Fenwick HMX 6’6 ML Opinions

• BBKK
    IA

Can anyone with this rod please let me know your opinions of this rod? ie sensitivity, durability, balance, etc. Thinking it might be a good rod for fishing for white bass, but double as a back-up walleye rod as well. Specifically the HMX-S66ML-F.

I’m using a 6’6 MLF premier right now and it is doing okay, but with the heavy guides and full cork handle it gets a little tiring after 100 or so bass. Plus I think the heavy guides dampen the action a little bit and turn it from a F to more of a MF. With the HMX’s thin SS guides with titanium inserts and a split grip, I think it might work a little better for what I want.

Plus I like the warranty fenwick has over st. croix. Usually I catch around 2000 whites a season, so the rods take a beating.. Stuff breaks… Fenwick’s warranty process is to send them pictures and $9.95 to replace the rod. 5 year warranty on the HMX. So that’s another plus IMO.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I have two of these set up with Presidents and mono as jig pitching and dragging rods. I’ve really liked them and caught Walleyes up to 9lbs on them. I can’t give you a full fledged sensativity report with braid though, because I bought these specifically for mono rods, but they have pretty good feel with mono, so I’d guess it’d be better with light braid.

I also can’t comment on fatigue as I’m either holding them dragging, or pitching for an hour or so, so I don’t use them for any long periods of time vertical jigging. I do think they’re a little long for long periods of time vertical, and prefer a 6′ or 6’3″, but that’s just me.

adamgdunn
    Iowa

I have 4 fenwick hmm rods including a 6’6″ ml. It is my go to rod for fishing walleyes and smallies in central iowa On the rivers. Everything from cranks to jigs to rigging. Really great versatile rod. Nice and sensitive with braid.

Knutty

BBKK
    IA

Thanks guys. I’ve been reading up on them in my spare time and I haven’t really found anything too negative.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.