Shequamegon bay

• TRZ
    St.paul

Anybody fish up there in the winter and have much luck? was up there 3 times last year but only got fish once.

Anonymous

I ha Chris Beeksma on my tv show and asked him the same thing. He says they had the best ice/trout fishing that they have had in 10 years, there last year.

I’ll see Chris soon and try to find out specifics or you can contact him at Get Bit Guide Service on his ad banner on his reports on our main page reports lists. Hawger

Anonymous

TRZ, Chequamegon bay ice fishing has really changed the past ten years. It used to be phenomenol fishing at first ice for browns and splake but I dont believe either one of them exist in the numbers they used to. It is still good at first ice but not as it used to be. The Ashland side has very good walleye fishing at first ice and it is always fun anytime in the winter to fish out by the lighthouse as you never know what you may catch. The Washburn side of the bay is best for trout and early ice in the deeper channel is excellent for lakers. Your best bet for ice fishing is to fish for the Lake trout. Fishing is the best it has been for many years. As the winter progresses and ice forms out in the Apostle Islands the fishing stays very good throughout the winter. Always call ahead for ice conditions to local bait shops. Outdoor Allure is a good bet. The new lure to the bay in the winter is whitefish and herring. They are found in large groups suspended 5 to 20 ft down and many people are targeting them. Good luck and feel free to contact me anytime.

Chris Beeksma

TRZ
    St.paul

thanks alot for the info, last year i fished the ore dock on the Ashland side, got 3 fish the one time all trout and was skunked the next 2 and belive me it’s a long way from St.paul to get no fish! exactly were on the washburn side is good, any specifics on depth or location would be great!

Anonymous

The best place on the Washburn side is in the channel from 25 to 45 ft of water. The farther east you go the deeper the channel becomes. Houghton point is always a great spot also.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.