boat motor year/ models

• yellowdog
    Alma Wi

A buddy of mine purchased a new war eagle boat with a yammy motor. After getting it home he noticed that the plate on the motor says it was made in 2012. The rig that was ordered was supposed to be a 2014. When he contacted the salesman he was told that motors are no longer designated by year but by model only. So he was sold a motor that was sitting in the dealers warehouse for two years instead of the new one he expected. Does this seem kosher to you guys?

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Quote:

As long as Yamaha did not make any new changes/improvements in that model since 2012, I
    would be fine with it.

So when he goes to trade it he loses 2 yrs value on the trade, correct?

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Some manufacturers get around this by not putting a year on the motor at all, you have to look for the date stamp on the parts to get an idea. If it was made in 2012 and sold as a 14 I wouldn’t be happy about it.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Yeah, I’d be ok with it

As long as the motor was new and unused just sitting in a crate, there’s no problem

Nowadays they use the date of registration. So if you buy a motor in 2014 that happened to be built in 2012, but wasn’t registered until 2014 they call it a 2014

The warranty doesn’t start until the motor is registered, so you still get the full 3 years

Stan Jenson
    sw wisconsin

When I bought my new boat last year I got a 2013 motor, a 2012 boat and a 2011 trailer. My last boat was 1993 with a 1992 motor and no one said anything about it when I traded it in but that might be because of its age.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

If it was written up as a 2014 Yamaha motor then he should get a 2014.
    The work around is to not put a model year on the purchase agreement. Sometimes written up as a “current model” motor.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Quote:

When I bought my new boat last year I got a 2013 motor, a 2012 boat and a 2011 trailer. My last boat was 1993 with a 1992 motor and no one said anything about it when I traded it in but that might be because of its age.

Were you aware of the dates before delivery and did you pay acordingly?

Stan Jenson
    sw wisconsin

I was aware of the boat but wasn’t sure about the motor and had no idea about the trailer. I saved about $2000 on the deal compared to a 2013 boat from another dealer. The other boat also only had a 75 hp motor the boat I got had a 90hp on it.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Can’t beat that

You saved $2000 and got a motor upgrade

Stan Jenson
    sw wisconsin

I couldn’t agree more. The only thing was I had to drive to St. Cloud instead of buying at a local dealer.But for the money I can’t argue.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Seems weird to me. Would you buy a new car/truck with a brand new motor a few years older than the body year I think not. If you are paying top dollar new from a dealer all years should match, but that is my opinion and would not allow it. The motor on a boat is what really sells it so having a older motor in my opinion is not good even if it is new. Once it is off the lot the value drops

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I disagree…. while it would have been nice to understand that boat motors don’t really go by a specific year, it makes no difference, and it sounds like a great deal. Several years down the road, the in service date, and condition will matter, as even less emphasis will be put on the model year than exist now.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

The purchase agreement definitely sates that he is buying a 2014 motor

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

My 2009 Alumacraft came with a new 150 Yamaha marked 2006. Contact the dealer and they can explain it. You will not find a Yamaha motor stamped 2014 for several years. When you trade or sell it, the motor will be considered new the year you bought the boat.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

From Yamaha Site…similar links for Etec & Mercury as well.

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/FAQ/model-year-elimination

http://www.mercurymarine.com/service-and-support/storage-and-maintenance/faqs/outboards/?category=modelyear

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/post/Model-Year-Designations-Discontinued-by-Evinrude-6277981

Why has the model year designation been eliminated from Yamaha Outboards?

Outboards do not change from one “Model Year” to the next; therefore a “Model Year” doesn’t communicate anything significant about the physical product. Yamaha plans to introduce new products and upgrades to models on a continuous bases instead of only at the traditional “model year change-over.” By eliminating the model year, Yamaha will be able to introduce new products (and upgrades) throughout the year, which means Yamaha will be better able to meet consumer needs in a fast changing market. Additionally, dealers and boat builders are now better able to carry adequate inventory throughout the year because they won’t have to slim down inventory in advance of a new “Model Year.” Therefore, there is a much better chance your dealer will have what you want, when you want it. Here are answers to other frequently asked questions related to elimination of the model year designation.

How will I know when my outboard was produced? All Yamaha outboards have and will continue to have a production date on the unit. A permanent appliqué is located on the starboard side of the outboard mounting bracket. The appliqué is stamped with the month/year of production for that outboard (ex. 04/07).

What if I want the newest engine or I want an outboard to match one I currently use as a twin? There is no significant difference between outboards if they are the same model. (For example, an F150 is an F150, if made yesterday or many months ago.) When Yamaha does make a substantial change to a current model (For example, the F9.9 family had a completely new block), the models would be renamed (i.e. F9.9MSH to F9.9FMSH) and reintroduced as a new outboard. The use of this new outboard designation will allow you to determine if you have the latest technology engine and to match technologies if you have twin engines. Please check the Current Model List for all current models in the Yamaha line up.

Do I still get the same limited warranty on my outboard regardless of age? Yamaha has and will continue to begin its limited warranty period at the time of registration for the first owner. Upon delivery, your outboard is inspected by the dealer and warranty registered Online. Your limited warranty starts the day of registration regardless of the age of the engine.

How do I fill out my titling information? Most boaters won’t have to worry about this, as there are only six states (Texas, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Utah, Ohio and Missouri) that require titling. Yamaha provides an MSO (Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin) with every outboard. The MSO will no longer carry a “model year” but will carry a production month/year for the outboard (ex. 04/2007). Because each titling state has different methods for titling outboards, please refer to your local title agency for the most up to date information regarding titling of outboards in the above mentioned states. Since most boat packages are valued in NADA , BUC and ABOS based on the make of boat and horsepower, not the specific year, make and model of the outboard the production date of the outboard doesn’t matter. To put it most simply, the year of outboard manufacture printed on your title is simply a field used by the titling agency.

How will my outboard be valued in appraisal publications? Since most boat packages are valued based on the horsepower of the engine, not the year, make or technology of the outboard, not having model year elimination will have not impact on value determination.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

As long as Yamaha did not make any new changes/improvements in that model since 2012, I
    would be fine with it.

So when he goes to trade it he loses 2 yrs value on the trade, correct?

Model year doesn’t seem to play the role with regards to establishing value that “hours” does when it comes time to resell the boat. I sell my boat every year and I can’t recall the last time someone asked the model year of the motors. That said, one of the first questions asked every time is how many hours I have on them.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I would say that overall cosmetic condition and the number of hours is going to have a bigger impact on the future value than the date of manufacture.

Now that so many outboards have black boxes that record use data, I can see a point in the future where everyone is going to want the black box report to see HOW the motor was used. And then they will make offers accordingly.

In case you haven’t seen the data report from your outboard, they now show things beyond total hours like % of time at different throttle positions, mixture settings, fault codes, operating temp profiles, you name it.

Your outboard is watching you.

Grouse

greenakers1972
    NULL

Should you be unfortunate and have an insurable loss, you will be paid for the year designation on the motor. Why would the manufacturer care? All dealerships should disclose this to the buyer before purchase. It would definitely impact my purchase decision. Several states do not allow this practice.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.