Milwaukee Cohos

• eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Following up GreyBeard’s report from last weekend out of Racine, cohos have shown up in Milwaukee in big numbers over the past few days. Limit catches are the norm right now and its just a matter of how long it takes you to get it done. Was out both days over the weekend and it took around 15-20 bites to get our ten each day. Fish are tightly grouped, so when you get bit, its best to circle back through and see how many you can pull off the school. All of our action is coming on “coho rigs” which are small flies pulled 12-18″ behind 8″ red\ orange dodgers. These are dragged behind planer boards with inline weights or leadcore, and ran off dipsys and downriggers as well. These fish are definitely manageable on walleye trolling gear and are some of the best eating fish of the year. As the water warms, these fish will continue to push off shore into their normal summer haunts, but right now there is plenty of fish to be had in shallow from 20-50 fow. So, if you want to snag up some salmon for the grill or smoker, now is the time! Good luck if you get out and as always stay safe!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That picture is beautiful.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Nice catch & report!

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Going to give Bender another shot tomorrow… hoping the flicker shads and regular walleye gear can hook me up with a couple like a couple weeks ago. Was thinking of sliding a little further north out of Milwaukee.

Thanks for the report.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

That picture is beautiful.

X2!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Inspired me to make jerky today.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Inspired me to make jerky today.

I thought of you on the way to cabin last Thursday we stopped at McDonalds meats and loaded up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.