Lake of the woods

• mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I’m looking to take a trip to lake of the woods ice fishing the end of December 2014 into the new year of 2015 and want to be ready plenty ahead of time. I’m looking for info on what resorts you guys like and I’ve heard there’s not really a night bite there. I ran across one resort that has a package of 4 nights in a cabin and 3 days in an ice house. Is this common for lake of the woods? Is it not worth trying to fish at night and better to just head back to shore? Ive never been there before so don’t know anything about it. Have no idea if theres a better part of the lake to fish and mainly want to make sure to have a good outfitter that historically has there houses on good fish? Thanks for any info you guys can give me!

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

I know I would stay away crom cyrus resort. Wigwam is where our group is going from now on.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I would not spend time looking for a night bite on LOW, I would recommend staying with either ballards, sportsman, wigwam to name a few.

powereyes
    Elk River, MN

X2 for Arnesen’s, I have been going there at least once per winter for the past 15 years.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I would recommend the cabin/day fishing house route. Get out of the cramped house at night and enjoy a hot shower, a steak dinner, drinks and shoot some pool. Plenty of fish to be caught during the day, remember it’s vacation!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve actually done the sleeper house with River Bend resort the last two New Years and have done very well. We’ve pretty much capitalized on the early ice bite just as it was winding down.

Sleeper houses aren’t so bad, the only issue is how much stuff you need to bring with. The cooking supplies can put you over the edge as far as packing.

Next year I’m going to see if they’ll rent us a cabin without a day house and just fish in portables.

As far as resorts, I highly recommend River Bend. Paul Johnson, owner, is a great host. His prices are fair, food at the bar is excellent, and he’ll do everything possible to make you happy. He really cares about making sure you ae on fish and his guides check on you 3-4 times a day. They give you reports from other houses and have even gotten some advise about whee I can find an evening bite.

This season there has actually been a night bite. We got a few after 8 pm and heard many others catching several fish after 11 pm. Big ones too. The water has been exceptionally clear allowing a night bite.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The only other advise I have is to make sure you go in December. The bite will be phenomenal. It winds down in January. You get another hot bite in late March as well.

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

X3 for Arneson’s. They do a great job of keeping their houses on fish. I grew up with one of their top guides, Captain Tim Hill aka Wingnut, so I know they work hard for their clients! PowerEyes, myself an about 7 others will heading up for our annual winter trip this Sunday. Can’t wait to get there, I always enjoy that trip!!!

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Thanks guys! What it comes down to for the dates is that Ive got the week between xmas and new years off every year and figured I might as well get a trip in during that time and from what i can find in past posts it seams that is ussually a pretty good time to be on LOW! I’ve seen a couple of the places that you guys recomend have deels for kids too, so thinking about taking the kids as my buddy and i both have 10 year old boys that may be interested in going. Thanks for the help!

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

Better get your research done and book early for that Christmas / New Years week. Lots of like minded folks out there!

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Quote:

Better get your research done and book early for that Christmas / New Years week. Lots of like minded folks out there!

Yep that’s what i’m thinking that’s why i’m already on it. Thanks

kidfish

I wouldn’t send my worst enemy to Ballards. Army barracks are nicer than their cabins.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.