Waters and woods

• stillwaiting
    rochester mn

Watched waters and woods today .they went back to port Clinton . Was completely distgusted by all the monster walleye they had on the ice . Made me sick to see them keeping them .

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Come on up to Mille Lacs in Late April – early May….

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

According to his guide it sounded like if sport fishermen don’t keep enough then the dnr just gives more quota to the commercial fisherman.

Something tells me its not a fair size comparison of an Erie fish versus a typical walleye in MN either.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Watched waters and woods today .they went back to port Clinton . Was completely distgusted by all the monster walleye they had on the ice . Made me sick to see them keeping them .

You should see the cleaning tables at any of the public ramps.

FDR

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

You should see the cleaning tables at any of the public ramps.

X2 – show up with a few 18-20 inchers. You will be ridiculed for being a baby killer.

riverruns
    Inactive

Quote:

. Made me sick to see them keeping them .

Why? Did they do something wrong?

redrnger

They say right in the show that they keep them because if they do not reach the catch quota the dnr could open it up to commercial fishing (netting).They need to keep the walleyes in check so the forage base remains good, so there are more liberal limits there and there not hurting anything by keeping them.Rather have fisherman keep them than netters any day.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Erie is such a different fishery than we are accustomed to. The fish grow faster and bigger. It also re-produces fairly efficiently each year. The first time we were headed out there, I did a ton of research and it was very clear. The DNR wants the sport fisherman to keep lots of fish.

darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

Does Gillespie’s perpetual excitement seem forced and over the top to anyone else?

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Quote:

Erie is such a different fishery than we are accustomed to. The fish grow faster and bigger. It also re-produces fairly efficiently each year. The first time we were headed out there, I did a ton of research and it was very clear. The DNR wants the sport fisherman to keep lots of fish.

The DNR will not allow catch and release walleye tournaments on Erie I don’t think. Our past Erie PWT events were all kill events–tons of kept walleyes each year–all donated to the local food shelves and nursing homes etc., per the local and DNR wanting it done that way.

stillwaiting
    rochester mn

Quote:

They say right in the show that they keep them because if they do not reach the catch quota the dnr could open it up to commercial fishing (netting).They need to keep the walleyes in check so the forage base remains good, so there are more liberal limits there and there not hurting anything by keeping them.Rather have fisherman keep them than netters any day.

I didn’t catch that . I fish the Mississippi and hate to see people keep huge walleye even if it is legal to do it .CPR for me .

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Quote:

Quote:

I didn’t catch that . I fish the Mississippi and hate to see people keep huge walleye even if it is legal to do it .CPR for me .

It ain’t apples to apples here and at Erie. Keeping a 26″ walleye there is like catching and keeping a 17″-18″‘r here when it comes to the numbers/impact to the lake.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.