Alumacraft boats

• Snagger
    Owatonna, MN

I am thinking about buying a new 185 tounament pro with a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke. I have always owned Lund Boats and was wondering if there is anything I should beware of. Thanks for any input. I DO NOT WANT TO START A LUND VS ALUMACRAFT WAR!

smallmouthbass
    Annandale, MN

Two years ago I switched from a Ranger 681c to a new 175cs Magnum from Alumacraft and I absolutely love my boat. Nothing to report problem-wise. Everything worked great and still does. The nicest thing is I don’t HAVE to wash it everytime I use it. My glass boats would start to look a little nasty if I let them go without a wash once a month. Also, as far as rigged package goes I liked the fact that I could get any motor I wanted. Last fall Winni tried it’s best to beat the ever loving crap out of it and it’s still rock solid.

marty28
    Mendota Heights, MN

I am a faithful Lund owner. A big positive I know about Alumacrafts is that they have no rivets. As a matter of fact, I would have no problem with an Alumaraft in my garage.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

I am a faithful Lund owner. A big positive I know about Alumacrafts is that they have no rivets.

Unless they just changed thier hulls this year I’m pretty sure they still use rivets.

Very good quality, strong hulled boats.

I ran a Tournement Pro 175 for 5 years and never had a problem with it.

If I went back to an aluminum boat, I’d buy an Alumacraft.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I’ve had an Alumacraft 175 Trophy for the last two years and have no complaints. I’ve never owned another boat but I love my Alumacraft!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I have had a number of boats over the years. As Mr. Holst will attest to, (We wired my boat..) it is a very user friendly boat to add on to and wire stuff. Probably the easiest boat I have owned for such things! I am not sponsored by Alumacraft. It is just an objective opinion. I have a Navigator that is for sale in the classifieds. I am upgrading…

Tuck

StaleMackrel

Hi, Just my experience with boats. My firs boat was a Lund and it was really a very good boat. My last 6 boats have been Alumacraft. Early some models were not that hot but my last two Alumacrafts, a 1996 Dominator and my 2001 175 Magnum have been just really great boats! I will buy Alumacraft again! Just my experience! I do think that the Alumacraft advertisement that they offer more boat for the money is right on. I love my 2xb hull the dry ride and my no feed back steering. Thank goodness there are a number of good boats available. One suggestion is to talk to the guys in the service department on what they see in their work.

cogborn
    Prior Lake/Savage, MN

I have a 2002 Alumacraft Trophy 185 and absolutely love it. It’s a great boat for fishing and pulling kids around the lake. I like the 2XB hulls and dry ride.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

I’ve owned 3 Alumacrafts and have had to deal with the factory and can only say they take good care of you when problems arise. But that’s my experience!

I currently run a 195 Tournament pro Tiller.

ARCH
    southern minnesota

I have a 2004 Alumacraft mag. 175 and absolutely love this boat, the only thing I wish I had is more dry storage. But if you step up to the tourney pro you can get that.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have owened two Alumacrafts and two Lunds and all were great boats.
    Thanks, Bill

marty28
    Mendota Heights, MN

Oops, I must have gotten hit in the head with a hockey stick that day. I was thinking of a Crestliner. Oh well, I still would say Alumacraft is a high quality boat.

look-a-like
    St. Charles, MN

I’ve owned two Lunds and a Crestliner and recently purchased a 2006 175 Tournament Pro Tiller with a Yamaha 90 4-stroke. For the type of fishing I do on the river I know it was the right choice for me and am sure you will be happy with a 185 TP.

Snagger
    Owatonna, MN

Thanks for all the good input, I agree with the point that you can buy more boat for the dollar with Alumacraft than Lund. I still will compare both when I buy next time. I bought a Tounament Sport 185 with a 150 Yammy 4 stroke.

Shawn U

I am looking at the Alumacraft 165 Competition Sport with a 90hp Mercury and Eagle trailer. Does anyone know how long this setup is with the swing away tongue folded in? My garage is 20′-10″ and I guessing it will be close.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I am looking at the Alumacraft 165 Competition Sport with a 90hp Mercury and Eagle trailer. Does anyone know how long this setup is with the swing away tongue folded in? My garage is 20′-10″ and I guessing it will be close.

I used to own a classic 165 with a 70HP. my garage at the time was, I believe 21ft long. sometimes the Pin on the tongue would hit the garage door as it closed if I didn’t have it spun the correct way if that gives you any idea.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

to the original poster, I currently own a 2016 competitor sport LE. I really like the boat. had some issues with the classic (2014) before it was in a boating accident but the competitor has been great. the ride is smooth and the interior finish is quality. I would recommend getting the LE, I think it adds some very nice and useful features. Also I priced out Lund when I bought and found that, for what I wanted, Lund would cost an avg of 5k more for the same setup and I would have to settle for mercury, which I am not a fan of. For that reason I think that Alumacraft does give you the best bang for your buck.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I’ve been considering a new Alumacraft T-Pro. I do a fair amount of trolling with planer boards and am skeptical at best that the Alumatrac feature for rod holders would be adequate for the job. Does anyone have first hand experience with the Alumatrac and planer boards?

http://www.alumacraft.com/About-Alumacraft.php?content=options

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Gosh darn it Francis, I talked to two owners about the same thing. I think one might have been Mike Larson(?) It was a couple of years ago.

Either way both said it was solid.

We were talking about channel cats and having the reel and drag lock down. I was concerned a larger fish would pull the trac off.

Cool to see this old post come to life again.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Aaah, didn’t think of asking Mr. Larson.

Thanks, BK.

ruce Graham

I have a 2018 Alumacraft 17.5 Edge. Don’t ever buy this boat. The windshield assembly is designed to fail. Only 2 small screws in cheap and weak plastic are used to hold the inside edge. Best of my ability to calculate they can hold about 7 lbs of pressure. And when it fails, no matter what they don’t warrantee it. Real junk. I can only imagine the other failures yet to come. I have owned Alumacrafts since I was 10 years old (still have that boat), never had issues with this type of cheapness and lack of service. RUN AWAY……..

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I have a 2018 Alumacraft 17.5 Edge. Don’t ever buy this boat. The windshield assembly is designed to fail. Only 2 small screws in cheap and weak plastic are used to hold the inside edge. Best of my ability to calculate they can hold about 7 lbs of pressure. And when it fails, no matter what they don’t warrantee it. Real junk. I can only imagine the other failures yet to come. I have owned Alumacrafts since I was 10 years old (still have that boat), never had issues with this type of cheapness and lack of service. RUN AWAY……..

Welcome to the forum, great first post digging up a 4 year old thread. I’m waiting in anticipation of your future posts.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Thanks for the tip! I love my 2012 Dominator 175. It ain’t no Lund but I was really happy to have an extra 10k in my pocket.

Tim Chrouser

I bought a 94 Alumacraft Pantom V170 new in 1994 with a 1995 100hp Merc (in my profile photo). Took or to Canada 26 straight years…while challenging 6 rocks with my lower unit. Boat held up very well. Motor did, too, but I take very good care of both.
    I’m selling this rig in the spring because I’ll be taking delivery of an Alumacraft Competitor 175 CS with 150 Merc XS. I liked the Lund I was looking at, too, but the money I saved by going with the Alumacraft justified (in my mind) buying the 150XS. I can’t wait to get my new boat!

deertracker

It was nice to see a post from Tuck, even if his reply was from 2006.
    DT

ruce Graham

It’s what I could find !!!. Been a boater for a long time, but new to participating in forums, I guess I didn’t have anything to motivate me before. I have Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft, and Grumman in Aluminum and SeaFox in glass right now, plus some old wood Thompsons, never have been treated like this.

shady5

DT

It’s funny how people that seem to be in the inner circle drop off of the site (Andy F., Scott S., Chris G., Dustin, even seems that Paul D. and Will R. are fading away etc., etc.).

onestout
    Hudson, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>deertracker wrote:</div>
    DT

It’s funny how people that seem to be in the inner circle drop off of the site (Andy F., Scott S., Chris G., Dustin, even seems that Paul D. and Will R. are fading away etc., etc.).

I would agree, life and priorities are constantly changing.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.