Power Pro Fishing Line

• Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

Has anybody used this line?? Power Pro Fishing Line begins with ultra-strong braided Spectra® Fiber, is this a super braid? What did you think, strong, sensitive, easy to tie? How does it spool onto your reel. I’ve tried other super braids and don’t care for the way that they have bunched up, if you know what I mean. Have you ever set the line hard into a log and have a super braid dig down it to the spool and the only way to get it out is to cut half of your spool off? What is the best application for this line, jigging, dragging, casting jigs?? What other line have you tried that you like? I love the sensitivity of the super braids but I hate the way they spool on to my reels and digs into the spool some times drives me nuts.
    Any feed back any of you guys can provide would be great.

Whatsa

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Only super line I use, no problems at all for me, I love the stuff

Power pro “round” unlike fireline the is kind of flat.

pyake

Never had Power Pro on any of my reels but can relate to your observations on super braids. The first super braid that I used was Spider Wire when it first came out. Had many of the issues that you described. For a long time I stuck with mono. Recently tried Spider Wire Stealth and have to say that it has come a long way in the past 5 years. The teflon coating makes a big difference and tends to make the line handle more like a mono.

shayla

Some may disagree, but I can’t say enough good things about PowerPro! Compared to fireline, I find it easier to tie, less slippery and holds knots better, doesn’t fray, won’t cut into itself on the spool, doesn’t wear grooves in the eyelets or bail-roller, and I have NEVER used a line of any kind before that prevents me from getting breakoffs on fish like PowerPro. I’ll admit I’m lazy, I don’t change the line as much as most guys and I still have never had a fish break me off…I use the 20/6 class in bright yellow and I love it. If I could say one thing bad about it, if you get the smoke colored PowerPro there tends to be a waxy coating that leaves dust in your eyelets and reel, but it quickly goes away and hasn’t caused me any problems other than it’s visually unappealing. Try it, you will love it!

UMDWalleyeGuy
    Duluth,MN

I can also only say good things about power pro. I have used it for two years now while musky fishing and fishing salmon on the great lakes. Its really not much different to me than other super braids but I have never encounter really any malfunction with the line itself(only operator error!!). I don’t know if you do any fishing on the great lakes for salmon using dipsy divers but I cannot stress enough how much it has saved me in terms of problems. Power pro has no strech making it perfect for this use. I don’t know if this helps. Good luck on the water.

shane2694
    LaCrosse,WI

I have never had any problems with Power Pro Line. I use them on baitcasters and spinning reels. I have also had good luck with Spiderwire Stealth. Fireline alway wants to fray after a couple of weeks.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

I have never had any problems with Power Pro Line. I use them on baitcasters and spinning reels. I have also had good luck with Spiderwire Stealth. Fireline alway wants to fray after a couple of weeks.

I agree with slydog’s observation on Fireline. It worked fine but it did seem to fray quite easily. I’ve never used the more recent version of it.

I use Power Pro and find that it casts very well on my baitcasters and gives me plenty of sensitivity on my jigging/spinning rigs.

I also use PP on my long-lining trolling rigs, but would like to switch those over to the SpiderWire Stealth 15/4 line to get a smaller diameter.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

I use it and like it. When you spool it on, spool about half the reel with a mono then tie a uni-uni knot to splice them together. Also, when you put it on make sure you put plenty of pressure on it so it goes on tight, that will help some of the digging in, although as mentioned it is round and doesnt do that as bad as the older super braids. I have broken pp up to 50 lb, but usually user error and laziness, I think it frays a little more on rock than you would imagine, but for wood and weeds it is great stuff.

crank205
    la crosse wis

Power -Pro-I haven’t found a better overall line yet. I got this when they where still factory rep’s only –been using it since its beginning–ties easy you can’t break it doesnt wear eyes out like other lines many line classes and its ice line is awesome for walleyes — Ive turned all my freinds on to it over the yrs and nary a complaint from them. also, after a year on your spool -just rewind it on to another spool–it works– good fishin

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

Does this line have a little stretch? I thought I read somewhere that Power Pro has a little stretch and I thinking that would be nice to have a little stretch but the sensitivity of the super braids. I’ve used super braids mostly on my jigging rods. When I used them on my trolling rigs I honestly thought I lost more fish because of the low/no stretch. I even bought some med/light action rods and kept my drag very loose and it still seemed like I lost more fish than with mono. I liked knowing when I was really pounding bottom but loosing the fish made me go back to mono. Thanks For the info guys keep chiming in with you comments please, I like reading what experience other have had with products.
    Whatsa

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Does this line have a little stretch?

I don’t think it stretches at all. If it does, it is very minimal.

Because of the lack of stretch, I use medium-light action fiberglass rods for my trolling rigs. I don’t think I’ve lost any more fish than I did with mono, but I fight them differently. I don’t pump and crank like I used to, instead I just reel them in at a steady pace.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

use it and like it. When you spool it on, spool about half the reel with a mono then tie a uni-uni knot to splice them together.

Also, if you don’t prefer to do this, try putting a piece of electrical tape around the spool…the braid will stick to it and you can spool the line w/o slippage.

PowerPro is on 90% of all my rods

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

I’ve always just reeled them in, maybe it was in my head it just seemed I lost more with the super braids
    Whatsa

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I use it and like it. When you spool it on, spool about half the reel with a mono then tie a uni-uni knot to splice them together. Also, when you put it on make sure you put plenty of pressure on it so it goes on tight, that will help some of the digging in, although as mentioned it is round and doesnt do that as bad as the older super braids. I have broken pp up to 50 lb, but usually user error and laziness, I think it frays a little more on rock than you would imagine, but for wood and weeds it is great stuff.

I use PP 80 lbs on all my flathead rods.

I use cheap 20 lbs mono for a quarter of the spool following bassbaron’s directions above.
    One thing to remember with PP is that if there’s a snag..it can’t be walked backwards until the line breaks. Major problems here. Use a dowel plyers handle or something similar to break of the line.

With stretch…I’ve heard that some eye guys attach a shock leader of mono on the end of the Power Pro.

Personally, for my kind of fishing, I’m sold on the stuff. I have hear good reports of Tuff line from some respected eye guides. I’ve never used it…it is a little less expensive.

deeplake
    Iron, mn

power pro is amazing.. im not into the braided lines really either but power pro is definately the best casting toughest line ive used. as for stretch there is none.. you move your rod tip 6 inches and that fish is moving 6 inches.. be careful or youll pull the lips right out.. hahaha power pro seems to casts even better after you get it wet so dont be discouraged while casting new power pro in you back yard!

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

The only thing I spool on all my reels is Power Pro, been hooked on it for years. Never noticed any stretch and never had the line break with a fish on – stuff is hard to break – moves a anchored boat before breaking. I use the elec. tape idea as well plus a couple feet of mono.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve been using it for a few years and like it. My only compaint is that it’s seems more brittle than fireline and more likely to snap when stessed abrubptly like long casting a heavy lure. Not a big deal but something that has stood out to me.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Switched from fireline to power pro about 5 years ago and absolutely love the stuff. My only complaint is on the lighter line like the 1lb diameter, you get some nasty knots if you ever get a loop in your line. Once you get a knot with that thin diameter, you aren’t getting it out. Other than that, no complaints. I like the hi-vis yellow.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.