Good news for radio sports fans

• Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Seems KSTP is moving Phil Mackey to the 9-1 slot with Zulgad. That’s makes my day better listening to Reusse!!

Mackey & Reusse are like oil & water. Reusse KNOWS sports and Mackey THINKS he knows sports.

Kind of like guides. Would you believe the old guy who has been guiding the lake or river for 40 years or the new kid trying to carve a name for themselves?

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Who is going to partner with Patrick or is he solo?

Brian Hoffies

Solo.

PB2

Ruesse is horrible but that is a slight improvement I suppose.

troutbum
    St. Paul

(Apologies for thread hijack)

I moved to Minnesota two years ago.

For the life of me, I cannot wrap my head around Dan Common Man Cole’s employment.

Does anybody appreciate his shtick? I find him unlistenable.

The only sport he speaks competently about is his golf game.

Add to that, his sense of humor is nonexistant. What gives?

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

personally I love him but I know some people hate him. just it just depends upon what you think is funny.

Matt

David Leonidas
    Inver Grove Heights, MN

Can’t listen to that Cole guy.

wheres_waldo
    The Big Pond

Quote:

(Apologies for thread hijack)
    I moved to Minnesota two years ago.
    For the life of me, I cannot wrap my head around Dan Common Man Cole’s employment.
    Does anybody appreciate his shtick? I find him unlistenable.
    The only sport he speaks competently about is his golf game.
    Add to that, his sense of humor is nonexistant. What gives?

I listen to him just about every day. Call me crazy. I get the bit and enjoy it. Especially when Rosen is on.

Not a big fan of Zulgad but did listen when Puffy was on. Never listen to Pat because he hates the only good men’s team in the state and his voice is very irritating.

jime

He is by far the smartest and quickest guy on the radio.
    You have to realise that he does standup comedy; as does his
    brother.
    He is from the mould of Steve Cannon and Dark Star with a
    thimble full of more wit. He is laugh out loud funny….too
    bad it is only weekly… a l w a y s !
    tweed

troutbum
    St. Paul

Fair enough.

Subjective opinion re: humor aside, the guy consistently bumbles thru facts and stats like some hungover intern, while his sidekick corrects him. He knows and speaks more about Detroit than he does the Vikings. He comes across like an unprepared, rookie DJ, delivering his sophomoric high jinks with a voice that sounds like someone took a belt sander to his vocal chords. I would rather listen to Enya or a 3 hr loop of dolphin chatter.

Good on him I guess, for fooling enough people to collect a check from kfan. Im done scratching my head. I will happily turn the station off until his polar opposite counterpart hits the air at 4.

troutbum
    St. Paul

Quote:

When Minnesota legalizes pot, I could probably agree with you.

FryDog62

“Kind of like guides. Would you believe the old guy who has been guiding the lake or river for 40 years or the new kid trying to carve a name for themselves? “

…I guess depends on if the young kid has a new Lakemaster chip and 360 Imaging

bclii
    MN/AZ

Quote:

You have to realise that he does standup comedy; as does his
    brother.
    He is from the mould of Steve Cannon and Dark Star with a
    thimble full of more wit. He is laugh out loud funny….too
    bad it is only weekly… a l w a y s !
    tweed

I totally agree! Best Sports guy at kfan. Mark R does add some color when he joins him.

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

Fair enough.
    Subjective opinion re: humor aside, the guy consistently bumbles thru facts and stats like some hungover intern, while his sidekick corrects him. He knows and speaks more about Detroit than he does the Vikings. He comes across like an unprepared, rookie DJ, delivering his sophomoric high jinks with a voice that sounds like someone took a belt sander to his vocal chords. I would rather listen to Enya or a 3 hr loop of dolphin chatter.
    Good on him I guess, for fooling enough people to collect a check from kfan. Im done scratching my head. I will happily turn the station off until his polar opposite counterpart hits the air at 4.

You have stumbled onto the secrete of the common man. He doesn’t bumble the facts by accident, in fact he is one of the most knowledgeable radio guys in town. He has played the stooge & buffoon to the longest running contract at KFAN. I will say anybody who didn’t listen to him from the very beginning (20 years ago) missed some classic bits!

He is like Scotch…..it takes awhile to “get it” but once you do………..

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

Ruesse is horrible but that is a slight improvement I suppose.

Ruesse knows baseball which is where my interest lies. He also knows basketball pretty well. He doesn’t know hockey but he doesn’t pretend to either.

Patrick is your gruff old neighbor growing up. Seems kind of scary and opinionated but once you get to know him a great guy. Unlike Sid, Pat can tell a story from years ago and still get some of the facts right.

Again, if you were around for the old “sport talk” shows with Soucheray he makes more sense I guess.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.