Ultimate walleye jigging rod

• scmelik
    South Dakota

Need to lean on the experts here. I am getting ready to build a new rod for the spring. I am looking to build the ultimate jigging rod for wader fishing. If you were going to “build” the perfect rod for wader fishing throwing 1/16th to 1/8th ounce jigs what specs would you want in the rod? I don’t want to know brands just specs of your ultimate wading rod

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Since you’ll be wading and throwing lighter jigs, I’d say longer is better.

Medium Light Extra Fast will be a must here, I like the 6’9″ length, but for wading and that small of jig, a little longer might be even better. 7’6″ would give you some extra casting distance.

A 76MLXF with split grips would be pretty sweet for that application.

castle-rock-clown

X2 on what wimwuen said. I would opt for shorter if there is a lot of tree cover in your planned wading areas, longer if areas are wide open.

BBKK
    IA

If you are fishing plastics, then a 6’8-7′ MXF

If you are fishing bait, then a 6’8-7′ MLF or MLXF

I like a little more power when fishing plastics, because I Fish for a reaction strike and I need to power that hook home on the top of the jig sometimes. With bait, most of my hits are on the fall or picked up off the bottom and I sometimes don’t feel it until I go to jig again, for that a light rod really shines.

I fish 1/16 and 1/8 almost exclusively, tossing from shore.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

What type of line are you going to use? If mono then MLF if using braid MLXF. Length I would use 7′ to 8′ foot light jigs just work better on longer rods. The added casting distance wader fishing can be huge. Longer rod will give better line control keeping more line out of the water when doing a drift and faster pickup of line on the strike.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

X2 on what wimwuen said. I would opt for shorter if there is a lot of tree cover in your planned wading areas, longer if areas are wide open.

X3. I use almost exclusively 1/8oz jigs, but am going to try lighter presentations this year and I know my 610 mxf isn’t going to cast them that well. I like shorter rods for feel, but length is extremely helpful for keeping bait at a snagfree angle and getting the lures out, snag wise and for distance.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Since you’ll be wading and throwing lighter jigs, I’d say longer is better.

Medium Light Extra Fast will be a must here, I like the 6’9″ length, but for wading and that small of jig, a little longer might be even better. 7’6″ would give you some extra casting distance.

A 76MLXF with split grips would be pretty sweet for that application.

X5 Dead on !!

scmelik
    South Dakota

Thanks guys. Trumar pm sent

tbrooks11

I do a lot of tossing light jigs for shallow walleye fishing in the early months of summer. What kind of rods do you guys use for this type of presentation? I currently have a 6’6 medium ugly stik… looking for an upgrade.

Thanks!

BBKK
    IA

What do you consider light? To some people, 1/4oz is a light jig. I’ve fished a lot of 1/32 and 1/16 jigs in shallow water for eyes. When I fish shallow I fish fast because I do not want to get snagged on the rip-rap banks here, so I use a 6’6 MLF premier if I’m fishing bait or small plastics with little drag. If I’m using big plastics, like pulse-r and moxies, I use a 6’6 MXF since a lot of the fish caught are bass and I don’t want to be spending all day fighting a bass on a light rod.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

I do a lot of tossing light jigs for shallow walleye fishing in the early months of summer. What kind of rods do you guys use for this type of presentation? I currently have a 6’6 medium ugly stik… looking for an upgrade.

Thanks!

Oh I remember my first ugly stick. Man I loved that rod. Broke it in my room accidentally and literally walked out to my mom crying. Good rod. I would take look at the lower priced Fenwick models. The eagle GT handles really nice, and much better than my cheap St.Croix triumph. Take gradual steps up to see what you like on the way and tweak it with the next purchase.

BBKK
    IA

I’ve owned a couple eagle GT’s, I would suggest you go ahead and bypass that rod and step on up to the smallmouth series. Either 6’9 MLF or 6’9 MXF. I’ve held that rod and its night and day better than the GT. Plus I’ve ruined both GT’s by using braid. Ate right through the top 3 guides.

Save your pennies and put them towards a st. croix premier or higher, or a fenwick elite tech smallmouth. It sounds like a lot of money, but I can assure you it is WELL worth it.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

I’ve owned a couple eagle GT’s, I would suggest you go ahead and bypass that rod and step on up to the smallmouth series. Either 6’9 MLF or 6’9 MXF. I’ve held that rod and its night and day better than the GT. Plus I’ve ruined both GT’s by using braid. Ate right through the top 3 guides.

Save your pennies and put them towards a st. croix premier or higher, or a fenwick elite tech smallmouth. It sounds like a lot of money, but I can assure you it is WELL worth it.

While I completely agree with you on all accounts, especially the small mouth series, drooool, that is a HUGE stepup from an ugly stick.

BBKK
    IA

If you want a really super rod, find one of these! http://www.daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id=452

I have one and it is amazing, but it should be considering they cost $250. Daiwa sent me one as a replacement for a rod that broke under warranty that they did not make anymore.

The thing weighs nothing and is the most sensitive rod I have ever held. When I switch back to a premier it feels like a $10 rod compared to the daiwa.

Seriously, if you can find one.. buy it!

jigmasterflex
    Lake Wissota, Wisconsin

Up until last fall I was a boatless wonder so wading was my game entirely, I like 6’9″ or 7′ so for increased leverage to turn fish, drive hooksets and punch through the wind, but over that it might be tough to land fish in the water, I like to be able to pull them right up to my waders, one thing in particular if you’re building a rod is to maybe think about using a shorter rear grip, when I’m wading deeper (chest pocket depth) I catch my rod butt on my sweatshirt/coat a lot on hooksets because your arms are hiked up to stay out of the water, I probably always will be a wader guy, less pressure no stress (other than falling and drowning) and bigger fish, nice to see that you’re making a rod specifically for wading have to post some pics/specs when you’re done

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

After running the quantum smoke and exo rods for a couple year, I have an entire new respect.for the micro guides. Against everything I learned back in the 80’s I cast further, they keep the weight way down, and improve sensitivity.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

After running the quantum smoke and exo rods for a couple year, I have an entire new respect.for the micro guides. Against everything I learned back in the 80’s I cast further, they keep the weight way down, and improve sensitivity.

X2

tbrooks11

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Im either trolling 3/8 oz. jigs or casting 1/16th oz jigs so im trying to find the right pole that can do both effectively. Im looking at a few of the st. croixs, just afraid to break the bank in doing so.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Check out the Limit Creek 6’9″ Smoothie – Heck of a rod for the $.

Pete

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Check out the Limit Creek 6’9″ Smoothie – Heck of a rod for the $.

Pete

Mr.Pete you got a premier ML that I think might be a good middle of the road for him Ehg??? Check the classifieds brooks. 7’6″ would throw them light jigs awesome, but be good enough to troll heavier ones, might be a little loaded but not bad.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.