Yahamaha Jet boats

• hosejr

So my wife is winning the battle to get another river cruiser boat.. dont worry I will still have the fishing boat… just wondering if anyone has any exp with the yamaha boats.. I am liking the jet drive becasue he have a little one and not having a prob to hit while playing in the water is a huge plus. right now we are looking at a regal 2100 or a yamaha 212SS input please.. i know they are not as good on gas.. thanks

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

The dealer at the boat show said that even though they have come a long way that if you are in a lake prone to heavy weeds or debris to stay away from them. I can tell you that I spend plenty of time on the water and I have yet to see one in person floating. They are a very cool looking boats but you are probably better off with a good old I/O with a large swim deck.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

They are a solution looking for a problem, IMO.

I would question if jets are really safer around children. First, no child should get anywhere near a propeller with a turning engine. Secondly, swim platforms add both safety and usability. I would bet there are far more injuries from people slipping off of decks and ladders while trying to get into the water than there are from prop strikes.

Jets are gas hogs. Roughly 20-30% less efficient than propped boats. I will tell you as a fellow river cruiser owner that range and economy do matter as it’s not uncommon for me to go through 100-150 in fuel every weekend we use the boat. That doesn’t sound like much, but add in a stop for burgers, bar tab, drinks on the boat, etc… A long run like from Hudson to Wabasha, and it’s even more.

I have driven a twin engine jet and I can tell you that low speed handling and docking maneuvers are more difficult in a jet until you have substantial experience. The nature of a jet is there is no “rudder” effect to the steering as with a conventional I/O. You only change direction by applying more thrust. A twin engine gives more maneuvering options, but IMO it would take a long time to get used to and you have to be very nimble in terms of applying power, reversing and spinning the wheel to the opposite lock, etc, etc.

How experienced are you handling boats over 20 feet and of substantial weight?

Grouse

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.