Fire Hazzards!

• StaleMackrel

Boy oh boy! I had a reminder today. This might be on a number of appropriate slots but I will post it here. I went down to Kellogg from Plainview today at about 10:30. Somewhere close to Plainview on # 4 a rig drove by me with a blazing flame extending out the rear side of the boat where maybe the battery rig is. Anyway I honked the horn but since this is two lane traffic I could not just jump over and run him down. Also, two cars went by just as I did the honking and I figured they would very shortly run into this situation. I actually was ready to hear an explosion! We all (hopefully do a lot of checks on our rigs) but how many of us check the wiring process to see that it is not frayed etc. I was in my Alumacraft 16 Yukon back in the early 70’s on Winnie and we had a fire because of wiring wear. I vowed never to have that happen again. Two years ago my friend Rick E pulled into a gas station up north to have the attendant run out and let him know he had a fire which was battery wire induced. Now today when I got home I checked the wireing for frays etc. I have to admit that I have not done that since the early 70’s! Wow what is wrong with me! Please do not be stupid like me and have a terrible fire occurance! I’ll post this here but maybe James can direct it elsewhere! Be careful guys and gals! StaleMackrel reporting in!

herb
    6ft under

Thanks for the timely heads up.

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

I have installed battery disconnects and breakers on all my battery cables, once I get the boat secured on the trailer the power is turned off. I figure the switch runs about $25.00 and the 4 breakers at about $8.00 each, cheap insurance !

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.