Full Size Chevy PickUp 4.8 ltr v/s 5.3 ltr engine

• veamer
    Kekoskee, WI

I am in the Market for a Used Chevy or GMC pickup. I want an Automatic, push button 4×4 extended cab. I found 2 engine sizes I am considering. My Friend has the 5.3 in his 02 Silverado and gets close to 20 MPG and also pulls my Alumacraft Trophy 175 very well-he loves it. I don’t know anybody with the 4.8ltr engine. Curious if anyone has one and how it performs and fuel mileage. I don’t want to go underpowered and end up getting worse fuel economy because of it but there are an awful lot of 4.8’s out there. Horsepower rating is only 10 hp difference between the two.
    Anybody share any thoughts on this. Thanks-Satch

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Although the HP rating is close,look at the torque between the two.Although the 4.8 will certainly do the job,I cant help but think you will regret going with the 4.8 especially in towing applications.If resale is a concern that is also a factor.Ratings on paper versus real life use can be misleading.Good luck!

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

There really isnt a lot of 4.8 out there anyway, most used trucks you find will have the 5.3. If you are concerned with mileage, the 4.8 doesnt do any better than the 5.3, I have had both. That said I have had 4 1500 Z71 ext cabs with the 5.3, and one time, all highway driving, I got 17 mpg. Anything normal driving was 14-15. I just wouldnt buy the truck thinking you are going to get 20 mpg, not in a full size 4×4.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Do not even look at the 4.8l. You can find used trucks with the 4.8 for lots less for a reason. Might as well be a V6. I have a 2000 full size with a 5.3 and pull a 17 foot boat. I can not seeing doing it with any thing less.

marendt
    Lake City, MN

I have a 4.8 and pull a 17 foot lund fisherman. Sure wish I had a 5.3. My wife’s yukon has the 5.3 and you can hardly tell it is back there. Yes the 4.8 gets her done, but if I were to go on a long trip the wife can only scratch her head and say “where did my truck go?”

fishinfool
    mn

Totally agree on the 5.3// you wont regret it. especially on long distance runs like up north fighting traffic and wind. FISHINFOOL

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Its very simple! I have had both and don’t even consider the 4.8L. You will NOT be happy and you will be cutting yourself short.

I have sold Chevys for 4 years, and 4.8L does not hold up for resale.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I haved a 5.3l, awesome engine, pulls my 18footer with ease. Two weeks ago I got 19mpg on the way to LOTW.

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Im doing something wrong then. What year is your 5.3, ext.?cab.? 4×4? I have had several and have never seen over 17 mpg, and that was only once with a mileage chip in the computer.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

I have a 2001 Silverado with the 5.3 and average 18 mpg. I work road construction and drive all around the state of Iowa.

StaleMackrel

I am on my 3rd 4.8 v8 Chevy. The first on was a ’99 Silverado 4×4 LS, the second a ’02 same truck, and I now have a ’05 same truck. I pull a 175 Alumacraft magnum with a 90 Merc four stroke. It is all the truck I need for my use. On the road I drive 65 and when not pulling my rig I always get 19 to 22 mpg! My friend has had the same truck in the z7 series in 99, 02, and 05. He gets 17 on the road but he drives 75 and plus. If I get another truck it will probably have the 4.8 again. By the way I had a ’96 Blazer with the v6 and I only got 17 with it on the road. Good luck with your next truck.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Nick my last two…(2002 & 2004) Chevy Z-71 1500 Silverado Ext Cabs with the 5.3l V-8s both hit over 20 mpg during summer trips. My best was nearly 21 mpg…

The only extras were a Flomaster (dual) exhaust system and an Access Tonneau cover. I guess a lot depends on your power train set up. I’ve had several “unbelievers” take trips with me and get converted to Chevy!

birddog
    Mn.

Stale, my cousin also has one with the 4.8. 2 years in a row on trips to Colorado for elk hunting, pulling a trailer, he got better mileage than the rest of the caravan and had no problems pulling the same weight trailers as the other guys with the 5.3 chevy or the 5.4 fords. He has been very happy with his 4.8. P.S. I have the 5.3 and am happy.

BIRDDOG

nick
    Lakeville, MN

This is the last ford I’ll own unless they do something about mileage….

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

If you are only pulling your boat a short distance you might get by with the 4.8 but if you pull you boat on long trips I would definatly go with the 5.3

For me personaly I would not consider the 4.8 IMHO there is not much differance if any in gas milage, I would rather have the extra pony’s under the hood

Here is an old post on tow vechicles

JTBagwell
    Andalusia, IL

I have a Z71 with the 5.3L and I pull a Triton TR20 (20′). It does just fine, but I don’t get close to 20 mpg.

JT Bagwell

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

This is the last ford I’ll own unless they do something about mileage….

HUH? I was going to let the Chevy boys have their love fest here, but I didn’t want to let this slip by. What engine and what year are you referring to? I have an ’06 F150 with the 5.4 and I am getting 18.5 MPG. I go through 2 tanks a week, so I watch mileage very closely. Anyone who knows me can also tell you I am not that easy on the throttle . This ’06 gets better mileage than my ’02 with the same motor. This thing moves faster than bare feet on July asphalt!
    Tuck

Dobber
    S.W. WI

i have both, the 4.8 and the 5.3. there is no difference in power or mileage with either engine, don’t let anybody BS you. been a mechanic for over17 years in both GM dealership and private. anyone getting mileage over 20 is simply full of s..t! you cant get that empty in the summer on the hwy, let alone some of the claims here.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hey Dobber don’t beat around the bush just tell us like it is
    I was going to bring up the gas mileage also, while I was sitting here trying to find a way to be not quite too blunt about it you beat me to the punch!
    I am glad you brought up the gas mileage, I also find it hard to believe that anyone can get 20 mpg out of any 4×4 full size truck. I have a 95 Chevy Z-71 1500 Silverado Ext Cab with the 5.7V8 350, I love that truck and have been very happy with it no major problems of any kind. I have not checked my gas mileage in a long time but then again I did not buy it for the gas mileage. My family and I are taking our next trip in March to Branson, MO pulling the boat. I will have to check the mileage on that trip my guess is it will be around 13mpg. My mechanic tells me that this is great engine and to hold on to it as long as I can, in 96 they came out with the vortech engine and that’s when they when they had all there problems not with the engine itself but everything else would go out prematurely like trany, water pumps etc, etc. Dobber maybe you can shed a little more light on this. One question I have is if there is no difference in power or mileage with either engine then why not go with the 5.3?

Quote:

i have both, the 4.8 and the 5.3. there is no difference in power or mileage with either engine, don’t let anybody BS you. been a mechanic for over17 years in both GM dealership and private. anyone getting mileage over 20 is simply full of s..t! you cant get that empty in the summer on the hwy, let alone some of the claims here.

Dobber
    S.W. WI

your right about the truck you have, probably the best engine they had. no real power or mileage difference between the 4.8 or the 5.3, why not get either one?

chico-diablo
    New Richmond, WI

Just had to do it, 5.7 Hemi, extended cab 4×4 17.6 mpg, pull an 8,000 lb skid steer, when not pulling my boat. Like to drive around 65-70.

marendt
    Lake City, MN

I have the 4.8 and my wife has the 5.3. I can tell a huge difference between the two! Go figure, the wife has more power!

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I’ve got the 6.0 liter, score about 12 mpg, no matter what I pull, how far, temperature, or otherwise. Old man’s truck has the 4.8, definitely not the power but I don’t have any trouble pulling 17 or 18 foot boats.

Dobber
    S.W. WI

with the same gear ratio there is no detectable power difference or mileage difference, have driven 100,s yes 100,s of them.

Dobber
    S.W. WI

I wont even comment on the dodge mileage, I think most people know better!

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I used to never beleive the guys that said they got 20 mpg. I’ll tell you how to do it though. Gas milage depends highly on your “style” if you will. I have a 2002 4×4 ext. cab silverado. I get 19 mpg. if I drive just under 60 with the cruise on. According to chevrolet, in my truck the most fuel efficient speed is 48 mph. Driving 75 kills your gas milage. I will gurantee you can get 19 mpg in a stock silverado 5.3. Just slow down. If you’re riding the throttle up and down and and your tach doesn’t stay still, you’ll pay for your driving habits. Its true though,….19mpg.
    Oh yeah,….don’t even bother with a 4.8

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.