Insane weather

• bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Blizzard. 60mph winds. 20 below tonight (air temp). Wind chills a zillion below through tomorrow. Geez.
    There was a poll couple weeks ago asking if you preferred weather hot or cold. Was surprised by the people that chose cold. Was the majority if I’m not correct.
    So.. if it is too hot out do you;
    -carry a cooler of ice in your car in case you break down?
    -make sure you have a full gas tank so that you can run the air conditioner if something happens?
    -cover all exposed skin because it can burn and fall off your body in 5 minutes or less?
    -plan your trip carefully in case the roads close because it is too hot?
    -when the air conditioning goes out in your house is that life threatening?
    -make sure to stay out of the water because it may boil you in a few minutes?

Would be interested to know how else to prepare if it gets too hot.
    Winter

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Very good points! Don’t forget, we don’t need the roads plowed every time it rains or put stuff down on the roads to dry it up because it is slippery.

castle-rock-clown

Makes you wonder if we really belong on this earth. If all we had were the abilities of EVERY other species on this planet, we would be at best the most sparse and vulnerable inhabitants. Only God could have designed us to be able to counteract nature to this extent. Right outside anything else is miserable, I’m in a house with the heater on in my tee shirt tapping away on this contraption called a computer.

blackbay

Quote:

So.. if it is too hot out do you;
    -carry a cooler of ice in your car in case you break down?
    -make sure you have a full gas tank so that you can run the air conditioner if something happens?
    -cover all exposed skin because it can burn and fall off your body in 5 minutes or less?
    -plan your trip carefully in case the roads close because it is too hot?
    -when the air conditioning goes out in your house is that life threatening?
    -make sure to stay out of the water because it may boil you in a few minutes?

Would be interested to know how else to prepare if it gets too hot.
    Winter

Basically we are dealing with polar weather right now. So to compare this to heat you’d have to prepare for desert weather and not just a couple days of 100F. Extreme heat isn’t anything to mess with either.

red89
    Hudson

Driving from wabasha to rochester was insane tonight. The snow was blowing so hard off of some of the drifts that it was a complete white out. I was going 5mph at a couple points because I could not see. Drive safe everybody.

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

I take it you have never driven through death valley. some friends and I went through during the summer. (being young and dumb) The heat is no joke!

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

“Extreme heat isn’t anything to mess with either.”

No it is not, but talking about a desert is not comparable because we don’t live in one even though we do get those 100 plus days on occasion. Whereas it is winter for months and months…and this below average crap gets old.

-is wind chill less painful as heat index?
    -should I turn my remote starter in my truck on to get the air conditioner going?

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Ive had enough of this crap this winter, but Ill still take it over extreme heat. I can always add more layers, can’t do much for the heat (beyond getting buck naked, not really going to help anyway)

When we get stretches of extreme heat in the summer I use the remote start to cool my truck interior down (I also use it to warm the truck up in the winter).

bigdog10
    Waterloo, Iowa

Didn’t mention Death Valley… although that could be a stretch of highway 20 west of Waterloo tonight if you got caught out there.

Work with me here. I am talking about Iowa, Minnesota. Go to the North Pole if you want a comparison to Death Valley.

I am just saying..do you want it cold or do you prefer it hot? This cold stuff causes you to live differently. Geez

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

Ok I’ve also been to north slope of Alaska in January visiting a friend . I can tell you no matter how cold it gets in Minnesota, my friend you have no idea what cold is! I was stuck there for a week because it was to cold for flights out. It -60’s air temp for a week strait with windchills in -90 range. Ill never go there again in the winter

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Is that supposed to make us feel better?

I am about done with this weather. This is absolutely ridiculous.

FryDog62

I’m done with this weather too ~ How come they call it the “dead of winter” but don’t have as severe a term for the height of summer?

jerry b
    western WI

Crawled in bed last night, elec blanket set on 5, laid there thinking of green grass and campfires- – -yep, had enough winter for this year jerr

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

Quote:

Ok I’ve also been to north slope of Alaska in January visiting a friend . I can tell you no matter how cold it gets in Minnesota, my friend you have no idea what cold is! I was stuck there for a week because it was to cold for flights out. It -60’s air temp for a week strait with windchills in -90 range. Ill never go there again in the winter

It’s actually warmer there right now.

FryDog62

Boat show this weekend…boat show…boat show… just keep repeating…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I’m done with this weather too ~ How come they call it the “dead of winter” but don’t have as severe a term for the height of summer?

It isn’t the same, but there is the term dog days of summer which in my book means, get out and take advantage of the warm weather while you can, another GD winter is coming.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

You can always tell people that don`t have animals outside. On the farm when it comes to winter it can be brutal on them. Equipment people because you have to be out there to insure your animals are at least handling it. Getting equipment to even move can be challenging much less you being out there trying to work on it. Keeping water from freezing give me heat any time, animals may be uncomfortable but not life threating. Easier to mist some water on them versus trying to get them warm somehow.

GIVEW ME HEAT ANY TIME WOULD RATHER SWEAT THEN FREEZE.

edited to ad I don`t lay awake nights worrying the animals are going to die from heat.

PowerFred

Instead of complaining about this year’s brutal cold, I’m going to go up to Lake Superior in two weeks to see the ice caves that haven’t been accessable since the early 2000’s. I’ve been told they are absolutely incredible.

Yes, its cold out. But God gives us beauty in every season. Its up to US to see it and be thankful for it!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.