Antique woodworking tools pt. 2

• dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Had a chance to take some photos of what Ive got. Any advice will be helpful. Also a couple pics of old farming tools I think…

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Most worth little I have over a hundred planes like that they sell for around 5-10 bucks but depends on the person. People who collect look for brand name items with models. Cool stuff just no much of value.

iowa roger
    North central Iowa

The pic on the bottom right is of corn husking hooks that were used to husk corn in the horse drawn wagon days in the fields.
    Some of the Amish farmers might be interested in your stuff. I would try and contact some of them.
    You see them at farmers markets and farm auctions.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

To me, the most interesting plane is the first picture. I believe the plane with the curved sole and iron was a plane to shape bannister rails. The half round plane iron shaped the top of the hand rail for a bannister.

The other wooden planes are all common wooden planes. There’s always the chance that one of them was by a famous maker, I couldn’t tell you from the picture. They also could very well be all hand made. There is a limited market for these because they are almost strictly collector’s items with very few people seeking them out for actual use.

The iron Stanley looks to me to be about a #5 or #6. A nice plane, but common as dirt. it looks like it needs some TLC.

The set is interesting mainly because of your link to the owner, I’d think. Also, by having a set, you get a better view into what our ancesters had to work with as they built this country.

Grouse

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Well crap, better go to work today I guess. No retirement yet. Thanks for the input folks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.