Taking boat to Ontario for first time,regulations?

• flanders51

I am taking, for the first time, my new 17ft, 140 hp, boat to Ontario for our annual fishing trip.

Are there any regulations in terms of boating card, licenses, fees, whatever that I should be aware of?

I am trying to be proactive so I don’t get to the border with my pants down.

Thanks!

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Just have proof of registration/ownership. They generally don’t check it but may ask you if its your boat.

When on the water the MNR will check for these things :Make sure you have a fire extinguisher, a paddle of some type (I prefer collapsible), throwable cushion, and a Canadian boat kit. I believe You can still get those at Fleet Farm. They consist of a floating rescue line, pea less whistle, the container it comes in county’s as your bailer, and there may be a few other things in it.

I would be more worried about passport stuff being in order than anything. No live bait except for crawlers in artificial bedding.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

And don’t bring in a bag of fresh potatoes… they will be confiscated.

Be prepared for:
    “Where are you going in Canada?”
    “Where are you staying?”
    “When are you leaving Canada?”
    “Are you going to leave the boat in Canada?”

Fireworks, liquor, driver’s license, firearms, live bait and registrations are likely topics for discussion.

Have a good trip.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.