some one explain this to me..no stores

• smoke grub

La Crosse has excellent access to interstates, a decent airport, and has Fedex and UPS shipping outlets, in fact two different Fedex outlets.. but Cabelas goes to Prairie Du Chen.. we have Farm and Fleet instead of Fleet Farm.. and now Scheels is coming to Rochester.. Wouldn’t you think that a place that is the of only three area that ever had a major Bass Tourny, in the whole state of Wisconsin, have a better chance of having a decent Big Box store..? I like Bob’s.. and I give him business.. but for electronics or just a huge array of tackle, doesn’t or shouldn’t La Crosse, have a store like this? and Trust me, GANDER DON”T COUNT..
    what is wrong with LaCrosse that we don’t get noticed? heck we used to be Number ONE.. ( small city in the country).. we have a heck of a river.. and a pretty good base to sell to .. why don’t we have a decent big box store around here? Opinions.. truths … conspiracy theories ?

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I can agree with you that Gander Mtn. sucks!!How are they still in business?? Thats all i have around me is stupid Gander Mtn!

grizz177
    Nisswa Mn.

Easy enough to answer…People going on vacation already plan on spending $$$$$. I-90/LaCrosse really is not the preferred route for people going up north Cabelas Owatonna catching people coming up 35 to the lakes. Cabelas Rodgers same scenario. I would guess the majority of out of state anglers coming to Minnesota from the SE are more likely to take 94 up than 90 over. I live in the Brainerd area and we do not have a big store either in town, Reeds being an hour away. They prolly figure the locals are not going to fill a shopping cart and the tourists have already been raped on the way up. Just my opinion

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

I feel your pain, however, their is a new Cabela’s going up 30 miles from me in Sun Prairie, WI so my prayers have been answered. Given time, I hope yours are too.

I agree with you though, you’d think LaCrosse would be a no brainer. Perhaps your local officials are not as accommodating or as competitive as other communities in trying to attract a big box sportsmans paradise?

phishirman
    Madison, WI

I felt the same way about Madison until I heard we were finally getting a Cabelas. Gander is a complete joke unless you’re a woman looking for clothes. I’ll trade you 3 Ganders within 45 minutes of my house for 1 Bob’s. I wish we’d get a Fleet Farm here too since they always have a decent selection. Out of all the big box stores, Sportsman’s Warehouse was by far the best for fishing stuff. not even sure if they exist anymore. Scheels ranks right up there with [censored] IMO. Not worth walking into.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

funny. it censored out diksportinggoods. LaCrosse would be an awesome spot for BPS. Close enough to the cities, Madison and Eau Claire to generate some traffic.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Ever been to Sydney,Ne? Figure that one out.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Ever been to Sydney,Ne? Figure that one out.

Prairie Dogs and Mail Order.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

There are only two options worth while in lacrosse and the are Bobs and ace. Scotty at Bob’s takes care of you, and if he doesn’t have what I need, i check ace. I will go into gander to look at things like electronics to see what i like, but order online from other sites.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

La Crosse has excellent access to interstates, a decent airport, and has Fedex and UPS shipping outlets, in fact two different Fedex outlets.. but Cabelas goes to Prairie Du Chen.. we have Farm and Fleet instead of Fleet Farm.. and now Scheels is coming to Rochester.. Wouldn’t you think that a place that is the of only three area that ever had a major Bass Tourny, in the whole state of Wisconsin, have a better chance of having a decent Big Box store..? I like Bob’s.. and I give him business.. but for electronics or just a huge array of tackle, doesn’t or shouldn’t La Crosse, have a store like this? and Trust me, GANDER DON”T COUNT..
    what is wrong with LaCrosse that we don’t get noticed? heck we used to be Number ONE.. ( small city in the country).. we have a heck of a river.. and a pretty good base to sell to .. why don’t we have a decent big box store around here? Opinions.. truths … conspiracy theories ?

Politics ?
    maybe ?

big_g
    Isle, MN

I was in Scheels and Gander Mtn tonight killing an hour before I had to meet at a birthday party… funny how everybody will never go there, but can tell you all about the issues there and their inventory ???

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

they don’t just throw a dart at a map and that’s where they build one of those stores. they put a good amount of time and effort into it. lacrosse just must not make the cut. send a email off to the powers that be and see if they will give you a honest answer

nblasius
    SE South Dakota

Don’t get ur hopes up about Cabelas! If its anything like we have in SE south Dakota, there ice fishing inventory is over after christmas. They will be able to sell you all kinds of hunting boots for 300 bucks, but try to get a set of lazer auger replacement blades there in January. Worlds Foremost Outfitter

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

With PDC just down the road its rare for something to take more than a couple days to get here, no lines to fight through in my computer room, and its easier on my wallet not being able to wander through the store on a whim so I’m not too concerned about them not being here. But for that last minute item you need it does seem that nowhere in La Crosse will have it quite consistently.

red89
    Hudson

I don’t know what the problem is with Gander Mountain, I have got some good deals on reels and other stuff there. But I would agree I think LAX area could handle another store.

mike ice

I don’t know why somebody wouldn’t want to put a store near river, makes sense to me.

As far as Scheels in Rochester. I think there looking at the amount of visitors that come to Mayo Clinic each year. Some are going to be there more than one day and Scheels will be pretty close to Mayo. It’s the only thing I can figure.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Not to derail this from the Lacrosse area but I have the same gripe for Wausau in central Wisconsin. Fleet farm don’t get me wrong I love Fleet farm to death and then Gander (blah). Its crazy to think that such a conveniently located (I-29/51 interchange) similar to that of Lacrosse and a growing city at that, has no Cabelas, Bass pro, Sheels or even a [censored] sporting goods.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

If you have gander in your city your chances are a bit better so may be in future you may get one yet. Cabelas is realy clamping down on the throat of gander by building next to them. Gander even filed a lawsuit claiming cabelas has bought up internet domain under the gander name, click on gander you would directed to cabelas web site.
    We have a cabelas opening up in woodbury just a half mile from a gander and ten and six miles from fleet farm. The competition hopefully bennifits the consumer, did when sportsman’s was in woodbury.
    With the cabelas push with 20 new stores I see gander further drifting away from fishing and becoming more like REI with guns.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.