Dehumidifiers…

• fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Over the years we have owned a few standalone dehumidifiers. These are the type that have the bucket that needs to be manually emptied or has a hose that is directed to a drain. They have all had one thing in common in that they make a lot of noise.

So, do you have a recommendation of a quality product that is quiet? Maybe I’m asking too much and one does not exist.

Are there ones to stay away from?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Good topic! I’ll be watching.

garyeg

…and they just eat up the energy like mad. performance is ok at best. Sahara and Hi E Dry are the units you want to Google. They cost more but perform circles around the typical ones you by at the box stores. They also use dramatically less energy. Quiet as required.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

WOW! For the money I’m sticking with my old, loud inefficient one.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I have electric heat and required a dehumidifier. I bought a more expensive sears one that was one of there better ones. not sure how much I paid for it but its lasted like 15 plus years. we only run it during the winter when the house is closed up.

as far as noise??????? yea it makes some but actually can put me ni-nite as its a constant. better then my wifes snoring.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I was once told by someone with the fire department, that dehumidifiers are on, if not at the top of causes for home fires…. Discussion came up after a basement fire started at a neighbor’s home. First point made, was to keep them in a non-cluttered area so if they fail and cause a problem, there is less chance of them igniting other items that can fuel a fire.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

I was once told by someone with the fire department, that dehumidifiers are on, if not at the top of causes for home fires…. Discussion came up after a basement fire started at a neighbor’s home. First point made, was to keep them in a non-cluttered area so if they fail and cause a problem, there is less chance of them igniting other items that can fuel a fire.

Makes sense. The fan broke on mine once and it ran a long time without one. It was scary hot. Now I am worried!

zooks

Our GE finally kicked the bucket after 6 years and we got a Danby 70 pint off Amazon instead. Condenser is not nearly as loud but if the unit is powered on, the fan runs constantly, which is annoying. Seems to work well but have no experience with the fancier models. Good luck.

wannaplay

shallow pan of water next to one of the air return vents…problem solved.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

That would do the opposite of a dehumidifier.

(My mother-in-law does that in the winter. My dog loves the extra water dishes.)

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

I am not sure what you mean by this. Please explain.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

Quote:

That would do the opposite of a dehumidifier.

This was my first thought.

desperado

soooo, a pan of dry air next to one of the return vents then ?

or maybe a sponge duct taped onto the return vent grate ?

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Quote:

You must mean humidifier????

big_g
    Isle, MN

or for raising warm water goldfish perhaps ????

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.