rabbits in gardens

• clintm
    mazeppa mn

Does anyone know about laws on shooting rabbits destroying gardens I havent yet but my mom is getting PO’d. Just wondering if ther is a pest clause in the laws.
    Thanks

bigcrappie
    Blaine

22 short shell, works great….. I heard some kind of pepper spred a round the garden works too.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I put a 2′ chickenwire fence around mine, but my brother claims that if you spread dog hair around the edges they will stay out. The problem is finding that amount of dog hair. A groomer maybe.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

In the city? Chain the dog up near it..they will stay away.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

.22 caliber pellet gun works wonders. Rabbits jump around alot because they are too full of air. You need to ventilate them. The nice thing is that rabbits are like the bread of the animal world… everything eats them. I haven’t seen a ventilated one last more than 12 hours before something has them for a snack.

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

Get some blood meal and sprinkle around the edge. Keep it away from the garden about 10″. Keeps all animals and rodents away. Don’t need to spread it too thick. Moth balls or crystals work good too. But I hate the smell of them myself.

clintm
    mazeppa mn

that sounds like a good idea just don’t want to loose hunting rights over a garden!

phishmn

Rubber snakes work like a charm. Go to your local toy store and give it a whirl. Just lie them in various locations around your plants. They do not like the sight of a snake as much as me.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I know Fishing Machines moth ball idea works well….But, if you have young kids in the area they look too much like candy to leave outside.
    Although they stink…this has actually happen. The boy didn’t swallow it..but just had it in his mouth a few seconds before he came across the yard crying.

Just a word of caution…

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

Your right BRIANK. I never thought of that. My gardens never were where small kids would be around. Blood meal is the best to use. Have tried the snake thing. Bought some expensive ones. And it didn’t work. But we even have deer that come in and are worse than the rabbits. The blood meal works to keep them out also.

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

A BUDDY OF MINE SAID HE USES URINE SCENT FOR LIKE FOXES, COYOTE, ETC … HE SAID YOU CAN GET IT AT ANY HUNTING STORE AND HE SAID HES NEVER HAD A PROBLEM SINCE … JUS A LIL INFO

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

A 410 does the trick real well ! Unfortunately with you being in the city I’d pass on that. Get yourself a decent pellet gun. Somthing in the 800 to 1200 PSI range.177 or 22 cal will knock the stuffing out of em.

barc
    SE MN

I have been impressed with Liquid Fence lots of rabbits in the area and so far they have left everything with the Liquid Fence applied alone… Not the best smelling stuff in the world but at least it keeps the bunnies at bay..
    barc

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

ONE OTHER THING NOT MENTIONED HERE IS HUMAN HAIR AROUND THE PLANTS, MY FATHER IS A BARBER AND HE HAS PEOPLE ASKING HIM FOR HAIR ALL THE TIME, WORKS GOOD FOR DEER IN THE APPLE ORCHARDS, THEY STUFF A NYLON SOCK AND HANG IT ON THE TREE, AND THEY KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE HAIR SO I THING IT WORKS.
    I HAVEN’T TRIED ANYTHING FOR MY GARDEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SPRINGER SPANIEL IN A FENCED IN BACK YARD, I CAN’T BELIVE HOW THOSE RABBITS CAN GO THROUGH A CHAINLINK FENCE AT FULL SPEED BUT THEY ONLY MISS ONCE AND MY DOG HAS IT THAN LAYS IT ON THE BACK STEP LIKE A TROPHY.

GIVE IT A TRY

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.