Chevy or Ford??

• horsch
    Hastings, MN

Hey, Iam looking at getting a newer used 4-door truck. I am a chevy man, but wondering how the f250 ford truck are? I like the way they look, but never owned a ford! Does anyone here own one? how do the ride? I tried a chevy 4 door 1/2 ton hd and it rode rough! My 97 z71 rides better. I need the room with 2 teenagers they are getting too big for ext/cab!! I still like chevy but the ride, unless i need to get a z71 package? Well only thing not crazy about on new chevys is the grill! Any one got any comments, I’d like to hear!! Thanks

tcfishing
    Anoka, MN

I too WAS a Chevy man until my Chevy truck couldn’t go more than 20,000 miles on breaks and rotors, there were some more issues but we won’t get into that. I bought a 99 f250 diesel 3 years ago, pit 80,000 miles on it, replaced breaks, tires and altenator once. Just bought 2004 f350 diesel and love it better. The ride is good, I think the seats could be a little more comfortable, however the 2004 has leather(first time for me) and it seems more comfortable. I bought it at Monticello Ford, believe me forking out that kind of money I looked everywhere for a deal and they came through.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I’m a Ford truck man, that’s all I drive.

I aint got no boundries, no compromise.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I got a 1 ton GMC, and have had no problems with it. I have the crew cab with a full 8′ box. People who have ridden with me say it’s really a smooth riding truck. I have a freind who just bought a new fish house ‘cuz the Fords only have a 5 1/2’ box! Must be nice to have all that money!!! Dos’nt matter what kind of vehicel you might own, They all have their faults! And Lemons!

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Go and test drive a new crew cab and I know you will buy it. They have improved alot this year. I bought a 2005 F150 4X4 super cab with the 5.4 triton and it’s the best ride ever.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I think you’ll find the ride is slightly better in the Chevy, comparing 3/4 ton to 3/4 ton. In the 1/2 ton world, I think they are so close it’s tough to call. I’m a Ford man at heart, but I do like the Chevy also. The seats you get will make a huge difference. My mom went from captains in her F150 03 to the 40/60 split in the 05. The 03 was way more comfortable. Have fun shopping!!!

TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

I’m am a chevy guy myself, Until I bought this last truck at the end of 04. I’m not going to go into all of the details, but at the end of this year, it is gone, and I too am going to the F250. Man am I going to get some crap for that since my entire family is all about Ford. Oh well. Time to suck it up.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I have the 150 Crew cab with the FX4 Rancho suspension. It rides like a dream! Do you really need the 250? My 150 pulled my 20′ Crestliner like nothin’.! I also have the 5.4 Triton engine. I get 17 MPG combined driving Hwy/Cty. I am neither a Chevy or Ford guy. I have owned both with good results. (My last rig was a 94 Suburban with 169k on it!)But this Triton motor is very nice, smooth and powerful! The ride is fantastic. My buddy LeRoy has the 250, and it rides OK as well. Yeah, you give up a little in the box with the 150. I think you can get the longer box in the 250 Crew Cab as well as in the 350.
    Tuck

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Very interesting post!!! I am also in the market for a new truck to pull my boat! I am debating on switching to a diesel engine, because most of my fishing includes long runs or lots of miles to the favorite fishing holes. Any suggestions on switching to a diesel engine vs the standard gas. Oh by the way i am a Gm guy!!

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

My opinion,

Chevy is a way better ride than ford for one. The second is since ford went to the 6.0 ltr. diesel they have went to crap. The only car co. I no to go smaller on there diesels, what a waste the 7.3 was the best by far. The duramax diesel is by far better with there comon rail injection system with ford still having injectors its hard for them to compete. As far as a work truck goes, FORD hands down. There heavy duty axles are alot better than chevys independent front susp., I have seen a few break. They seem to take alot more abuse than the chevys do

I am in a split decision between the two I curently own one of each. If all I were going to do was haul the boat and maybe a few tools my choice would be the chevy duamax. Needing a good work truck to put a plow on Im sticking with the ford.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I went from a F350 7.4 diesel to the 150. I get the same mileage pulling with the 150 as I did with the diesel. And, I got the nicer ride for the 98% of the time I was not pulling the boat. I know a lot of people pulling 20 footers with the 150 and the 5.4L. She is plenty strong!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

So what you are saying Tucker, is that I should be fine with my 1500 Gmc Sierra 5.3L pulling my 20′ boat. I am just a little concerned with the gas mileage that i will get compared to the diesel engine! Any thoughts on miles per gallon when comparing gas to a diesel pulling a 20′ boat. Thanks for the input guys!

kooty
    Keymaster

In my 99 Sierra, the mileage drops considerably when pulling the 17.5 foot crestliner around. I usually get 17-18 on the highway, with the boat it’s down to 9-10. Keep in mind, my motor has 130k + miles. I have no doubt the new 150’s will do much better since they have more torque and HP than I have. I can’t decide what my next one will be…250 or 150??

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I ran about 12-13 MPG with the diesel, and got about the same with the 150. As far as the GMC goes, I am not sure. As I had mentioned, I have the FX4 suspension, and she hardly squated. I would imagine the GMC would get the job done OK.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

I own a 2002 GMC 1500 crew cab with a 6L(gas hog) motor. I drove a Duramax to and from Erie this past summer and could not believe the difference in torque and lugging power. Night and day, if you don’t believe me please go try one out. I don’t have a strong allegiance to any one company, they all make great trucks and not so great trucks. Find the interior you like and match it to the motor and suspension that pulls what you are towing. Kurt

kooty
    Keymaster

Kurt is right about the power. I drove my buddies duramax home from Wy last fall. We had a goose neck trailer, with 5 horses and a 4 wheeler plus gear in the trailer. I could run down the interstate at 75-80mph no problem. I was amazed the power that truck had. The 6.0L powerstroke pulling the empty trailer ran circles around me on the hills, but when it came time to fuel up, they both took about the same amount of fuel. I was very impressed with both motors.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Ranger29 is your GMC paid for? If so is the truck in good shape and how many more miles can you get out of it? How much would a new truck payment be compared to the gas money you would spend on your current rig? I have a 95 Chevy 1/2 ton with 109,000 miles in great shape, I plan on getting at least another 100,000 out of her. The gas money I spend on this truck is a lot less than what a new truck payment would be. I should also add that I have an every day car with 160,000 miles on it so I do not drive the truck every day, it’s a 90 geo prizm and still going strong and I plan on getting at least 300,000 mile on it.

Quote:

So what you are saying Tucker, is that I should be fine with my 1500 Gmc Sierra 5.3L pulling my 20′ boat. I am just a little concerned with the gas mileage that I will get compared to the diesel engine! Any thoughts on miles per gallon when comparing gas to a diesel pulling a 20′ boat. Thanks for the input guys!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Steve its not paid for yet? I have enough equity in it to trade it in and keep my payments where the are! The truck is strictly a hunting and fishing vehicle. Trips to the Dakotas and many trips to Mille Lacs, LOW, Winnie, Erie, i just think a diesel would be better on gas mileage. I also plan on putting that performance chip into the duramax! I am just looking for other IDA’ers opionon on this topic!

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

Ranger,
    Im not sure where gas prices will go but diesel is usally cheaper than gas but for the last 6 months diesel has been .20-.80 cents more than reg. gas. Dont buy a diesel because of the milege buy one for the power it has. Also as others have said the 5.4 triton is a very good motor you wont loose too much in milege towing your ranger maybe 3mpg max. Most guys I no with the 5.4 are getting aroun 17 mpg. Currently as I said before the duamax is alot better than fords 6 ltr especially in the milege dept. so if you are choosing a diesel and its a hunting-fishing truck I would recomend the duramax diesl.

warriorrivy
    Hastings MN

In my opinion, don’t get the diesel unless you plan on driving it! If you are only looking for a huntin’ and fishin’ rig, you could save the money the diesel option costs, vs poorer mileage the gas motor gets. The only way you can recoop your extra costs for the diesel, (according to Consumer Reports), is run them for more than 100,000 miles. I have owned 2 Ford diesels, and run a “95” now. It is my everyday ride. I currently have 220,000 miles on her. I wouldn’t get anything else. Diesel that is. A water pump, alternator, front brakes, and some glow plugs is all I have put into her. Believe it or not, I am still on the original rear brakes! I do have a manual trans though, which helps. MPG is great for a big truck, as long as you keep the speed reasonable. This year with Chappy, we came home from LOW in a snow storm and was in 4X4, damn near all the way home, and drove basically 50 to 60 mph, and averaged 20.2 MPG. One thing I would suggest, if you are thinking of going with a diesel, is get the 3.73, (OR Chev’s equivalent) gears. With all that torque, there is no need to get the 4.10’s unless you are going to be pulling close to the rated maximum.
    I am going to wait till I got 300,000 on her before I get another one. Waiting to see how both the Duramax and the 6 liter PowerStroke live up to their billing. As a poster said before, it probably comes down to which interior/exterior designs you like best. I don’t think you can go wrong with either make of truck.
    P.S. Oh, one other thing, if you or your fishing partner, don’t like the smell of diesel, don’t get it. That is the biggest complaint people have with my truck!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Geez guys thanks for confusing me!!!!
    How bad is the diesel smell????? Even with newer truck???
    I know the power and performance of a diesel is second to none.
    Screw it its done! I am going to check both interiors of the diesels and buy one!
    Thanks for the help fellow IDA’ers!!!!!

kenwarren
    Olin, Iowa

My answer to the posted question is NEITHER. Get a Dodge truck with the Cummins Diesel. Go for the most powerful and most reliable one on the market.

I have a 2004.5 Dodge 3500 6-spd, 4-door, long bed, SRW. I now have 35000 miles on it and I get about 20mpg on the hwy and 18 driving back and forth to work. Hook the boat up and I still get 15mpg. Not too bad for a 1 ton truck.

If you are going to put high miles on it the diesel is well worth it. Eventhough it cost more that a gas engine most of that will come back in resale and the problem free performance. Diesel is a bit smelly but it quickly gets under your skin and then gas stinks and diesel smells good. If you follow the recommended maintanence this engine should go 300,000 or more easily.

horsch
    Hastings, MN

I like the way you think to! I too have a 97 cheuy ext/cab with 127,000 miles still runs good but the room, the kids!! Hate to really buy a newer one but might have too. But maybe the trade in valve is still woth something? Just hate payments, thats why looking a a newer used model 2002-2004. guess just have to decide. Thanks for all the input I really liked reading everyones takes on this!!! Jim

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Chevy…no questions asked!

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I drive a Toyota Sequoia (which is basically a Tundra). And it is never in the shop for repairs.

dd

HenryPF

I am going to put in my 2 cents and say go with this baby! International CXT

All yours for for a low starting price of only $90,000!

P.S. tow hitch extra!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Now thats a MAN’s Truck !!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.