truck acting possessed…

• smoke grub

okay my men of wisdom..again, I come to you.. my previous, number one truck, sat most of the winter.. it acted like gas line freeze.. and I just couldn’t get it going until after it warmed.. once the weather broke, about two months ago, I got it to run and put new gas in it.. but I just haven’t used it.. so I needed it to run two weekends ago.. as my wife took the other truck out of town.. Gees.. got in the truck, it started ran all over town , did the interstate, every thing.. and the more I used it the better it ran.. but I let it sit for a few days.. NOW IS WHEN THE TROUBLE REALLY STARTED.. I can get it to run.. until the cold idle stops. I mean, like tonight.. I ran it, and revvved it no problem, until it warms a bit..and then you cannot touch the accelerator.. one touch it coughs and spits and dies.. and then it doesn’t want to start.. and when it starts.. it runs for about one minute.. coughs spits shakes, and dies.. help me , my men of wisdom.. I put some Sea foam in the truck earlier this week.. but.. I am totally confused..

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Might help if you post the make model etc. cause there might be someone on here that had the same problem with there vehicle of the same make model etc. Hope you figure it out.

Tim Reszler
    Kenosha

Agreed. Start with the fuel filter

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Muffler bearing from that description.
    Sorry, need make, model, engine and year to help you out more.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

If I remember right he has an older Chevy truck with throttle body injection.

My first step would be to replace fuel filter if no help take a look at the distributor cap and rotor if good.. inspect the shaft on the distributor,they have been know to have the bearing go bad and cause side to side play causing a severe misfire and doing what you described.

Make sure all plug wires are not mouse chewed also.

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Two things come to mind, unplug you vacuum line to your EGR valve and try running or possible bad injector. Carb spray down the throttle body when it’s acting up, if it runs better you have a fuel delivery problem.

smoke grub

this truck is a 99 with fuel injection.. so I don’t believe I can ‘spray the carb’… but thanks for this influx of info..I really appreciate it..

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Egr valve is a common problem with those Chevys. I have a 99 and have had the same thing happen more then once and the spring gets stuck in the egr from built up carbon. Had other mid 90s Chevys where the same thing would happen. Take it off and blow In It with an air compressor.

josh_holliday
    Oxford, Wi

well I guess my first question would be is the check engine light on?? I have also had numerous vehicles in the shop that would run good cold and like crap warm. I have replaced lots of mass air flow sensors in that case. but it should set a code in the computer.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Fuel pressure regulator

desperado

acting possessed is better than being repossessed, I guess

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Quote:

well I guess my first question would be is the check engine light on?? I have also had numerous vehicles in the shop that would run good cold and like crap warm. I have replaced lots of mass air flow sensors in that case. but it should set a code in the computer.

X2

big_g
    Isle, MN

he didn’t say “spray the carb”, he said “carb spray” down the throttle body (ie air intake)… you should have one of them and if you don’t, that’s the problem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.