The Tiger Tube

• Bob Bowman
    MN

Something for any new Muskie angler to try is the Tiger Tube by Lindy. I was up at the new Cabela’s in Rogers, Mn a few weeks back and they had the Tiger Tubes on sale for $5.99, and this is one heck of a deal for anyone out there looking to broden there tackle supply, normally they run any where from $9.99-$13.99. The Tiger Tube comes in 2 sizes, a 6″ and 8″tube. The 8″ tube is the one that I would suggest for Muskies. The 8″ tube has a 3/4 oz. jighead with a 6/0 hook in the body of the tube, with a 3/0 treble trailer hidden in the flexible tail of the bait. (I should note that most of the hook-ups that I have had with Muskies have come on the single 6/0 hook.) The hook-up percentage with this bait is unreal.
    Muskies are the freshwater meat eaters, no fish is safe, but even with this truth, the Muskies have major preferences when it comes to dinner. Muskies prefer soft stuff that they can hold on to, tear apart with ease, and digest quickly. This may surprise some, that the top of the list for a Muskie when it comes to dinner, in most lakes is the Bullhead, thats right I said the Bullhead. Think about it for a moment, a bullhead is a slow moving fish with very soft skin and meat, and Muskies love them. There are some other fish that hit the top of the list as well. Suckers, whitefish, ciscoes, smelt, are all sought after but the mighty Lunge. Why…well they all have one thing in common, they chew up with easy. I am not saying that Muskies won’t eat other fish, but these few would be at the top of the list.
    Now back to the topic at hand, The Tiger Tube. Think about the majority of baits that all of us “Muskie Junkies” flog. Hard bait, blade baits, and crankbiats. Sure all of these put active fish in the boat when conditions are right. It does not matter with aggressive fish when they hit a metal or wood bait, because by the time they hit the bait, it’s too late, with a little luck, the hooks sunk and you are yelling “Fish On”. The Tiger Tube is a soft bait that Muskies seem to hold on to longer, and most important, they hit it in the first place. Soft plastics bait feel more realistic, and act in a very genuine manner. This is why inactive fish have a tendancy to strike plastics, they have action that a hard bait just can’t duplicate. Lets say you are fishing a cold front where the barometer is not in your favor, and the fish are not active, and your baits are not producing the way that they should. This is a great time to give the Tiger Tube a shot. The soft plastic bait holds in the strike zone longer, making inactive fish, curious. The Tiger Tube has a great rise and fall motion, which can not be duplicated by any other bait in your box. The long rubber tail on the bait creates bubbles when in the rise or fall, and I am 100% sure that this draws fish. Lots of fish that have come to the boat for me on Tiger Tubes seem to hit the bait on splash down, or on the up-side when working the bait. This bait is prime for deep weed edges, where Muskies lay up on that deep edge of the cabbage or coontail. The rise and fall action allows for a cast to be made, with a count down, allowing the bait to get down to where those big gals are lounging. The bait can also be worked shallow, in a similar fashion to a jerkbait. You just keep the bait high in the water. It is a very versitle bait, that will put fish in your boat if you can take the heat from your friends for using it. Lots of people scoff at it, but they soon will change their tune when you are the one telling them to get the net….Netboy!!!! The other thing that the Tiger Tube works great for is the fish that you have follow to the boat a number of times, and it just won’t eat. Throw back baits are always a must when you are out Muskie fishing, and the tube is the best that I have seen so far. The Tiger Tube comes in 7 different colors, so you should match the bait to the most sought after baitfish in the lake that you are fishing. The salt and pepper works great for lakes where Whitfish and ciscos are present. The smoke and black and red neon work great in the metro where the lakes have a good population of Bullheads, also another favorite on the river. The sunfish and chart/sparkle work great where you have a lake with a good sunfish or perch population. In my boat the chart/sparkle has been renamed the “Bloody Frog, and it has been a great bait around the metro, Forest Lake for example. The copper shad is another bait that works good in a river system, my go to on the upper Miss. These baits worked with a 7ft rod, with a soft tip, but good backbone is the way to go. I like the Shimano Compre and the G. Loomis, both rods seem to have a lot of “touch”. This is important because sometimes the hit is very soft and you want a sensitive rod to feel it. Other times they railroad the bait and almost take the rod out of your hands. So go out and pick up some tubes and give it a try, I am sure that you won’t be disappointed, I know that I sure have not been. Happy Hunting and bring on the open water For someone that eats, sleeps, and lives to boat Muskies, this down time in the year kills me. Those Muskie shows this time of year make it even harder for us all to wait the upcomming season. Good luck, and I hope this info helps you put a few more negative fish in the boat this year.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Here is a nice 47″ lunge that fell to a Tiger Tube on a very deep weed edge, with very thick cabbage. This fish was laying up on the deep side of the weeds. Notice the high sky in the background. This was a day that we had to work very hard to put fish up, but the Tiger Tube made for a 3 fish day, while the other group that we were fishing with saw “ZERO” fish all day long. Trust me that Tiger Tubes will put inactive fish in the boat for you.

Bob Bowman
    MN

I can’t wait to get you out this summer and see what we can do. Dan is going down to Iowa in late April to hit some Lunge. I however will be at home with the mama. A little to close to mama’s due date for me to make that trip, a 5 hour trip is a little too far away for me to go at that point, I don’t what to miss the little one being born, I would never live that one down. …In the words of Briank…”My favorite wife would kill me” by the way…can you come help me hang celing fans too

deeplake
    Iron, mn

wow, nice post bob! i have had much action on smaller tube jigs for bass but the bigger tubes will be a great new weapon in my tackle box this year for skiis.. still planning on hitting vermillion pretty hard this year.. hope your still planning on comeing up in mid aug!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Good read Bob!!!

You have been hammering skis for some time now with the Tube. I got to spend more time this year using it!

Bob Bowman
    MN

Here are a few more musts when it comes to plastics. The J-Mac jig teamed up with Action Plastics has been another bait that works great too. Dan has been working these a lot more then I have, but he has also boated a number of fish on them. He snapped a nice fish on opener last year on this set up when nothing else was working. We were not seeing fish and within a matter or 15 minutes he busted this one.

Bob Bowman
    MN

That is a good point Mack. I think that some of Dan’s outside the box ideas that we use for Muskies come from his bass fishing background, and I have to give Dan credit for his ideas, because they do indeed put fish in the boat. When he starts throwing the Jig n Pig it’s over, but I am sure when he does the SOB will still catch fish on it.

Bob Bowman
    MN

I’m sorry to hear that Bob. That is absolutely terrible news

…Play nice

Bob Bowman
    MN

One last must have in my boat is the Bulldawg. This is a great deep water bait that can be used in a number of different places. It is a search and destroy bait. To a muskie it looks like a monster tadpole, and they love them. You can fish them fast as a search bait, or you can slow them down and work an area. This is killing me, I want open water bad. Boat, baits, and rods are ready to go….way to early because this is going to be a long time to wait.

agentesox
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

Quote:

I think that some of Dan’s outside the box ideas that we use for Muskies come from his bass fishing background, and I have to give Dan credit for his ideas, because they do indeed put fish in the boat.

Tony Portincaso, Larry Latino, Steve Worrall, Spence Petros

At least give credit where it is really due!

deeplake
    Iron, mn

dan (personally) and his information, was not mostly learned from fishing shows.. he learned from experience and time spent on the water, he has put me on more fish than every fishing show on.. i also have a good video of dan impersonating some of these shows, its hilarious… i give him all the credit these pros have..experience lands fish, not watching fishing shows from your couch!

deeplake
    Iron, mn

silly packers fans…

agentesox
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

All I’m saying is that the names I listed are the guys who originated those techniques 20-30 years ago that Bob is giving credit to his friend for.

Sorry pal, I share a boat with some of thosee guys not watch them on TV.

deeplake
    Iron, mn

again.. silly packers fans!

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Perhaps Bobby has given a little too much credit, all those guys are and have been true pioneers in the sport. The one thing I can say is it is one thing to know about a technique or bait, but it is entirely different to actually use it. I spend a fair amount of time on the water, not as much as I would like, but time none the less. If I had a quarter for every “Muskie Guy” that I saw hucking wood or throwing a spinnerbait… well I could quit my day job. I believe some of the out of the box thinking that I do works because I am patient enough to stick with it. The metro is getting tough, hell, tougher every year. More and more guys are hanging up the flipping sticks to chase the most exciting freshwater species in the state. If as an angler you are not able to adapt, change your methodology, and most of all be creative your success will suffer. I didn’t get to be a good hook by not looking for new things that work. Trial and error, per say. Esox, as a guy who has fished with such great talent I look forward to hearing your insights, seeing your pics, and most of all learning things from you. That’s why we’re all here, Bobby and Kevin are two guys that I have had some great trips with, I learn from them, they learn from me. Someday I hope to say that I have 10% of fishing for muskies, or any other species, figured out. Until then, nothing to do but keep plugging away at it.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

By the way Bobby, nice writing, now I know what you actually do at work.

deeplake
    Iron, mn

Bob works at work?? keep up the great posts. Hey Dan, will i see you at the rainy river?

Bob Bowman
    MN

Jason, I was not saying that Dan was the one that came up with these ideas, its just that he spends a lot of time trying different things that most muskies anglers would never think of giving 1 cast. I was not steeling any ideas from others, or saying that Dan did either, or trying to take credit for those ideas. I was just making a point that Dan does go outside the box more so then most, that was what I was trying to say. And for Dan taking the time to do so, it pays off for him. My point was take the time to try things that others are not doing everyday, and you will be rewarded. I was giving Dan credit for his time that he spends just trying different things, not that he came up with the ideas all on his own, I am sorry if that came across wrong, that was not me intent.

deeplake
    Iron, mn

well, a gent e sux, im just stirring the pot a little, and no hard feelings, but i like reading bobs posts, they are informative, and written well enough for even me to understand (pictures and instructions on how to use lures) and also proven techniques i have witnessed firsthand, also landed and released a few trophies (for me at least) like the 22″ smallie in Dans boat on miss, or the 26″ (not comparable to bobs 32″ ) whale eye on mille lacs that day, (40 whale eyes in just a few hours might i add) or the day on forest when we landed another fellas ski who was crappie fishing (and released) the list goes on.. post on bob, fish on dan,

deeplake
    Iron, mn

where’d you go jason???

deeplake
    Iron, mn

again, nice post BOB and what a great weapon.. especially for the early or slow presentation… this is a bait that will produce fish all year… skiis in the summer, bass early spring/opener bite , vs. the spinner or topwater..and even lake trout in the winter.. tubes are amazing..

Cody Przybyla

Hey bob! I’m wondering if you know the name of the jig head shape used in the tiger tubes, I recently came across quite a few and need to make harnesses for them.

BrianF

I’m not Bob, but know that the TT were rigged with a 3/4oz stand-up jighead, with a wire stinger treble attached. I believe the hook on the jighead was a black nickel 7/0.

Resurrecting this thread got me excited as the TT was a remarkable musky lure that hasn’t been manufactured in years. I reached out to California big bass expert, Bill Siemantel, years ago who told me the molds were sold to a guy who is not doing anything with them. Too bad. Those things were magic.

Cody Przybyla

I absolutely love them! I’m just trying to recreate the original harness as well as I could.. and I spoke with lindy about purchasing those molds about a year ago and they told me that they do not sell molds, discontinued or not. So I’m not sure how accurate that information is that someone else has them at this point. I wish I could find someone who could make a mold off the tubes I have, I’ve got a few I could waste to get one perfect!

BrianF

The stories I could tell…

There’s gotta be 30 ‘dead soldiers’ hanging in my garage at the lake; too shredded up to fish. I can’t bear to part with them thinking that someday they will get repaired and re-used. Unlikely…

Cody Przybyla

They’ve been one of my most productive baits for years now! Every slow day, or light bite the tiger tube still shines. I pulled in a 49 incher opening day this year on one!

Attachments:
    1. 79C6BEA6-29B8-4125-A8BE-47C6E85FCFE4.jpeg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.