Asian carp part 2

• kris_brantner
    My river

The second Monday in October will now be referred to as “Indigenous People’s Day,” rather than Columbus Day, on all official city communications in Minneapolis following a unanimous City Council vote on Friday morning.

The resolution brought hundreds of people to City Hall to commemorate the vote, which Native American activists have been seeking for many years.

“It’s been a long time coming,” said Clyde Bellecourt, a civil rights organizer. “For me, it’s been almost 50 years that we’ve been talking about this pirate.”

The language of the resolution notes that the federal government, state government and city government still recognize Columbus Day “in accordance with the federal holiday established in 1937.” City attorney Susan Segal said some ordinances and collective bargaining agreements — not to mention a few parking meters — still mention Columbus Day.

But the new holiday will be reflected on city messaging, said city clerk Casey Carl. That includes the official calendar of the City Council and committee meetings.

“This is not necessarily about Columbus. He is not the center of our existence,” said Council Member Alondra Cano, who spearheaded the change. “This is about the power of the American Indian people and indigenous communities all over the world. We are setting the record straight.”

Both state Rep. Susan Allen and U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison said before the vote that they were interested in making similar efforts at the state and federal level.

“I hadn’t thought of it until a young man just said ‘What about doing [this] on the federal level?” Ellison said in an interview Friday. “I said that’s an idea. So we’re going to be thinking about it now.”

Allen, the first Native American woman elected to the Legislature, expressed interest in modifying the state statute recognizing Columbus Day.

“That is definitely something that we’re interested in pursuing,” Allen said in an interview.

The final resolution was scaled back from another version earlier in the week, which stated that the city should rename Columbus Day itself. The final resolution does not rename Columbus Day, but rather recognizes Indigenous People’s Day on the same date.

“I see this as a very small piece of the much larger healing that has to happen in our country so that we can be whole again,” said Council Member Cam Gordon.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I know I can breathe easier now.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Lets trade them ‘Indigenous People’s Day’ for their nets.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

“It’s been a long time coming,” said Clyde Bellecourt, a civil rights organizer. “For me, it’s been almost 50 years that we’ve been talking about this pirate.”

That’s hurtful. I am going to need counseling now.

Keith Ellison You people in Mpls elect a beaut there.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Kris, how can you bring up something like this on

National Spank Out Day.

(putting an end to spanking and no, I can’t make this shituff up.)

desperado

Quote:

National Spank Out Day.

Hey! Aren’t the people who promote this day the same ones who say what two (or more) consenting adults do behind closed doors is nobody else’s business?

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

National Spank Out Day.

…And here i thought it was National SPAM Out Day…rrr

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That is poorly named. Spanking out has a totally different meaning with me. I suppose the next thing you guys are going to tell me is there is a National Stroke Awareness Month.

desperado

the proponents of positive image and esteem are planning give yourself a hand day

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Quote:

“This is not necessarily about Columbus. He is not the center of our existence,” said Council Member Alondra Cano, who spearheaded the change. “This is about the power of the American Indian people and indigenous communities all over the world. We are setting the record straight.”

Maybe “spearheaded” was not the best choice of wording here.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

the proponents of positive image and esteem are planning give yourself a hand day

When the wife is in her moods I give myself a hand at night to keep up morale

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

That is poorly named. Spanking out has a totally different meaning with me. I suppose the next thing you guys are going to tell me is there is a National Stroke Awareness Month.

It’s also on of my favorite days.

National Oatmeal Cookie Day.

No, I’m still not making this up.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

“That’s hurtful. I am going to need counseling now. “

You don’t need counseling now, Pug. What you need is a fully politically correct day, named after you or your hero. Maybe we can call May 3 “Pug’s Day” and make sure that it is always on a Monday to allow the federal & State governments to close, so they can’t make decisions on that day. We can erect a statue at Evert’s boat launch of BK, bowing down in respect as you start out in your boat to catch something big! I know. I know. It would be a big statue, but this would be a big day! Oh, dear! I hope I didn’t offend anyone with what I said.

kris_brantner
    My river

Its spank one out day today? I better get on that. A few times.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

It seems like the only way you can legally be offended any more is if you go to a movie. They can offend you & everyone else by saying or doing anything they want…….and….the more disgusting the better rating the movie gets. I wonder if people would pay us to offend them, like they do in movies? We could even provide a PG-13, R, or XXX rating, so they had an idea how offensive we could be! Anyone willing to get paid to be offensive?
    The obnoxious part we could just throw in for free……..

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

I will continue to celebrate and recognize Columbus day. Regardless of whether or not he discovered the place first, he did set in motion the colonization of our nation that we now live in. All of the freedoms we have can be traced back to him. I feel no guilt.

Also, if I’m not mistaken, every day is Spank out day…

Also also, I believe I saw somewhere that today is national honesty day (apparently we need a holiday for that now).

desperado

Quote:

Also also, I believe I saw somewhere that today is national honesty day (apparently we need a holiday for that now).

that’s not true … nice try though

desperado

ya, I know. I googled it and read about it and knew it was true before I posted that it wasn’t
    ^^ see what I did there ?

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

You’ll have to excuse my weather-born edginess…very nice!

desperado

all in good fun … now on to a new thread of foolishness “the most awsome of non-traditional holidays”

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

National Oatmeal Cookie Day.

I thought your favorite was National Bait Master Day.

Ed, my privilege as a result of accidental birth makes every day Pug day.

riverbank-rat
    River Falls, WI

Quote:

all in good fun … now on to a new thread of foolishness “the most awsome of non-traditional holidays”

Even though it’s tradition for me, I take National Catfishing Day off work

Not to be confused with National Catfish Day, which is June 25th celebrating the farm-raised cats used for grocery stores and restaurant dishes. National CatfishING Day occurs multiple times per year, depending on the weather. When conditions are perfect for it to be impossible to go a minute without a bite, it’s a National Catfishing Day and all Cat Men are to hand work the sick day card

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

I thought your favorite was National Bait Master Day.

I see what you did there. And stroke day? Genius!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.