Crank bait bite better as water warms in Dakota

• Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Water temps jumped up to 70 and some great bites are turning on. I wrote recently about trolling cranks, that is still working, but pitching cranks is a blast and something I really enjoy. Have been having good luck pitching #10 X-raps in perch and mossback shiner on flooded roadbeds as well as from shore. The shore bite is fun as it is something quick I can do even if I just have 30 minutes during the day especially at night. Fishing the X-rap in typical jerkbait fashion is providing some close range hard hitting walleyes size has been running from 16-20 inches on the eyes. No super big girls perhaps they are laying a bit deeper. I have a few days off middle of this next week and am gonna try to get out and hit some deeper points and structure with Rippin Raps and see if some big Girls show up. Good luck this weekend I will be working, hope you all have a chance to get out. – QB

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I love those close range hits when the eyes smash those cranks. Always a blast to see how a smaller eye can come up and inhale a crank so intense like a big girl!

bullcans
    Northfield MN

How deep are you trolling right now QB?

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

BullCans – We are trolling right now from about 5-8 fow.

MaskedWalleye – Spinner rigs turned some fish for us as well, we were using revolution spinners by VMC with green and orange blades, running two hook harnesses.

We do use spinners and crawlers in some places as well as with the speed of trolling spinners especially in rod holders allowed one or two of us to be casting with said cranks. Once you figure out what is hitting and working well it was fairly easy for everyone to switch over to the cranks for some more past paced action and the ability to cover water faster. – QB

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.