ram rod 2000 rod holders, anyone tried ’em?

• KJK
    Cottage Grove

The RAM system seems so versatile,and with all the available
    attachments like the lantern holder etc. etc…
    But the holder itself looks pretty funky.
    I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried them,
    or has any comments on other products on the market.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Personally I can’t stand them. One of the poorest designs I’ve ever seen and I’ve got to believe the only reason they’ve been as successful as they have is do to some pretty good marketing. Line tangles in them and holders are too narrow to allow for a quick “up and out” of the rod. My customers struggle with them CONSTANTLY where scotty holders never did anything but just hold the rod. Maybe we can get some of my customers from Mille Lacs this fall to chime in here and share some of the frustrations with trying to get the rod in and out in the dark. More often than not the line from the rod would get caught up in that little blue hasp that actually keeps the rod from falling out and we’d lose fish while trying to untangle the works.

I know my opinion is not a popular one but I believe there are much better products out there for half the money.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I didn’t lose any fish with James, but I can attest to the awkwardness of getting the rods in and out of them. I run Scotty’s and think they work much better than the RAMs. Just my two cents.

danwi
    westby wi

does scottys have a web site?

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

You should be able to see them on the Cabelas website. Thanks, Bill

PS. I believe they are the same as Cabelas rod holders. If I’m wrong someone please correct me.

Cabelas rod holders

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Personally, I love them! Best design I have ever seen or used. Have them on both of my boats! (And, no I’m not sponsored by RAM. I paid full retail for all of them.)

Bullet proof. If I can’t break them, they can’t get broke. Period! I will put them on my next boat too.

-Jon J.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

I have had them on my Ranger since I bought it and I guess I have just gotten use to them and like them now. I do have to watch customers when they put the rod in the holder that they put it in there right. alot of people that never use them will put the rods in about half way and not have the reel seated in the holder. Rarely do I ever use the blue clasp keeper for securing the rods in the holders. (only if I am making a sharp turn with planer boards out)
    The biggest reason I like the Ram holders is that they stand the rod off the gunnel of the boat high enough to get in and out of my tackle storage compartments.

I used to run the Atwoods (roberts) holders for years and like them for the simplicity.

KJK
    Cottage Grove

wow
    So far it looks like a split decision.
    Either you like them or hate ’em.

It looks like this may be a tougher decision than I thought.

Thanks for the replies.

Don Hanson

I have used RAM holders for over 5 years and have never had any problems with them. While trolling I sometimes have 6 rods in the holders, never had a line tangle or lost fish because of the holder.

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

I have had them since they came out, and love them. I fish them with inline boards, dispsies, Jet divers, cranks, and straight line trolling. They are strong, set high off the gunnels, and hold the rod snug so there is no slop. I have had no trouble getting the rods in or out of them. Not sure why folks get their line wrapped in them, as I have fished 6 rods in my boat with them and have not had that problem.

shaggy
    Milaca, MN

I have the older style RAM holders with the ball and socket ends. I think they work great for both adjustability and for the height they keep your rods above the side gunnels of your boat when trolling planner boards yet still allowing easy access to storage compartments. Once you get use to them it would be hard to change to anything else.

One knock against the RAM holder is using a roll pin to hold the keeper to the holder. They have a tendency to back there way out. I have replaced them all with Stainless machine screws with nyloc nuts and that cured the issue.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I really like them. I will be putting them on my next Ranger also. I like the design because the rods come out easy under pressure. I can see how they would be difficult for someone who is not used to using them. I love them for tournament fishing.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

I have a pair..

I like the height off the the deck.

But I do have to watch customers because they don’t get it.

So you have to have a mini seminar on rod postioning.

Also have to agree with James on line tangles..it gets tangled in the open arm edge..when it is windy and you have new people in your rig.

But I would purchase more.

They are the best design for a quick grab under pressure..

jeff6771

I love them never had a problem my 6 year old has no trouble with them.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

I love them never had a problem my 6 year old has no trouble with them.

Are you saying your 6 yr old is handier than me?? That hurts man!! It looks like I’m in the minority for RAM rod holders. I love their other products.

jeff6771

I’m not saying he is smarter then you it took him a couple of trips and now he has no trouble with them.
    what works for some doesn’t work for others go with what you like not what other people like.

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

I have both types on my boat and prefer the scotty’s, but the rams are also nice.

brunn
    Andover, MN

I like the ram rod holders. Once you’re used to them, its no problem. It was probably harder to get used to the way they look than anything else.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.