One fish, one day

• Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I’m going to have to join the muskie guys!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

23# largemouth from a drainage ditch in FLA.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Musky… big one too. 62″ momma… head like a gator. Battle scars and all. Topwater would be cool, have her wake the bait for a few yards before hitting it like a hand grenade…. then game on.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

You have only one day left to fish. You can only fish for one freshwater species. The fish will be a all time personal best and is what you will be remembered for by your family and friends for all time.

What’s the species?

I believe the OP should be subject to the same question as well.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Giant sunfish off my favorite dock.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Give me a four weight flyrod and put me on a stretch of desolate mountain stream and I could die happy. It really wouldn’t even matter if the fish are biting.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I am going to go with a 2lb bluegill thru the ice. Few lakes in the Midwest where I have seen pictures of 2+ lbers, but I am drawing a blank on the lake name, sorry!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Quote:

You have only one day left to fish. You can only fish for one freshwater species. The fish will be a all time personal best and is what you will be remembered for by your family and friends for all time.

What’s the species?

I believe the OP should be subject to the same question as well.

Everybody knows i can’t catch fish.

I just troll a lot.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I just troll a lot.

I see what you did there.

‘Cummon man, everyone has dreams. Aspirations. Spill or forever be banished to talking about baseball.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Mine would be a ice hole and a 34″ walleye.

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

Quote:

I just troll a lot.

I see what you did there.

‘Cummon man, everyone has dreams. Aspirations. Spill or forever be banished to talking about baseball.

From anybody else I would ignore the question

Pike.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

From anybody else I would ignore the question

Pike.

For anyone else I wouldn’t have asked it.

Carry on.

g38
    South metro

This is one of those question which is kind of bogus, tho i understand it is theoretical… but it is like asking what;s your fav food – brick fired pizza, oh yeah… but then again, steak off the grill, um, but fettucini alfredo, but then again…
    ok – Smallie.

Brian Hoffies

So what we learned today is IDO is much more then a Walleye site. Diversity makes the world go round!

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I didn’t see anyone put steelhead on the list. I’d trade the one fish PB for a number of hook ups. I want to be trying to keep fish out of timber or that inevitible snag. Having a fish shoot downstream and having to chase it down. Or… having it shoot thru your legs and getting you all turned around. Leaping fish throwing the hook leaving you in a tangled mess. That’s what I’d want. One last hurrah of comedy and triumph.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

It always amazes me how rare truly big fish really are. This site has a lot of guys who really know what they’re doing, people that fish hard and fish often, are out there in the cold and the rain and the snow, and fish all over place….And yet those 2 pound Bluegills, 15 pound Walleyes, 35 pound Northerns, 60 pound Flatheads, etc. remain mythical creatures.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Well played Grasshopper!

c_hof
    New Richmond, WI

Gotta go with a Musky. My PB is 51″, so I’m thinking something close to 60″

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

30″+ Wiper in Kansas, it would also be fun to try for them with ice gear too…

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Will have to choose a 55+ inch Muskie on a Jackpot….I will say the best fight I have ever had with a fish was a Lake Superior Brown trout…He whooped me good….

stuart
    Mn.

Artic grayling,pound for pound the strongest fish I have ever caught.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

World record walleye from any lake and I’m hungry. Shore lunch for everyone. That will keep the friends and family talking long after I’m gone.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

15 pound saugeye.

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

It wouldn’t be freshwater. Sorry but it would have to be a blue tuna!

riverbank-rat
    River Falls, WI

Freshwater? WHITE STURGEON!!!

If i could fish Saltwater it would be Sharks hands down, no questions asked.

Once you realize you need Flathead Catfish gear to handle a 15-30 pound shark you will understand why you need an 80-130lb class rod with a Penn Senator 12/0 to handle anything over 9 feet long!

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

A 26 inch Smallie, just as I was being swept over a monster waterfalls. Found wedged between two boulders; rod with fish still clutched tightly in my cold dead hand. (LOL)

Duke M

One day left to fish? Based on Calvin’s post I think I’d like to join him and we could have a pair of 2 lb. gills to release. Could just each keep a dozen 8 inchers for the pan?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

Open water Lake Superior lake trout on a jig rod. 40# plus.

I’d go with a smile on my face… and a really sore set of forearms.

Reminds me of a long lost fiend Dennis Cook R.I.P Buddies

Dennis passed away ten years ago, he had the fish of a Life time on his ice rod when he succumbed to a stroke after a long battle, he never did get to see it.

Didn’t mean to rain on your post James, but it brought back a lot of fond memories.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

It would have to be a 100lb plus flathead for me. Believe it or not my friend tim got ahold of one locally here and brought it to the waters right below him because he was fishing of the dam here in town. He called me right after he lost it and this is how it happened. He hooked it and played it for over an hour and by this time alot of people were standing right beside him and also watching from shore, watching him fight this fish.

He had this home made bridge net that you lower up water from the flathead and let it drift underneath your fish, then when you can raise the net you’ve got him and all you do then is lift the fish up and over the handrails. Tims bridge net was built reasonably well and he made the rim out of a 26″ bicycle rim and some tennis netting and sewed it together. It worked well on all of the flatheads he was catching, then he got ahold of this big one.

He let the net drift under this flathead and tried to get the head into this 26′ in dia, bicycle rim and it wouldn’t fit into the rim, his head was that wide, I’ve talked to witnesses that verified it. So what him and Jeremiah did was finially got the tail of this flathead and most of his body in the net and lifted, they said grunting while they were lifting and jeremiah is a big boy, 6-2 and 250 lbs. They got this flathead to the top of the handrail and the bottom of net broke out and it fell breaking the fishing pole line and fell back into the water. Everyone around gave out a big sigh. He called me right after it happened and told me what happened and I kinda doubted him a little, but then I talked to a couple witnesses and they verified the story. How much does a big flathead weigh when its head is wider then 26″, anyone know? Mine would be catching a 100 plus flathead.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.