lookin out my back door

• emover
    Malcom, IA

No, it’s not a CCR revival, however, this morning when I took the dog out after breakfast about 8AM, we no sooner cleared the garage door and we spooked 3 lovely young does that were enjoying some of my really needs to be mowed lawn. Of course no digital camera, I mean I’m still waking up, but believe you me Cassidy, my 85 lb Collie, was wide awake and thought these were some really nice new playtime friends. (thank goodness for choke chains, does anybody know a good chiropractor to reset my shoulder?) They were a bit confused by the barking, but weren’t curious enough to come and see what the furball would do.

The part I find interesting is that we’ve lived at this location for 22 years this past June, and the last deer I saw in the yard was 22 years ago in June. He was a beautiful 6 point buck at 6AM through the bathroom window, the first week after we moved in. At that time I could see deer or other creatures exploring the yard from the county preserved land adjacent to us, but both of my kids and all their friends have really enjoyed this land and “the trails” as they were most frequently called. Plus since then many other families have moved in nearby and regularly venture into “the trails”.

My question is(finally, I know I’m long winded, hey I talked for a living for 25 years) is there something in nature that would bring deer in the yard after all these years? I would think that just because my kids are gone, the neighbors and their mini bikes and 4 wheelers would still cause plenty of disturbance. Just thought I’d get some opinions.

dave

jeffleek
    preston, mn.

Dave, I think that if you have deer living in your area there is not much that will keep them OUT of your yard. It is funny you have not seen them consistently over the years. I live on the edge of town with a small woods behind me and I see deer every day. It is possible that there was something keeping them out. Possibly some construction a few years back in your area relocated them for a while. Maybe your area just does not support the deer and every noe and than you are getting some wandering through. JLK

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.