I have ran Chevy trucks all my life and have had few problems with any. Currently have a 99 GMC Jimmy and a 05 Chevy Trailblazer other than normal maitenance have had no problems. Both pull my Alumacraft 175 Trophy with no problem.

Just my Personal preference.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I was a Ford fan most of my life and I still do like them. I had a Ford F-150 with a V-6 but I traded it in on a Chevy Silverado with the V-8. If I have one piece of advice on the full size Ford’s with the V-6, they have too little power and use too much gas. Definitely avoid them if you plan to tow a boat or camper. I am not knocking the quality or the looks, just the power and mileage.

I hate to admit it, but I really like the ride, mileage, looks, and reliabilty of my 2003 Chevy Silverado. Plenty of power and good fuel mileage for a V-8. The only thing I wish I would have went with is 4 wheel drive

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

My son in law drives a new Ford F150 with the big Triton V8 (5.4l I think). He loves the truck for everything EXCEPT the fuel economy…he barely cracks into the 13’s on the road. I have experience with the 5.3 Chevy and am very impressed with the power, and fuel economy on the highway. I have the 5.3 in a 2002 Tahoe and regularily get 18+ on the road (nothing in tow). It pulls my 3000# Lund package with relative ease in all conditions.

magooevans
    Bedford Pa

I drive a 2004 Silverado with the 5.3l. I love the power and ride. I have got up to 17.5 mpg highway and as little as 13 mpg with a hevy load. It is a 4×4 full size bed with the tow package. Hevy springs and 373 rear. With the hevy springs I still get a nice ride. I have driven the F150 with the 5.4l and can say the Chevy has more go hands down. This is the 1st Chevy I bought ( SAD to say my Dad worked for GM for 30 some years and still drove a Ford ) I was a 100% FORD Man!!! As for the Chevy

cannon

Why are you even thinking about it? Support your son and buy a vehicle were he works. He may get some brownie points at the very least. Plus the chevy gets better mileage. Get the 5.3 – it has plenty of power and is easy on gas (comparatively speaking). I have 167,000 trouble free miles on mine. They are both good vehicles.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Both are good vehicles. If you go the Chevrolet route, get the 5.3, pick the rear end that suits your towing needs. Keep in mind the Z71 package is shocks and skid plates and will ride rougher. If you are towing and the transmission is hunting a lot, drop it to 3rd. The 4L60E transmission is ok but if you bump up to the 3/4 ton you can get a 4L80E or Allison transmission, they are much better. The 6.0 has fair power but is terrible on gas. Not sure on fuel capacity on the Ford, but keep in mind GM shortboxes have 26 gallons and 8 footers have 34 gallons.

I have a ’02 Chevy crew with an 8′ box 8.1 gasser and an Allison transmission. I get 16 mpg on the highway.

mb757
    Dodgeville, WI

We sell both GM and Ford at the dealership that I work at. The Ford 150 has a little better fit and finish than the GM but doesn’t seem to get the mpg that the Gm does. If you flip a coin you would get a good truck either way. I work at the Ford store so I’m not sure but I thought that you should get a discount through your son as a family member through GM, I know we do on the Ford side. But rules change and I haven’t kept up on the GM deals. As stated before you should support your son and it does meen something to the Dealer Priciple when a family member buys from the dealership.

big_g
    Isle, MN

WHAT ?!!! No special employee pricing for immediate family ? Sounds dumb on Chevy’s part. I know the Chrysler employee pricing includes immediate family, including Bro & Sis in laws ???? I have no opinion on Chevy or Ford…. only Dodge !!!!

big g

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Wait for the new Toyota Tundra next year.

2Fishy4U

Briefly, Ford gives a discount of about $2,500 plus invoice, plus either $1,000 in free gas and an additional $1,100.

GM, as they just told me gives a rebate of $4,500 if you do not take the zero percent financing and I have about $1,800 on my GM Card. Plus I am getting a bit more for my trade-in, $18,000 for Ford versus $19,500 (Nissan 350Z)from GM.

Both dealerships are good and neither try to sell you all that extra stuff you don’t really need, but on balance I went with the Silverado.

The one thing that bothered me about the Ford was the extra high bed. Many of you probably prefer that, but it reminded me of the tracks I drove in the military.

Lastly, I appreciate all your constructive comments.

2Fishy4U

Big G,

what I am told by my kid who works for GM is the no percent financing and rebates are actually less then he could use the employee discounts for to buy a car. It is a bit of a joke in the dealership he works for.

As for the Toyota Tundra when the kid went to MATC (Milwaukee Area Techincal College) for certification one of the GM VP’s at graduation asked him why he choose GM. He answer was simple, I like Toyota, but GM products require more repairs. This womam VP from GM literally turned red in the face. As for me the GM dealship and the Ford folks are so much better.

The kid actually drives a Toyota 4 Runner to work at Newman Chevy.

Another plus is this Chevy dealership gives you loaners, has actually repaired cars for free beyond the warrantly period, and GM is catching up big time on quality. Note the amount of Toyota recalls this year, and the reasons for those recalls versus GM and Ford products.

Honda is in the same boat.

shadrap23
    Ramsey, MN

My 2003 Silverado is great. Super gas mileage with the 5.3L, smooth ride, quite cabin, and great power for pulling the boat. The only thing that I don’t like about my Chevy is the ground clearance. The Ford tends to have better ground clearance, which is helpful during the hunting season.

Either way, you’re getting a good quality vehicle that will perform up to your expectations.

Good Luck with the purchase.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

The Toyota thing was a joke, but I do think they are a more reliable vehicle. We have had two and they were rock solid.

I am a Ford owner right now (Expidition), and had an F-150, Explorer , and Ranger and S-10 before that. I am with you on the high bed of the Ford, IMO it sucks. Looks bad, and I don’t like it for reaching over into the bed (I’m only 5’11” so that may be part of it). I like the fornt end on the F-150, but don’t really like the drop windows look, of the GIANT Ford emblem smack in the center of the tailgate. My hunting buddy has an 05 he bought new. They seem to ride really nice. The one big negative on his is the seats SUCK. He told me they were uncomfortable, and I didn’t believe him until I rode on them. My Expy seats are much nicer. Make sure you take it for a long ride and check the seats.

I’m not a fan of the current Chevy styling, and I think their interiors are the worst in the business. My father in law is a die hard Chevy truck guy, and his trucks had many more issues than my Fords did.

Honestly if I were getting a new truck it would probably be a Dodge. Sorry. But I am sure either of the trucks will treat you well, they have both been out a few years now and teh bugs should be all worked out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.