Best Fishing book?

• dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

Hey guys, Im looking for a good read through the holidays. I am having a VERY hard time finding a fishing experiences book about walleyes and/or the midwest. I dont want a how-to, I have a shelf full of them. The bookstore shelves are full of journals and travel experiences of flyfisherman, but I am looking for something I would be more interested in. (Namely non-flyfishing Midwest and walleye.)

Any suggestions?

Dave

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

This isn’t a long read but “First Light On The Water” by Ron and Al Linder is a very good book. It tells of their early life, their tournament experiences, close calls in rough weather, and how religion has helped them in tough times. Highly recommended.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Dave,here are a few books I have that I think are good reads.
    They are both about tournament fishing(walleye),both bad and good.
    “12 days in walleye heaven” by Doug Burns.Here is Doug’s # 1 712-362-3110.He will have a copy for you.
    “Journal of a walleye pro” by Daryl Christensen.I don’t know if this # is any good anymore but try it. 1-515-565-3389.
    Ryan Hale

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I’ve always liked “The Old Man and the Sea”, by Ernest Hemingway. Nothing wrong with reading a ‘classic’.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

If you are not able to find a book just pull up some of the old threads on this web site and read them. Much of the material is probably fiction. Wait a minute, fishermen never stretch the truth.

There just don’t seem to be many books written on midwest fishing other than the how-to books. I have read the one by the Linders and it was a good read. I also read one many years ago about a survival adventure in the boundry waters area of nothern Minnesota. Parts of this book dealt with fishing. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of the book as it has been over 30 years since I read it. The story was based on a true story of a canoeing/fishing trip turned sour by a series of events and bad weather back in the early 1900’s. If anybody out there knows the name of this book please let me know. It is going to drive me crazy trying to remember the name.

Eyehunter

davec
    St. Paul MN.

Read the book Spoonplugger by E.L. Buck Perry.
    This is a must read for what ever fresh water fish you are after

jldii

If you could ever find them, the series of informational books written back in the late 60’s, early 70’s (I think), by Bill Binkleman would be a great read.

FYI, in case you don’t know who Bill Binkleman is, he was the person who first delved into structure fishing, and using nightcrawlers. He individually got the Lindners started in the direction that made them famous. He was a true pioneer in walleye fishing and understanding how they relate to structure. I think he had maybe 4 or 5 small “how to” books published. They would make a great collectors item too!

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

JDL – “Lunkers Love Nightcrawlers” by Bill Binkleman. Yes it is a classic.

Another good read that is mixed with folklore and fishing info is “River Fishing – A Happy World” by Dan Gapen. I view Gapen is the godfather of all us river fishing folks. He was the first to write extensively about fishing rivers.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Dan Gapen has a few books out. There are suposed to be lots of stories from his resort days in canada and from else where. Being neighbors of a Gapen there is one thing I know. They can tell a heck of a story.

I think wilderness north is suposed to be pretty good.
    Gapen.com

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

“How to Win the Walleye Game” by Jeff Murray and Mike McClelland

“Walleye Wisdom” an In-Fisherman book by Al Lindner, Dave Csanda, Tony Dean, Ron Lindner, Bob Ripley and Doug Stange

If you can’t catch walleyes after reading these two, your dead….find a place to lay down.

or anything written by Patrick McManus……funny stuff

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Hey Dave,
    I don’t think this is the best fishing book..
    But it is a fun read…
    “Classic Minnesota Fishing Stories”
    By: Joe Fellegy
    it is a collection of short stories and true accounts from the past…
    Take care Merry Christmas………

jldii

Here are some outdoor writers that are all good reading.

Pat McMannus, Ed Zern, Corey Ford, Gene Hill, Gordon MacQuarrie, Russell Annabell.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.