Boat question

• bigweav
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I just had hydraulic steering put on a 19’4″ Charger bass boat with a 200hp VMAX Yamaha with a Ballistic 14 1/2 x 26XL prop, and so for the steering not to hit the splash well they had to put on a 6″ jack plate. The question I’m throwing out to all the pro’s out there is I have it adjusted all the way down and I’m running about 500 rpm’s to high and was wondering if any body had any solutions. Thanks

birddog
    Mn.

Try a more aggressive prop. 28-30?? Maybe a special order racing prop? Also, the blades on a Ballistic are pretty thin, giving more rpm’s.

BIRDDOG

91482v

There’s several aspects to consider. Moving the motor back should raise the RPM’s. Measure the center of the bullet referencing teh pad. You should more than likely be in the 4-5″ range. The motor will be below the plane of the pad. Only super performance boats run above pad (Bullets, Strokers, Allisons and Gamblers to name a few).How is the holesjot now that you have a plate on it? Also, what’s your water pressure at 5000RPM’s (should hold around 15-20psi while running straight. A 26″ on a 200 should be right about where you want to be. In my humble opinion, running more pitch will more than likely kill your holeshot and be just a bit too much for that motor, overall. Could be a 28 is about right too but going up to that is quite a jump. Get the centerline of the propshaft to pad and let’s start there. If you don’t happen to have a water pressure gauge, get one too.

bigweav
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

At 5000 rpm’s it is running between 22-25 psi and the hole shot is real good. I’ll have to get those measurements tonight. I also have a 4 blade prop that I could try, but it is in the shed at my cabin north of Prairie DuChein and I can’t remember what size it is.

bigweav
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve heard that you can run Mercury props on a Yamaha, doe’s anybody know this for a fact? A buddy of mine has a couple that he ran on a Optimax that he thinks will cut the rpm’s on mine. Thanks for any info

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

It was true for the 4 strokes as they were made by Yamaha. Don’t know about the Opti’s.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.