antique wood working tools

• dbrode
    Mingo, IA

When all else fails, ask the IDOers. Is anyone here knowledged in antique wood working tools? I have been willed a group of hand drills, block planes, mallets, squares, angle finders and a tool box. I am looking to sell them, but I have no clue of their value. I can post some pics if anyone would like. Very few markings on the tools as far as dates or brands. Thanks for the help and tight lines to all!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a enough knowledge to be dangerous.. Tools are very cyclical, sometimes planes are hot, then its saws… no rhyme or reason. Drills (braces) are plentiful, egg beater drills bring some money..$20-$30 if the squares are starrett, you have some value there. Chances are rare you have a lot of value.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I have a ton of old tools probably dwarf your set. Most have little value. Only the rarest is worth anything. eBay is a good place to start. I am also slowly selling this off. Most items less then 5 bucks. Only specific hand planes such as Stanley’s go well but the model is important. Wood planes not worth really anything.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Tool have a weird market. In the shop we are in tools can sit there for a long time and then someone will come along and buy one. If someone is looking specifically for something you have, then you can be a lucky seller.

One word of advice: don’t take the tools to antique shops to sell them. The prices you be offered will be low since mark-up will have to be considered. Another tip is to clean them up before showing them or taking pictures. By cleaning up I mean to wipe dust and dirt off the items, maybe use a very fine steel wool to “lightly” remove surface rust if there is any and then wipe everything down with a quality oil…orange oil works very well for this.

It might help to look each item over and each tool’s brand and get model numbers off the tools if there is any. Lay the items out in a nice display and take a picture. Take a picture of each item individually. Using the info you get from each tool do an internet search of each. You can get a very good idea of the actual value if you spend some time researching these, then advertise for what you’re willing to settle for. And if you do go to antique shops, take the pictures into the shop, not the actual tools. Have the tools along and tell any serious persons that they can come to your vehicle to see them….you’ll be in your element and they’ll be outside of theirs.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I buy old and antique tools to use, so I have planes, chisels, saws, etc.

I would strongly advise against doing anything to the tools as far as cleaning them, removing rust, etc. If improperly done (and what “properly done” involves, varies widely by tool) this can destroy the value of the tool. It’s simply not worth it unless you know what you’re doing. Blow the dust off of them and leave them as is.

As others have said, this probably isn’t a goldmine, but you could have a gem or two that will have surprising value. Molding planes and the related sets of irons, for example, can sell for silly prices.

If the tools come in a fitted, hand made case, they may be worth a premium as a full set.

The most money will almost always be achieved, however, by selling each piece individually on eBay. This will be time consuming and you’ll have to do your own research to figure out what each tool is, etc.

If you happen to have a Stanley #112 scraper plane, I would love to buy it from you for current market value and I assure you it would live a happy life doing what it was meant to do: Be used to work wood and NOT left to rust on a display shelf.

Grouse

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Patina is what the beautiful finish is called and I’ve seen a lot of value “scrubbed” away on various items over the years.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Post some pictures, sounds like there is some knowledge here. I’m keeping my eyes open for some wooden plans, hollows & rounds specifically.

Anybody else here sharpen hand saws?? Just starting to learn, and actually not too hard.

fishingdad

Like several posters said you probably did not inherit your retirement fund, but may have a couple of gems. I have a collection of antique tools, some I purchased some from my grandpa. There are books that you can purchase that discuss the various atributes that make a particular item valuable. Also look around on ebay for what things are selling. Some of the more interesting tools can get pricey but it depends on what each person is interested in. Personaly I like old wood planes especially ones that are used to create some of the interesting moldings. Post some photos of what you have.

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Thanks for the input folks! I will get photos next time I’m at my dads shop.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.