Lets Talk Mosquito’s

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I am finding the mosquitos to be worse than usual right now in NW Wisconsin. All day long and just crazy early and late.
    I assume its that way all over right now, this year. What are some other area reports???

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I am finding the mosquitos to be worse than usual right now in NW Wisconsin. All day long and just crazy early and late.
    I assume its that way all over right now, this year. What are some other area reports???

I just got back from LOTW. Early and late in the day it was miserable. During the day we had enough wind to keep them at bay.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

They are awful here in Aberdeen, SD. I look like I have the chicken pox after doing some lawn work this weekend.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

They don’t seem too bad in Hudson. In Cumberland, it is unbearable all day long. They are huge and thick. I bet I sprayed bug dope on 4 times each day (I hate that stuff). Normally, they are bad early and late. They were out even when it was raining buckets.

desperado

Quote:

Early and late in the day it was miserable. During the day we had enough wind to keep them at bay.

nothin’ knocks ’em down like a few inches of ice-cover on all the standing water in the area … only 26 more weeks

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Not too bad on the east side of Mille Lacs last week. But man they showed up in force last Sat. They scoffed at the Deep woods off and ground fogger!

-J.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Minocqua area is terrible!!! Every time we let the dog out of the house she comes back in with a dozen for us to try to contain/kill before they eat us!!! I have fished and they haven’t been bad on the water, though at the boat landing, they were super horrible. Some joked that driving and killing mosquitos in the car may be more dangerous than texting and driving right now!!!

Mark

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I was in Barnes over the weekend and it was unbearable 24/7 even middle of the day in the boat. Had a friend up to fish the Brule he lasted 1 hour. Worst he had ever experienced and we have done some serious Canadian bushwhacking for brookies around Nippigon and this beat even that. Head net did not help. Gonna have to mount fire ring on both ends of pontoon and burn tires to get the Mrs to go out.

Mwal

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

On a related note, are people seeing hordes of dragon flies? We have swarms of them here at work. I think the swallows who nest in the soffits don’t mind.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You guys with the Mosquito problems need to stop killing your snakes.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Quote:

You guys with the Mosquito problems need to stop killing your snakes.

Why? Do snakes dry up the standing water

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Need to check with Pug on that one Joe.

Sharon
    SE Metro

They seem to be hungrier than normal in the Eagan/IGH area. My feet are all chewed up! I was walking at a park near a pond over the weekend and they were really bad once we got into the woods. Made for a better workout, I guess, as we were starting to jog to get back into the open area of the park.

castle-rock-clown

Commissioner, we need to send out the bat signal! Mosquitos wernt to bad at Castle Rock, as long as you had a campfire going and were willing to eat smoke.

goosehunter

Not too bad in south eastern minnesota.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I was in Cable over the wknd. I chatted with an 80 year old local and she can’t remember when they were worse. She thought perhaps last year

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I donated blood all weekend all day long in nw Wisconsin.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I’ve only swatted one cutting grass in Hudson. They were fierce in the McGregor, Mn area.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I was in Cable over the wknd. I chatted with an 80 year old local and she can’t remember when they were worse. She thought perhaps last year

That’s funny!

If you asked a old man he would have said they were so thick when he was young and his family so poor that they used to wear them to church on Sunday.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Deet 100.
    Put on LOTS. LOTS

I slept in my boat on the CroixSippi this weekend, In sandals, shorts, and a T-Shirt.

I probably have 5 bites.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

To me it seems as if they make up for lost time. I’m generalizing this, but in years of a delayed spring or late warm up, they seem to be out in EXTREME FORCE. Other years with a normal warm up they seem to be much more tolerable.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Mosquitos are terrible both in the eastern burbs and in northern MN.

And the ticks are also terrible. Both wood and deer ticks are EVERYWHERE. The deer ticks are especially worrisome to me because they can carry Lyme’s Disease.

Don’t forget to spray your pants legs, boots, socks, and everywhere else a tick can get. Also, if you don’t know the symptoms of Lymes, look them up. It’s critical that if you suspect you have Lymes, to find a doctor that will take the disease and diagnosing it seriously and pursue it aggressively. Many physicians in the metro still do not think of Lymes because they consider it a “rural problem” that doesn’t impact city/suburb dwellers.

Grouse

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

Quote:

http://www.bugsoother.biz/

This stuff works!!!

Have you tried it on your dog? Ours bring in 10 skeets with them after they have been let out to do their duty.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

terrible but disappear with Deep Woods Off with Deet!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.